Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Rifle Advice?

Old 01-08-2009, 11:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rifle Advice?

I agree with the 308 caliber, as for manufacturer, go to a gun shop with a good selection and shoulder a few.All have a different feel, even different models from the same name. Pick one that fits well and feels good. You'll be surprised how well you can shoot if you match the firearm to your body type and don't go overboard on caliber.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

270 leave u under-guned???? Wow...new information to me....Maybe on an Elephant...Not in North America...

150gr Nosler Partitionfired from a 270 will kill just about anything in this earth with ease...I dont see how a 30-06 can do the job any better really...more of a matter of opinion than a matter of fact...I own both and like my 270 much more than my 06 for some reason...

30 caliber rifles give u a larger selection of bullet choices is about the best advantage they have over the 270 or 7mm.

ANY of these guns skating around that 30 caliber marginwould have no problem with an deer, moose, elk if you can shoot it accuratly...
Old 01-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bear - brownies ?
Old 01-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Typical Buck

go with the tikka t3 ,you will like it. 270win would be my first choice.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

All the rifles you're looking at will perform admirably, & will last a lifetime with judicious care. Shoulder them all, & see which one picks you. Same thing with the scopes - look through them side-by-side, outside, at dusk,& see which one comes home with you.

Recently on another forum, somone asked a well-respected gun writer the following question:

John, several years ago you wrote an article for "Hunting Horizons" titled something like Hunting the West. You wrote about the widely varying types and sizes of game and locales where they are found, the appropriate chamberings and bullets for the various situations and so forth, but I remember it mostly because of how you ended it.

You concluded the article with this recommendation - get yourself a .30-06, a 4X scope (IIRC) and a case of 180 grain ammo. Fire all but one box of that ammo in practice and then go forth and hunt the West successfully.

Several years later - would you change that recommendation and if so, how?
His Reply:

No, I wouldn't change a thing. I can't remember if it was a 4x, myself, but might suggest a 6x now. Or I might not!

As a matter of fact, a few years ago somebody on this forum asked me if any of the non-dangerous animals I've killed anywhere (including Africa) couldn't have been taken with a .30-06 and 180-grain Nosler Partitions. After thinking about it, the answer was also no.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

To most North American game, the animals you'll likely be shooting couldn't tell the difference between the '06, .270 or the .308!
So I'd take the .308 in any of the guns you listed, and never look back! That said, if I were likely to run into something that would like to have me for dinner, I'd want to have something bigger than any of these three cartridges!
If you are looking for one gun to do it all from deer on up, I would not look at anything less than a .300 magnum! It's overkill on the smaller animals, but you'd be glad to have the extra poweron the dangerous game side of the coin!
When using the guidelines of "ONE gun" AND"ALL North American game animals,"I just would not bet my life on anything less than a .30 caliber magnum or a big bore cartridge!
Old 01-25-2009, 03:16 PM

remington 700 hundred 280 rem gives you the ability to shoot up to a 175gr bullet a great caliber for anything from antalope to elk if you use premium amunition.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

To most North American game, the aniamls you'll likely be shooting couldn't tell the difference between the '06, .270 or the .308!
So I'd take the .308 in any of the guns you listed, and never look back! That said, if I were likely to run into something that would like to have me for dinner, I'd want to have something bigger than any of these three cartridges!
If you are looking for one gun to do it all from deer on up, I would not look at anything less than a .300 magnum! It's overkill on the smaller animals, but you'd be glad to have the extra poweron the dangerous game side of the coin!
When using the guidelines of "ONE gun" AND"ALL North American game animals,"I just would not bet my life on anything less than a .30 caliber magnum or a big bore cartridge!

Im just not convinced the magnums offer any more power per say.
This data here shows different calibers, different bullets and the results, in expanded diameters and depth of penetration. the 30-06 holds it own with even a .338 and actually does better than the .300. with certain bullets. One of the 06 bullets show .8 diameter expansion, thats a big hole.
the 8mm magnum shows huge expansion and deep penetration
http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/methods.html
Old 01-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Im just not convinced the magnums offer any more power per say.
This data here shows different calibers, different bullets and the results, in expanded diameters and depth of penetration. the 30-06 holds it own with even a .338 and actually does better than the .300. with certain bullets. One of the 06 bullets show .8 diameter expansion, thats a big hole.
the 8mm magnum shows huge expansion and deep penetration
http://www.rathcoombe.net/sci-tech/ballistics/methods.html
Z, I understand what you are saying, but within the boundries of "one gun" and "ALL N.A. game" I don't think I could bet my life on anything less than a big bore or .30+ magnum for a big, angry bear! They can take a licking and keep on ticking!
I think the best bet would be at least two guns. Smaller caliber for most game and a big one for hunting big game, or hunting where big stuff lives! If a person is not going to be actually hunting dangerous game, I'd prefer a smaller caliber for hunting and at least a .44 sidearm for protection!
Either way you slice it, it's two guns or one BIG gun!
Old 02-02-2009, 04:17 AM
Typical Buck

Keep in mind, the lighter the rifle the harder it's going to kick. I like the design of the T3 Lite, but in 308 or 30.06 its not gonna be fun to bench shoot. I would go with a Winchester, Savage, Marlin, Remington in 30.06 or 7mm-08 depending on what you hunt. If you are strictly deer hunting there isn't anything better than the 7mm-08 IMO. If you plan to hunt something bigger than deer just get the 06 and be done.

Quick Reply: Rifle Advice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.