Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package >

I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package

Old 11-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package

You would be better off throwing your ammo at the game your hunting before buying one of these.... LOL
Old 11-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Typical Buck

i agree with the others. There are better rifles for the same price.. SAVAGE, Mossberg, or Marlin. The 770 shouldn't even be made by remington IMO.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

You need to listen to these guys and stay away from remington 710/770. The barrel is simply pinned in like an inexpensive .22 and the bolt actually rides in a plastic sleeve-not to mention recalls on bolt binding BAD,safety,firing pin,and part of bolt breaking off.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

The 710 and 770 are the epic fails of remington. I don't even know why they make these rifles. Go get a used 700 or maybe a savage or mossberg. You will be happy with those, while the other two rifles will work, they will leave you wanting more.
-Jake
Old 11-19-2008, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

I bought a 710 - the predecessor to the 770 - about 5 years ago and it's been a good rifle. Good accuracy. Bolt is not as smooth as more expensive rifles, but it's never been a problem. I believe the barrel is actually press-fitted into the receiver and not pinned, but either way it really doesn't matter. The only reason anybody has ever provided for not liking that feature is that "you can't change the barrel". Who buys an entry-level rifle knowing they would shoot it that much anyway?

Also, the 770 does NOT have a plastic sleeve that the bolt rides on. My 710 does have one and it's just one less thing to rust as far as I'm concerned. The plastic sleeve was discontinued during the last couple of years of the 710 production. I did look over a 770 in a shop a year or so ago and the bolt was much improved over my 710, but not as slick as my 1903 Springfield made in 1931 (which is my only other bolt rifle other than a .22).

The only safety recall was for some 710s that were made from July to October 2002. That is the only recall on the 710/770 and was only related to a safety spring.

For all the admonitions to buy a used rifle, remember you may be buying someone else's problem unless you know what you're looking for. That's one of the reasons I bought my 710. I didn't want to spend $500+ on a rifle I wouldn't use all that much and I didn't know what to look for in a used rifle. The 710 was my first rifle and I went with Remington because of the name and because I liked the rounded stock of the 710 over the squared-off version of the Savage 110/111 at the time.

My 710 hasn't left me "wanting more" nor will anybody here be able to tell you the difference between a real hunting applications and "non-real" one that the 710 wouldn't be able to handle.

I've encountered nothing in actually using my 710 that would make me not consider buying a 770 if I needed another budget rifle. I might get something else, but then again I might just get another Remington.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have only handled a few 710s and 770s,and the actions are very rough.I would never consider buying one of these rifles.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just give it time xd9x,give it time. On the recalls,if that was ONLY 1,how come I have recall letters right on my desk in the shop from remington? I've already seen a BUNCH of them that's defective-you've only had experience with 1 and you're trying to influience someone to buy 1 based on THAT???????
Old 11-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

Just give it time xd9x,give it time. On the recalls,if that was ONLY 1,how come I have recall letters right on my desk in the shop from remington? I've already seen a BUNCH of them that's defective-
Give what time? There is only the one recall (for only a few months of production) listed on the Remington web site and I can find no others by using a quick Google search. I have received no recall information and I bought my 710 almost 4 or 5 years ago. Maybe you've encountered more issues with the 710 than other rifles....that may only mean there's a lot more of them out there. I was told by a salesman at one point that they sold probably five 710s for every Savage 110 for probably no other reason than the Remington name, so even with a relatively equal rate of problems, you're going to necessarily end up with more 710s in the shop due to the numbers being sold.

The problems encountered by ONE person working on them are no more of an indication of reliability than ONE owner telling of his experience.

...you've only had experience with 1 and you're trying to influience someone to buy 1 based on THAT???????
I simply state my experience with the product. I have had no problems with it and have no reason to tell someone it's a piece of junk. Unlike just about everybody else who has posted on this thread, I have actually used the rifle in the field, shot 100+ rounds through it over several years, and my son just bagged a rather modest 4-point buck yesterday morning. It hasn't failed to do anything a rifle costing hundreds of dollars more would do. It is what it is - an inexpensive, entry-level rifle that performs as designed. You don't pay for a super slick action, fancy wood and a bunch of bells and whistles that add nothing to the overall functionality of the rifle. It works and that's all it needs to do.

Most of the opinions on the 710/770 are nothing more than opinions based on someone's brief handling of the firearm or the fact that it "feels" cheap or is "ugly", both of which have absolutely nothing to do with how the rifle actually performs. These are probably the same kind of folks who made fun of Glocks back in the 80s as "tupperware" or who thought synthetic stocks weren't put on "real" guns.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

You need to listen to these guys and stay away from remington 710/770. The barrel is simply pinned in like an inexpensive .22 and the bolt actually rides in a plastic sleeve-not to mention recalls on bolt binding BAD,safety,firing pin,and part of bolt breaking off.
I believe the barrel is actually press-fitted into the receiver and not pinned, but either way it really doesn't matter.
I don't know about anybody else, but when I'm shooting a rifle that can generate chamber pressures in the 55-65 Kpsi range, I want that barrel secured by a little more than a pin or a press fit. As far as who to trust about the issues with the 710/770, I'd trust stalkingbears word since he is a GUNSMITH who works on these rifles regularly, which is why he gets recall notices when most others don't. But lets not say that the 710/770 are all bad, because they are unsurpassed at propping doors open when necessary, and they are somewhat cheaper than a really nice set of oars!

On a side note, anyone else notice how Remington changes the model number of this POS every few years? Probably to keep the sales going after word finally gets around about how much of a hunk-of-junk it is.[:@] I wonder how many people buy the 770 because it's not called the 710 anymore? Hmmm...

Mike

Old 11-23-2008, 10:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe you've encountered more issues with the 710 than other rifles....that may only mean there's a lot more of them out there. I was told by a salesman at one point that they sold probably five 710s for every Savage 110 for probably no other reason than the Remington name, so even with a relatively equal rate of problems, you're going to necessarily end up with more 710s in the shop due to the numbers being sold.
There are a great many more model 700s ,model 70s,A-bolts,and Savage bolt action rifles being used than 710/770 rifles,yet I have never heard so many bad reports about any of those rifles.There seems to be 3 or 4 bad reports for every good report about the 710/770.I have used all of those models,and all were much better made with much smoother actions,and none of them had pressed in barrels.

Quick Reply: I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.