Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

ruger m77 hawkeye

Old 12-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default ruger m77 hawkeye

any opinions out there how does the ruger compete against remington 700.s and winchester model 70.s
Old 12-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ruger m77 hawkeye

The ruger m77mk2 is equal in remingtons in every way EXCEPT triggers and (sometimes) accuracy. There's features of rugers that I like over the others such as the angled front action screw,bolt handle design,stock design,and others. They represent a good value for centerfire rifles. The main reason I don't like them is when they went to mk2 and did away with the convienient tang safety. Now my favorite centerfire is browning a-bolt/x-bolt,with the marlin xL7 fast becoming the rifle for loaners,backup,or other uses. The browning has not only the tang safety that I like,3 lug smooth bolt,removable magizine,but many other features that in MY opinion,make them vastly superior.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

I will never say anything bad about a Ruger but the accuracy is not the best. But there new trigger on the Hawkeye is great a lot better than the old trigger.
As for Remington 700 and this goes for any Remington I do not like them. To me there quality is not very good.
As for the new Winchester model 70 like it so much I am looking in to getting me one or maybe a Browning Xbolt.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a ruger mark II and I think it is equal to any Remington, Savage, Marlin, etc. It shot 1 1/2 out of the box but after a quick trigger job it was like a new gun. Floated the barrel and now it shoots under 3/4''.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was in a shop the other day looking for a new gun.Among those I looked at were the Ruger Hawkeye SS/bl stock,Rem 700 bl/bl stock and the Tikka light bl/bl stock.The Ruger just seemed more substantial with better overall design and attention to detail than the others.For the same reasons I liked the Rem a little more than the Tikka.All three are known for good out of the box acuracy but a lemon gets through now and then.I'm leaning towards the Ruger in either .270 or .280.The one I looked at was a .280.I'd have to order the .270.Either's a great choice with little difference performance wise between them but ammo for the .280 is 10 bucks more per box.I havent seen the new Wins but I did read a review of the Featherweight in 30/06 in American Hunter.The acuracy was disapointing with most groups over 2"@100yds.Though not specific I got the impresion the wood/or fit wasn't all that hot either.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:09 AM

I do not know much about the Winchester M70's other than they were used by our snipers in Nam along with the Remington 700 if that tells you anything? Are they making them again? I thought Winchester stopped making them a couple of years ago?

In any case, I would opt for the Ruger Hawkeye over the Remington SPS just because the overall finish and feel of therifle is better. I think that you get better quality from the Ruger also and I also think that accuracy between the two is near the same anyhow. It took me about 200 rounds through the barrel to break it in and get it shooting accurate groups. I heard there is supposed to be a certain method of doing this properly but I must have lucked out? I will say this, the Ruger stainless will NOT rust and itALWAYS functions though the chamber is finicky about the premium rounds.

Good luck
Old 12-07-2008, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

DA They are back in production.I forget the name of the company that's taken over production but they're made here in the USA somewhere in the south east.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

As matter of fact,they are made at FN plant in north carolina(THINK it's north carolina). They have excellent reputation for quality.

ORIGINAL: Bernie P.
DA They are back in production.I forget the name of the company that's taken over production but they're made here in the USA somewhere in the south east.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:01 PM

Thanks Bernie P and stalkingbear, that is good news for the many M70 fans. I am going to have to seriously consider it for my next rifle when it comes along.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:34 PM

the new model 70 is being produced by fnh out of their plant in south carolina. many guns have already been shipped to dealers, mostly featherweights in either 270 win or 30-06. they have ceased shipping recently and will ramp up again immediately after the christmas holidays (or so i was told). for the fellow making the decision, get to a shop that has all three rifles you are interested in. look them over, shoulder each one, get the feel of the gun. then decide which you prefer. they will all kills stuff if you do your part. i either have or have owned all three rifles you asked about. if i were making the decision, i'd get a ruger.

Quick Reply: ruger m77 hawkeye

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.