Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package >

I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package

Old 11-24-2008, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package

ORIGINAL: driftrider

I don't know about anybody else, but when I'm shooting a rifle that can generate chamber pressures in the 55-65 Kpsi range, I want that barrel secured by a little more than a pin or a press fit.
Anybody know how much chamber pressure a .50 BMG generates???? The barrel for the Barrett Model 99 is pressed fitted. From the Barrett web site: The match-toleranced barrel is hydraulically pressed and locked into the extrusion...

Press fitting may not be the preferred or most popular way to attach a barrel, but it apparently isn't the only way. If a pressed barrel is good enough for a Barrett .50 cal rifle, it's good enough for my .30-06.

I'd trust stalkingbears word since he is a GUNSMITH who works on these rifles regularly, which is why he gets recall notices when most others don't.
Mechanics get Technical Service Bulletins all the time on vehicles -- notifications of potential issues and how to resolve them, but not serious enough to warrant a recall. If these were actually safety issues, Remington would have too much liability exposure to NOT issue a general recall for any problems with the 710 that might result in danger to the user. The firing pins may actually break more often than with a 700, but a 700 costs hundreds of dollars more and should be more reliable up to a point.

On a side note, anyone else notice how Remington changes the model number of this POS every few years?
Really? I believe the 710 was a new product when it was introduced in 2001. Other than the change from the 710 to the 770 after 6 or 7 years of production, what other changes to the model number have occurred? One change in 8 years?

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

There are a great many more model 700s ,model 70s,A-bolts,and Savage bolt action rifles.....

I have used all of those models,and all were much better made with much smoother actions,and none of them had pressed in barrels.
That should be expected for rifles costing several hundred dollars more - some almost twice the price of a 710/770 and without a scope. The question then becomes: does one get enough use out of the rifle to justify paying twice as much than a 710/770?

I've got a couple of neighbors with a Browning A-bolt and a Remington 700 stainless. I only hunt 10 or 12 times during the deer season and they probably haven't hunted that much in 3 or 4 years. Their rifles are much nicer than mine, but they sit around and collect a lot of dust -- and would make just as good a doorstop for all the use they get. Would I like to have an A-bolt or a 700 stainless? Sure, but given the amount of time I get to hunt, there's no justification I can come up with for spending the extra money.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anybody know how much chamber pressure a .50 BMG generates???? The barrel for the Barrett Model 99 is pressed fitted. From the Barrett web site: The match-toleranced barrel is hydraulically pressed and locked into the extrusion...

Press fitting may not be the preferred or most popular way to attach a barrel, but it apparently isn't the only way. If a pressed barrel is good enough for a Barrett .50 cal rifle, it's good enough for my .30-06.
54 Kpsi by CIP standards. There is no SAAMI standard MAP for .50BMG (yet), but it would likely be within +/- 5 Kpsi from the CIP standard. The SAAMI MAP for .30-06 is 60 Kpsi. Regarding the Barrett vs. the 710, there isn't even a comparison in quality and manufacturing standards between the two. Night and day.

But hey, if you like your rifle so much, great. But the fact is that it's a mediocre disposable rifle, and anyone looking to buy their first rifle would be well advised to disregard it as a viable choice as there are at least a half dozen rifles out there that are in the same price range that are FAR better than the 710 or the "new and improved" 770. You can't polish a turd, which is exactly what Rem tried to do with the 770.

Mike

Old 11-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

Regarding the Barrett vs. the 710, there isn't even a comparison in quality and manufacturing standards between the two. Night and day.
I wasn't attempting to compare quality, only to address the issue that having a pressed barrel is not necessarily an indication of low quality. The Barrett is a high quality firearm with a pressed barrel, so slamming the 710 for having one is inconsistent.

But hey, if you like your rifle so much, great. But the fact is that it's a mediocre disposable rifle, and anyone looking to buy their first rifle would be well advised to disregard it as a viable choice as there are at least a half dozen rifles out there that are in the same price range that are FAR better than the 710 or the "new and improved" 770. You can't polish a turd, which is exactly what Rem tried to do with the 770.

Mike
No, your opinion is that it's a "mediocre disposable rifle". I don't know about all the different options you refer, but my choice basically came down to a 710 or a Savage 110 package. There may be a half dozen options available on the low end of the market, but finding all those options in one place or even in two or three places may not be possible or practical. My budget at the time was in the $300-400 range and there were not many options in that price range that were readily available at Walmart and/or Bass Pro.

Being rather new in the gun world at the time, I viewed gun shops as the equivalent of auto dealers - they'd try to sell you more than you wanted or needed because it was in their interest to do so, so I determined to do my own research, decide what features I wanted and get it either at Walmart or Bass Pro. At the time the Savage package didn't have a removable magazine and I wanted that feature, so the 710 won out over the Savage rifle.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

So xd9x19 how many rifles do you have now to compare it to?
Old 11-24-2008, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

The only other bolt rifle I have is a 1903 Springfield made in 1931 with a pristine Sept. 1944 High Standard barrel. If I could reasonably put a scope on it without permanently altering the rifle, I might do so and use it for my main deer rifle. The action on it is smooth as silk and I doubt there is a significantly better-working action on a modern rifle.

I don't have any other bolt guns because I don't need another. I can only use one at a time and the 710 has suited my needs so far, so I've found no need to consider "upgrading" or buying another rifle.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

The only other bolt rifle I have is a 1903 Springfield made in 1931
Then your firearms experience is far too limited to see the differences in bolt action rifles.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

EXACTLY what I siad in different words. To xd9x19-When you get the experience of not only hunting with and using,but also knowing them from inside out from working on/building them by the hundreds and over 27 years worth-come back and then MAYBE you can hold an intelligent discussion with me about rifles.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

Then your firearms experience is far too limited to see the differences in bolt action rifles.
I never claimed to be an expert and the differences in rifles is not the issue. The original post was: "Would this be a good gun to buy? There is a 30-06 remington 770 rifle combo with a burris scope. Any advice, comments, sugguestions?" All firearms have differences whether they are rifles or not. It then becomes a question of whether or not those differences are worth the extra $$$ or if they are differences that you want in a rifle.

I obliged the original poster with my experience because I thought actual experience with the rifle would be a lot more useful than comments like "you can't polish a turd" or some unexplained comment about a pressed barrel. Given the number of posts on this thread, very few of them are useful, but that's true for most opinions asked for on the internet. You've got to weed out which ones you find useful and those that you don't. Been there. Done that.

My 710 is accurate - I can get a 1-1.5" group with it using 150gr Federal Sierra Game King BTSP ammo-, functional and does what it was designed to do those 8-12 times a year I get to hunt. The deer are just as dead as anybody else's here that has a high dollar rifle with an equally expensive scope.

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

EXACTLY what I siad in different words. To xd9x19-When you get the experience of not only hunting with and using,but also knowing them from inside out from working on/building them by the hundreds and over 27 years worth-come back and then MAYBE you can hold an intelligent discussion with me about rifles.
What intelligent discussion? You criticized the 710 for having a 'pinned' barrel when Remington states it is a pressed barrel (which may be pinned in place?). A high-quality firearm like the Barrett uses the same process, so just having a pressed barrel can't be an indication of low quality. No reasoning was offered for why a pressed barrel should be avoided. The only reason anyone ever stated in another discussion on the pressed barrel issue was that you couldn't change the barrel. I would guess that only a very small percentage of people ever "shoot out a barrel" on their deer rifle, so it's a non-issue for anyone but the most avid shooter.

You mentioned the plastic insert in the receiver in which the bolt travels. Unless I missed something, the 770 does not have this nor did the 710 in the last year or two before Remington changed the model number. But even so, what does it matter whether the plastic insert is there or not? You provide no rational for why it is a feature that you think should be avoided.

Intelligent discussion requires a rational or proof to back up statements regardless of whether you've been working on guns 27 years or not. I see no problems with a pressed barrel, but am open to why anyone would think it is a problem. Likewise for the plastic receiver inserts in the older 710s. Other than possibly making the action a little less smooth, I see no reason to find it so highly objectionable.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

The original post was: "Would this be a good gun to buy?
And the point being conveyed is that there are far better choices for similar costs,the stevens 200 being one of those choices,with savage being another.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:45 AM
Spike

The only recall I ever knew of was some sort of spring that I believe could have made the saftey fail. The only other issues I ever "heard" of were that the action was rough if you push up or sideways ( I like to pull back and push straight in personally, but that's just me) and the magazine latch on the 710 was said to be weak. I think most problems with the 710/770 were from people who shoot for pure sport and are at the range all the time. This to me is a budget hunting rifle and as far as a hunting rifle that is gonna get shot a few times a year and put back in the cabinet for the other 50 weeks, I believe they are just fine and will last a long time. I had a 710 that I used for 2 years, shot about 40 rounds out of it and had zero problems. I bought it because it was inexpensive yet it was a "Remington" , I sold it because it was ugly. Same as the Stevens with that hideous gray stock. The 770 has a nice looking stock, and as far as the action goes I never had a problem with my 710and didn't even know it was an issue, again though I didn't push up or sideways on mine, maybe I'm just old fashoned. There was no plastic in my 05' 710 bolt or action so once again you can see how "people with knowledge" will mis lead you based on popular opinion. If I was biased toward Remington and I felt as bad about the 770 as some of you, I would never buy a remington period. It would be like being biased towards FORD and lets say the Focus had body parts falling off as it went down the road and FORD people said it was ok because it was a budget vehicle. No thanks, if the quality control at Remingtonlet a gun out the door as bad as some of you all say, than no thanks to Remington for me.

New-vs-Used. Someone said it best when they posted about buying someone elses junk. I agree 100%, you never know what your buying. For me I would buy a new 770 for $350 with a "junk" scope any day over someone else's headaches. I personally feel like to some people that any budget gun is junk because they would be ashamed to only spend $350 on it and wouldn't be able to brag at deer camp. Oh BTW, my 710 shot great. Hope this helps, it's just my opinion, I am not an expert, just a guy who owned one.

Quick Reply: I'm thinking about buying the Remington 770 package

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.