HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Firearm Review Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum-33/)
-   -   TC ProHunter Thumbhole Vs. Pistol Grip (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/firearm-review-forum/280169-tc-prohunter-thumbhole-vs-pistol-grip.html)

raybird2112 12-27-2008 11:47 AM

TC ProHunter Thumbhole Vs. Pistol Grip

I'm thinking about buying a Thompson Center Pro Hunter with a rifled slug barrel. What should I buy, a thumb- hole stock or a pistol grip? 20 gauge or 12 gauge?

stalkingbear 12-27-2008 11:58 AM

RE: TC ProHunter Thumbhole Vs. Pistol Grip

Even though they offer great fit, I wouldn't have thumbhole stock on an rifle with manually operated hammer. It proves to be extremely inconvient until you get real familiar with it, and even then takes more time to cock/uncock hammer. I think you'll be happier with pistol grip stock but BE SURE and handle both if possible before you decide. As to 12 gauge or 20 gauge, get the 1 you prefer and choose the phyical properties of the gun itself instead of gauge, as modern slug loads make them pretty much equal in power & accuracy.

HEAD0001 12-28-2008 03:08 PM

I really like the thumbhole stock for the Encore's. IMO you have better control of the rifle with the thumbhole stock. I also shoot a thumbhole stock more accurately-especialy from hunting positions. The thumhole design also helps you control the recoil and muzzle flip by alowing your hand to absorb part of it. Tom.

Old/New 12-28-2008 04:22 PM

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

I really like the thumbhole stock for the Encore's. IMO you have better control of the rifle with the thumbhole stock. I also shoot a thumbhole stock more accurately-especialy from hunting positions. The thumhole design also helps you control the recoil and muzzle flip by alowing your hand to absorb part of it. Tom.

My PH is a pistol grip but my BILs is a thumbhole. I also have two buddies with TC Omega THs. I've shot these guns quite a bit and have come to like the THs.

Rock Fish 12-29-2008 12:44 PM

I have a Pro Hunter with the pistol grip stock and a Knight with a thumbhole. I feel due to the design of the TC pistol grip (which is extreme ) I think both give you a firm and secure grip, :)which is a benefit when an offhand shot presents itself.

longbeardbuster 12-30-2008 01:55 PM

I just went through the same decision a while back and went with the pistol grip, just felt better to me. As far as the slug barrel, go with the 12. I don't have one for my Prohunter yet but I have a Winchester 1300 pump 12 gaugeshotgun with a rifled barrel that just loves the Hornady SST sabot slugs.