Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Henry rifle comments.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Spike

Default Henry rifle comments.

Looking for comments, good or bad, on the .22 magnum in either the Golden Boy or the regular octagon barrel.

Thank you.

Ed
Old 12-28-2008, 12:50 PM

Default RE: Henry rifle comments.

I have the 22. I won it at a DU dinner. It is the smoothest lever action I have seen. If that helps any?

How do you like your S&W M&P40? I just bought one. I havent even fired it yet.

Thanks.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the 22 as well, but not the magnum. It was a gift frommy father in law and I was a little skeptical about it until i shot a few rounds through it. Surprisingly, it was VERY accurate and the action was smoothe and solid. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another Henry 22 if there came a time when I needed another one.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

I dont have one and the only time I ever handled one was on the used gun rack. I was impressed with the slickness of the action. It felt like glass on glass.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd MUCH rather have the STEEL reciever Winchester 9422m instead of the pot metal (zinc) reciever with covering. I can absolutely testify as to the Winchester 9422m quality/accuracy.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

We got a Henry youth 22 .Lr model not so long ago for the grandkids. Fit & finish & the wood is pretty nice & its smooth yep. It shoots pretty well to ( dont like the plastic barrel band etc much)
Old 01-02-2009, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

......I agree that they're ot "Cadillacs" but they sure function well and are suprisingly accurate. Good value for the money, I feel.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

Well, I guess I'm the only person who's had a bad experience with a Henry Golden Boy. Mine was 17hmr though. I bought mine brand new, took it home and cleaned it real good and make sure it was ready go to the range. I got half way through the first box of shells and it just started jamming. So I put it up and decided to send it to the manufacture. They replaced the mechanism and sent it back. I took it out to the range and same thing. Make a long story short I went through this three times and the darn thing kept on jamming and they finally told me that they messed up in the boring of the barrel. Six months later I got it back and then sold it for a marlin 22 mag bolt action.

Overall opinion of the golden boy is that for target shooting it may not be a bad gun. It's definately a smooth little gun but I've heard of more than one other person having a similar situation to mine with acouple of the henry rimfire rifles so I don't usually recommend them.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a Golden Boy 22 and it is smooth and fun to shot if you enjoy nostalia and fairly accurate! I have Winchester 52 targets for real accuracy but the Henry would be fun chasing tree rats and rabbits!
Old 01-22-2009, 07:01 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: IndyHunter83

Well, I guess I'm the only person who's had a bad experience with a Henry Golden Boy. Mine was 17hmr though. I bought mine brand new, took it home and cleaned it real good and make sure it was ready go to the range. I got half way through the first box of shells and it just started jamming. So I put it up and decided to send it to the manufacture. They replaced the mechanism and sent it back. I took it out to the range and same thing. Make a long story short I went through this three times and the darn thing kept on jamming and they finally told me that they messed up in the boring of the barrel. Six months later I got it back and then sold it for a marlin 22 mag bolt action.

Overall opinion of the golden boy is that for target shooting it may not be a bad gun. It's definately a smooth little gun but I've heard of more than one other person having a similar situation to mine with acouple of the henry rimfire rifles so I don't usually recommend them.
Might be an Indiana thing, since so many lever actions have hit the state in the last couple of years? However, I have seen good and bad. They all shootpretty well and cycle very smoothly, for the most part.
The thingsI have seen with rifles that have come in for repair are more of misuse and type of oil used. I'm going to say something and please take heed. If you have a lever action rifle(not just Henry's) DO NOT USE REM OIL ON THEM!!!!
That is the worst(IMO) you can use. It gums and varnishes up extremely bad!

Also as stated the aluminum cast framesare no steel receiver rifle and the finish and wear and tear shows immediately on these, Henry's. A Marlin and or Winchester will definately out last them, hands down. However, for a casual shooter for the most part they are a pretty good buy. Henry also has a very good service dept. from my experience working with them.
Hope that helps you decide, what is best for your needs?
Good Luck

Quick Reply: Henry rifle comments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.