Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package >

I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package

Old 11-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Spike

quite possibly one of the worst firearms ever made.remington is goin down the toilet
Old 11-15-2010, 05:40 AM
Fork Horn

This thread sure got the opinions going! I don't have near the hunting experience of many of you, but my rifles are my main interest and lifelong hobby and I have gained a fair amount of knowledge. I've been a lifelong Remington fan, make no bones about it and have nothing but the highest regard for the 700 line, mine are well made, solid, look, in my humble opinion, like a hunting rifle should look and are accurate and totally dependable. Out at the local range, sighting in my BDL in 06, I watched a young man and his cousin struggle with a gun to get it to shoot. They had a hard time cycling the action along with couldn't tell where it was hitting. This was my first encounter with the 770, I had never even seen one before and was surprised to see the Remington name on it. They asked if I could help them figure out what the problem was. The bolt was stiff, gritty and seemed a sloppy fit, lock-up felt uncertain at best, small tinny lever that required a full half turn for the bolt release didn't work well. Got the bolt out and we managed to get it stable enough to attempt to bore sight. Adjusted the scope and took three shots--way off, rebore sighted, crosshairs were way off again--tried again, still way off---this was a .243 and the recoil jarred the scope out of whack each time--no way this rig could be sighted in properly--the gun was butt ugly, barrel heavy, and no where near dependable and they had been told by the counter guy at wall mart it was all set up and ready for the hunt. I'm not going to say that others haven't had good luck with their 770's, 710's and Savage package deals, but this was a pretty poor example of what $300 to $400 buys. I'll also be the first to admit and realize that many are not in a position financially to buy a better rifle, but many used rifles are so much better and most of them are not " another persons problem", but more likely a trade in on something different or as in my experience, a gun having to be sold due to the original owners financial problems. Two of the best guns I own were bought used and I'll keep them forever because they are well made accurate rifles and the used gun price was was unbelievably low, [ model 700 stainless laminated .300 Win mag for $600], [ a Browning A-bolt in 06 for just under $600 with a decent Bushnell already on it] both in perfect condition, both completely accurate. I've seen dozens of very good used rifles for sale in the $300 range and up, Savages, Winchesters, Remingtons--might be something to look into--worked out real well for me-------John
Old 12-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

What a scream to re-read this little discussion from 2 years ago. Quite entertaining.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:28 PM
Spike

The 710/770 that XD and Big Earl are talking about is a descent rifle for the price. Alot of people dont like them because of how they look. I have several guns and rifles, and the 710 30-06 is one of them. I have had it since 2001 and has shot perfect everytime. I bought it used off an Army buddy for 150. not cuz he didnt like it but because "I had his back."

The 710 is one of those rifles that if it falls, who cares. Now I hunt rough terrain and I dont mind taking ugly guns out there that do the job. If I walked into that camp that said get out of here with that rifle, I would say "I'll shoot you for the camp, Loser walks!" Its an accurate gun. Now, I dont hunt out of a blind like some of you people here, maybe thats why you like the expensive stuff, cuz u know it wont get messed up, But I walk the land here in Texas. My place has alot of rocks, canyons, etc. The majority of our shots are made from 150-400 yards away into the canyons and while they are running. We walk up to them and rarely have a chance of situating ourselves to get a sitting or resting shot.

We hunt Aoudads, white tail, and mouflon. Every time we shoot at a group, we waste anywhere from 5-20 shells. Depending on how big the Aoudad is. Not because we suck at shooting but because they are running and are about 250yds away. =) haha, but anyways. the 710 has held up to the "Canyon" test and I see no problem with it if your shooting out of a blind. In all Honesty the Only Real BIG thing it sux on is that its freaking Ugly!! But We use it and have killed Numerous of animals with it. Descent gun for the price. I dont hate on them at all. A 710/770 will kill you just as fast as a remington 700CDL. Just saying.

As to the guy that said he has woods 24/7 all around him and needs a reliable gun with him at all times for protection. I assume he's in Alaska or Canada because he used the term "Lower 48" and is probably referring to bears he needs to protect himself from, What are you doing with a Bolt Action Anyway?? My personal rifle I use at my ranch is a .270 remington pump action model 7600. (Please nobody say that it is a POS rifle cuz I have my longest kill with it, 720yds, and will argue this rifle to the bone). If I were to go up there and hunt a bear, I would not use a bolt action. I would take my .270 pump action. And dont start with that the .270 isnt big enough to kill a bear because if the Indians could kill buffalo with a home made bow and arrow, I think a .270 will do some damage. If all else fails, I can "Pump" 5 shots into him and reload with my next magazine before he new what hit him.

Im getting off topic here. Sorry

TO the OP:
The 710/770 is a good "budget" rifle, regardless of what people say here. You get a scope and a rifle for a great price. Like stated before, most people have different uses for it. Some people want it for there kids later in life others just to go out a couple times a year. The fact of the matter is, who cares how ugly it looks. It still shoots good. If u can find a prettier rifle for the same price buy it too.

Pros: Shoots consistant; great name behind it; because of the weight there isnt a big kick; and you can throw it around and not worry about it looking uglier; thick barrell(which lasts); reliable; affordable

Cons: Ugly(to some people); heavy; Bolt isnt smooth
Old 02-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

To the OP;

I thought you were - Savage4life ???
Old 02-25-2011, 05:24 AM
Fork Horn

Interesting, fastvet, that you consider the 710/770 to be heavy. ?? I've never thought of my 710 as being heavy. I always thought it was a little on the light side and weighed in around the average weight for rifles non specifically designed to be lighter than normal, but I haven't checked the stats. Of course, I've got an M1 Garand and 1903 Springfield sitting next to it, so I suppose it's a relative thing.

On a side note, I have always been amused when someone classifies a gun as "ugly", no matter what variety of firearm is being targeted with that label. One one hand, when the gun crowd gets riled up in a gun control debate, they'll talk about a gun as "only a tool", but then in a discussion amongst themselves they'll blast one of those tools for being "ugly", as if the appearance of the tool had any relevance to how it functions.

It'd be like standing around in Lowe's or Home Depot listening to a group of dudes tell some newbie why the $40 hammer is so much better than the $10 one...it's prettier, shinier, made of stainless and not wood, etc. One could do a great parody show on the inhabitants of the gun world....these message boards would provide and endless array of material.

P.S. Right now, it's a good thing that I bought a 710 and not some more expensive package, because the guy on whose land I used to hunt for free and only 45 minutes from my house died two years ago and his sons decided they would form a hunting club and an invitation was not extended to me.

And as I do not care to spend $1500+ a year to pay to hunt on someone else's land elsewhere, I may just end up "retiring" from hunting after just 5 or 6 years. If I had spent more money on a rifle than on my 710, it would be wasted money. My 710 is just a "safe queen" now, but at least it's not a "pretty" 700 with a $300 scope sitting there collecting dust.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:06 AM
Spike

Im lost here bud (XD). Dont know whether your coming or going. The 710 that I have is a 30-06 caliber and is a little heavier than most rifles I have. Ofcourse, Naturally it would be lighter than your M1. Maybe thats why u dont think its heavy.

Now as far as it being ugly, Yes it is an opinion, but Im comparing it to other guns that I have. Is it the ugliest thing on the market? No. Some of them Middle eastern guns look retarded in my book. But is it the ugliest thing that Remington has on the Market? Yes. Find anther gun that Remington has that looks "Ugly." I dont think there is. Again, just my opinion. Again, Im also not taking anything away from this gun. It shoots great and as I stated before, I would not kick that gun out of bed. For the price, the combo is great.

Regardless of what people post here, the gun is good. You have a good gun. I own that gun. Will I trade it? Maybe. Its not on my to do list, but if a good deal comes around i would do it. Would I trade it for a Savage? Nah. Its like trading a dollar for a dollar. Would I trade it for a Winchester Model 53 or 670(which was the affordable version of the model 70, the wood just wasnt walnut)? In a heart beat. Bottom line, good gun.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

Mine is a .30-06 also. I guess it doesn't seem that heavy to me because the only other rifles I have are the M1 and 1903 (other than a .22).

Of course, weight isn't (or wasn't) much of a consideration for me. Where I used to hunt, I would park my vehicle and walk a couple hundred yards to my tree stand, so I didn't have to carry the thing around for long periods.

However, after a quick google search, I do see the 770 is listed as weighing in at 8.5 lbs. Wikipedia lists the 710 at 7.125 (w/o scope?) and a gun mag article at 7.3. the 710 comes in more than a pound less than the 770, so maybe that's the difference in our perceptions.

P.S. Geez, I wish the U.S. would adopt the metric system. English measurements are such a pain.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:47 AM
Spike

Remington 770 .308 review: http://play.kendincos.com/182562/Wpt...08-review.html
Old 05-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

That 770 review was about as worthless as the 770 is itself, LOL!!!

Quick Reply: I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.