Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Innerbond, CorLoct, SST, Remington, Hornady: differnce is? >

Innerbond, CorLoct, SST, Remington, Hornady: differnce is?

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Innerbond, CorLoct, SST, Remington, Hornady: differnce is?

Old 09-26-2008, 02:00 AM

Default Innerbond, CorLoct, SST, Remington, Hornady: differnce is?

Picking up new rifle this weekend and have had some great advice posted in regards to ammo (thanks guys) My research has led me to have questions about the Remington CorLoct vs. the AccuTip. Accutip is a boattail bullet while the SST (Hornady) is said to be a great round. I know it will come down to trying a few out (part of the fun!) However I dont want to overthink this so my question is :Boattail type bullet, or Hornady or Reminton AccuTip or SST type for hunting pigs, deer and the occassional elk hunt. Thoughs?
Mark
Old 09-26-2008, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Innerbond, CorLoct, SST, Remington, Hornady: differnce is?

The accutip is a Hornady SST wearing a gold polymer tip instead of red. For deer don't waste your money on Interbonds any standard construction bullet will work just fine.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:32 PM

I would just go with the regular old soft point in any brand that your rifle likes but you better get going to the range now. Don't wait until a few days before the hunt to try them out. Accutips are atractive but very expensive. Hornady SST's are a decent round for a decent price but like thunderchicken said, save some money and get yourself some regular old soft points, they don't even have to be boat tails.

Remington Cor Locts, Winchester power point, Federal Powershock(blue box), Wolf soft points, or Hornady boat tail soft points should do the job.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

what caliber of gun are you getting? corelokts are a litte harder then interlocks I think. Everyone I know who have used the interlocks have been happy. I have killed several deer with remington corelokts. If you practice and can put a bullet into the heart or lungs of a deer bullet of any kind will kill.
chris
Old 09-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

JMO but none of the bullets you mentioned I'd use for elk, so if your wanting to find only one load from pigs up to elk then personally i'd be looking at the likes of Nosler Partitions, Nosler Accubond, Hornady interbond, Barnes TSX, etc. You did say occasional in terms of elk so if not needing a premium bullet for this year just pick the one you like best and hopefully your rifle agrees. Repeat the process until you find the bestload.

Another JMO but I think the Hornady Interlock within its designis slightly more robust then the corelokt. I have found the interlock pretty easy to get shooting in a host of rifles and I would use it on an elk hunt in a pinch though still prefer the other "premiums" I mention above.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd concur with everyone. For deer just about any bullet should work well enough if you get it in the right place. If you want to hunt bear or elk or larger, you might be better off with a premium bullet (pick any of the ones Skeeter mentioned and you'll be set).

As with any new bullet/load combo for your gun, find the one that shoots best and go with it. I used to use Nosler Partitions until the Nosler Accubond came out and use them now for everything (nice not having different loads for deer vs. elk).
Old 09-30-2008, 09:39 PM

Ok, Ok, I agree for the most part. Just start out with the soft points on deer and black bearfor now. When you are ready for Elk or Brownies use the premium rounds that work best. My personal opinion however, is that the SST is good enough to replace the premium rounds so you do not have to spend a fortune.

In summary, don't get caught up in all of the marketing hype and use regular old soft points for deer and SST's for Elk and I guess all bear but I think that soft points are good enough for the blackies although others will disagree I am sure.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Typical Buck

Corlokt...the deadliest mushroom in the woods
Old 10-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

CoreLokts are the most reasonable...and very dependable. I've used everything "skeeter" mentioned except for the Barnes TSX's, and I've heard nothing but great things about them. The Interbonds and SST's may be a bit overkill for whitetails, but you'll be dead on if you sight-in and stick with those for all of the animals you listed, rather than jumping rounds and dialling in yoursetup each timeto fit your ammo. As mentioned, you probably would be just fine throwing CoreLokts at everything you mentioned and save yourself some dough....but what the hell fun is there in that?

I use Hornady Interbonds (165 gr.) out of my .30-06 and Federal Accubonds (140 gr.) out of the 7-08. Those pattern the best for me.

Good luck.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

I have used both the interlock and corelokt bullets they both expand well and hold together well. Of the two that have in my experance that has the best integraty to hold together in tough conditions is the corelokt hands down. Its heavy shank that makes up the corelokt is heavier than the interlock. This just for recovered bullet from sand (my back stop) the interlocks can and do roll down past the interlocking ring, and I have not yet seen any corelokt go past its cannelure. even bone will most likely never do what sand does to a bullet but it does point out which bullet is tougher. I use both remingtons and Hornadys and they both work great on game when the right weight bullet is matched to the game hunted.

Quick Reply: Innerbond, CorLoct, SST, Remington, Hornady: differnce is?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.