Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Winchester Model 70 .375H&H, we need it!!! >

Winchester Model 70 .375H&H, we need it!!!

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Winchester Model 70 .375H&H, we need it!!!

Old 04-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Winchester Model 70 .375H&H, we need it!!!

Was neverreally saying it is "the best"

You were not but the original poster claimed it was ideal
Old 04-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Typical Buck

Standard length action vs. longer actions, ie .375h&h?

Less you're modifying an older action/rifle, who cares? many rifle makers chamber the .375H&H so whats the matter if its a longer action?
The idea is that there are greater clearances for feeding and ejecting rounds which should improve feeding reliability. As you can tell from my last posts I would have no reservations with the 70 pre 64, or the classic action. In fact if you do asearch on "dangerous game rifle" you will see the 70 mentioned over and over again in various magazine articles as a good action for that purpose.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

model 70 pre 64? classic?

what version are they producing currently? what was the most recent version when they were producing .375h&h rifles?
Old 04-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

what version are they producing currently? what was the most recent version when they were producing .375h&h rifles?

They were producing 375's untilright before they closed the doors. They aren't producing anything currently and the re-done models will be available late summer or early fall at the earliest.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun_inventory/inventory/rogers/win_rifle/688968_big5_rog.jsp?hierarchyId=11931
Old 05-02-2008, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

In Sweden they did a hunter survey on cartridges used in the annual moose hunt and they found the animals didn't die any quicker or travel any farther with the big bores.375H+H [was mentioned] or the 6.5x55 for that matter.No surprise bullet placement was more important.............Harold
Old 05-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pioneer2

In Sweden they did a hunter survey on cartridges used in the annual moose hunt and they found the animals didn't die any quicker or travel any farther with the big bores.375H+H [was mentioned] or the 6.5x55 for that matter.No surprise bullet placement was more important.............Harold
That's all well and good. I hope all of your shots are perfect in your hunting career. If you ever do have a shot that is not perfect, I hope it ends well. You chances however, will be better with the bigger bores on a marginal shot. If you've never made a marginal shot, then you haven't been hunting very long. I know shot placement is important, and I don't look down on the folks that don't use bigger bores. However, I do understand the reasoning behind the folks that do!
Old 05-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

model 70 pre 64? classic?

The pre 64 action was produced for approx 30 years ending in 64 It is based on the mauser action and is a controlled round feed and firmly holds the round and guides it into the chamber and is equipped with a large claw extractor. They supposedly abandoned this due to manufacturing costs.

The "classic" is an updated version of the 64 it is still a very reliable feeding action. It is slightly longer than the pre 64. The Classic is what you would be looking for in a new gun in 375 H&H.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

Where can you find a Ruger RSM for under a $1000? To my knowledge they don't just sell actions and the rifles I have seen lately were $1900 to $2200. With used keeping pace. Have been in the market for a .458 Lott for some time and regret not buying one when they could be had for about 1400 cause' I thought it was too much money.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

So apparently winchester rifles are back! and why they don't offer the .375H&H illudes me, mass marketing?
I asked the exact same question back in January when I got their 2008 dealers packet from Browning. Of course the answer is simple and I understand it totally and agree with it. It all comes back to economics 101. But, I am nostalgic and a romantic myself, so I would like to see it back in 375... though if I ever bought one... I'd buy an orginal pre-64... price be damned. I wouldn't hunt with it anyway.... there are things I'd rather have than another rifle I'd hardly ever shoot.

Look at why New Haven and Winchester went under in the first place. Look at their production numbers. Look at how many guns they had in inventory when they made the announcement that they were going to close the doors (and look at what happened to demand and prices!).

Now, you gotta think about your customer and your market. Fact is, most of the folks going to Africa are bringing their American deer and elk rifles. By and large, the 30-06 still rules the roost over their much like it does here. Behind that, you'll find the 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag, 7 Mag, .270 and even the .308. Same as for deer over here. And to be honest, most PHs will tell you to bring your deer rifle with you. Something you are familiar and comfortable with. Winchester ain't really concerned about the 300-500 rifles or so a year they could sell to the medium-big bore crowd... they want to focus on restablishing a foothold in the American market. How do you do that? You make a good, quality firearm, in the US, at a decent price, in cartridges most in demand by todays consumers. Fact is, there just ain't many southern boys looking to hunt deer with .375 H&Hs or .220 Swifts.

Before you see Winchester bring out another .375 (though they may offer a super grade or custom shop type gun), you are going to see the 1894 come back out. Sales of lever guns have absolutely exploded since the 94 went bunk. Marlins are selling out at gun shops. Mossberg is even in the game now for 2008. Henry's are selling, and I think they are WAY WAY WAY overpriced... and mostly in useless calibers for hunters.

Now, when it comes to dangerous game, their are rules in play. A lot of outfitters will have a rifle you can use, but by and large if you are going on one of these hunts then the difference between $1300 for a CZ and $13,000 starting out for a Blazer or Kreighoff is about as hard a choice as super-sizing your Big Mac combo meal for another 39 cents.

I remember coming back from a successful offshore fishing trip with my grandfather and dad on paw-paws 28' Albemarle. Its a hell of a great fishing boat (or was, he gets a new one every two years its seems). We came back into the inlet, and the owner (not the captain, the owner) of a dang near new 68' Viking was at the fuel dock. My paw-paw asked him what it ran him price wise and what his fuel bill was. The guy pulled a $100 bill out his pocket, tore it in half and threw it in the water. He looked at paw-paw. Then he took another one, tore it in half, and threw it in the water. I was fixing to go swimming at this point. He then took a third $100 bill out, tore it in half and threw it in the water. He looked at paw-paw and said... if you can't afford to do that, then you can't afford one of these. It was a pretty condescending thing to do to him, considering the position he held at the time (the owner didn't know better). But it proves two things: 1) if you have to worry about the price, then you probably can't afford it 2) some people are stupid enough to spend $300 just to make a point and show off when a simple sentence with an appropriate adjective would have done the same. It also goes to show something that a lot of Americans (esp middle class Americans) are guilty of.... spending all of their safari money on a rifle, and not having enough left over to go hunting....