Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

7mm Rem. Mag Bullets

Old 08-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Spike

Default 7mm Rem. Mag Bullets

What is the best factory load & size bullet to use on whitetail deer in 7mm rem. mag that will knock em' down with destroying as little meat as possible?
Old 08-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 7mm Rem. Mag Bullets

A few choices depending on your spending limits. I like 140 grain bullets for white-tail out of my 7 mag. I got 2 deer this past season with my 7. I handload, but i was using regular Sierra Game King bullets in my load. 63 grains of RE 22. These are 150's but the same basic bullet design. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=779448

They worked well. Both one shot, drop kills with minimal damage to meat. Good Luck!

This season,I will be trying out a Barnes Tripple Shock loadI developed that my rifle shoots beautifully!
(140 gr w/ 67.3 gr RE22)
Old 08-09-2008, 06:00 PM

You want to get a round designed for deer. Some of the ammo for the 7mm is for large game such as elk and will not perform properly on deer sized game. I would look at a round loaded with a premium bullet such as AccuBond, TSX, AccuTip or Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded to name a few. Stick with a good bullet that is designed for the game you are hunting.

A friend of mine shoots nothing but 162 Grain BTSP Hornady Ammo. While another swears by the Federal Fusion ammo.

I would use the 140 gr. Winchester Supreme AccuBond CT factory load.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:50 AM
Fork Horn

Been using the 140 grain Nosler Partition for 25 years, no deer ever escaped and few took more than a step or two..never had a bullet failure from 25 yards to 350 yards.... nuff said !!
Old 08-10-2008, 06:18 AM
Typical Buck

Remington has a 150 grain Scirroco that is very flat shooting and bucks the wind well. This would actually be a good all around load for deer and elk. You can compare the ballistics on their website.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

Any 120-175gr bullet works fine for deer, but a TTSX, TSX, Partition, TBBC, Grandslam, Interbond, Accubond or A-Frame will hold together and provide less meat damage if thats what your after.

Brett
Old 08-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Mountaineer93

You want to get a round designed for deer. Some of the ammo for the 7mm is for large game such as elk and will not perform properly on deer sized game. I would look at a round loaded with a premium bullet such as AccuBond, TSX, AccuTip or Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded to name a few. Stick with a good bullet that is designed for the game you are hunting.

A friend of mine shoots nothing but 162 Grain BTSP Hornady Ammo. While another swears by the Federal Fusion ammo.

I would use the 140 gr. Winchester Supreme AccuBond CT factory load.
X2!
Using a heavy Elk bullet in a 7MM RM is asking for trouble! If you go with a lung shot to save meat, it can blow right through with no expansion, dead deer, but hard to track! I've done it twice, the 1st. one only ran about 15 yards, but did not bleed. The 2nd. one went about 100 yards through some thick stuff, no bloodand I was very lucky to find him! I'd recomend a 140 gr. also.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used the Nosler Partition in abut every thing I have ever hand loaded for from 243 Win. to 338 Win. Mag. I have hunted with hand loads using this bullet I'd say 75% of the time ... since 1964 +/-.

I am a "just behind shoulder shooter" if the broadside angle presents it self. But the angle is seldom perfect, so I want the assured penetration that the Partition gives me. On white tail deer, the pass-through has been the case an overwhelming percentage of the time. As far as blood trailing, seldom been a problem. When it has, I have always had a good blood trailing Dachshund to bring into action. Frankly I cannot recall any having gone farther than maybe 250 yards ... other than the flat out misses !!!

The other favorite bullet of mine is the Sierra "Game King". Yep ... these are both oldies. But it is hard to get me to come off these two. I tried Nosler Ballistic Tips in a 30/06 Spr. and 300 Win. Mag. set-up. Accurate as all get out, but at close range (100 yards in), if I hit the shoulder ... well it was mince meat. Plus I had one that "blew up" with little penetration. That was a weird deal. Nice buck at maybe 30 yards. Dead on the shoulder. Rolled the buck. Got up and covered nearly a quarter mile before going down. Entrance wound was a huge hole, exposing at least a 4" diameter of the ribcage. No exit at all. Fragments all through the lungs. So, right or wrong thinking, I don;t use the old style BT for hunting.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

"Frankly I cannot recall any having gone farther than maybe 250 yards ..."

Wow, I'd be a little pissed if I shot a deer and it ran off 250yds. I've never had a whitetail or muley go more than 10'....guess your deer are tougher than ours.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

For me it's 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tips for deer sized game out of my 7mm rem mag. Never had a problem. However I have taken whitetails and mulie's with various bullets from 140-160gr chucked from 7mm rem mags. I seem to end back at the NBT as I like the wound channels it provides which has equalled for meshort yards after the shot scampers and excellent blood trails when needed for tracking. Not to mention it shoots lights out and fits my long range potential applications as well.

When it comes to picking a bullet I advise to match the application of the hunt:

If you plan to shoot longer distance and/or lay off the shoulder a expansion bullet such as the NBT (i mentioned above), etcwill work well
If your shots are close or you like taking aim on the shoulders a bullet with some controlled expansion would be better suited (such as: nosler parts, TBBC, TSX, etc)
If it could be close/far and hit bone/or ribs only bullets (such as; Accubond, interbong, Nosler Part, etc) are a wise choice.

Once you have selected which application matches your situatioon it is a matter of finding thebullet/grain sizeshoots best in your rifle.

Quick Reply: 7mm Rem. Mag Bullets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.