HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package
Old 11-23-2008, 10:17 PM
driftrider
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

You need to listen to these guys and stay away from remington 710/770. The barrel is simply pinned in like an inexpensive .22 and the bolt actually rides in a plastic sleeve-not to mention recalls on bolt binding BAD,safety,firing pin,and part of bolt breaking off.
I believe the barrel is actually press-fitted into the receiver and not pinned, but either way it really doesn't matter.
I don't know about anybody else, but when I'm shooting a rifle that can generate chamber pressures in the 55-65 Kpsi range, I want that barrel secured by a little more than a pin or a press fit. As far as who to trust about the issues with the 710/770, I'd trust stalkingbears word since he is a GUNSMITH who works on these rifles regularly, which is why he gets recall notices when most others don't. But lets not say that the 710/770 are all bad, because they are unsurpassed at propping doors open when necessary, and they are somewhat cheaper than a really nice set of oars!

On a side note, anyone else notice how Remington changes the model number of this POS every few years? Probably to keep the sales going after word finally gets around about how much of a hunk-of-junk it is.[:@] I wonder how many people buy the 770 because it's not called the 710 anymore? Hmmm...

Mike