Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Sako rifles - any good ? >

Sako rifles - any good ?

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Sako rifles - any good ?

Old 04-26-2008, 12:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sako rifles - any good ?

ORIGINAL: bugsNbows

Sako's are great, especially the 75's. There have been numerous (less than flattering) discussions on here regarding the A-7. I believe I'd take an 85 over the A-7. You can still find decently priced 75's around ...like on Gunbroker. With that said, you may wish to save up more and look at the Coopers. All I can say is holy cow. Puts my Kimber to shame. They are awesome. Made right here in the good ole' USA too. Good luck.
Cooper Hmm..Just what makes them better(in your opinion)
than Kimber?
Finishing, accuracy weight, wood to metal fit, price?
Just curious is all,we don't have Cooper rifles up here.
And am looking at a new firearm thinking about Kimbers myself because of the mauser action,inletting job, pillar bedding, match barrel, and because,they pay very close attention to make sure the barrel square with action,(chamber)neck squared with chamber, locking locks bear evenly etc.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Jeff Ovington

Sako's are great, especially the 75's. There have been numerous (less than flattering) discussions on here regarding the A-7. I believe I'd take an 85 over the A-7. You can still find decently priced 75's around ...like on Gunbroker. With that said, you may wish to save up more and look at the Coopers. All I can say is holy cow. Puts my Kimber to shame. They are awesome. Made right here in the good ole' USA too. Good luck.
than Kimber?
And am looking at a new firearm thinking about Kimbers myself because of the mauser action,inletting job, pillar bedding, match barrel, and because,they pay very close attention to make sure the barrel square with action,(chamber)neck squared with chamber, locking locks bear evenly etc.
Kimbers used to be great, until the head gunsmith left and started a new company...Cooper Firearms.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jeepkid

ORIGINAL: Jeff Ovington

than Kimber?
Kimbers used to be great, until the head gunsmith left and started a new company...Cooper Firearms.
Really.Man that sucks..
Kimber shoulda offered him$150 million,10 year contract to have him stick around.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Oregon kimbers do not have anything to do with the currently produced NY Kimbers. THe only thing they both seem to share are poor QC.When Kimber of Oregon went bust Dan Cooper started his own gun company in Montana. The new Kimbers while a marketing mans dream suffer from poor QC and are really not in the same league as the previous Kimber. The only thing that makes a Cooper a really good rifle is attention to detail. They are not a perfect design by any measure.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:30 PM

I currently have one Kimber of Oregon rifle, and owned three more at one time. I much prefer the Sako rifles. I don't have any experience with the A7, but the other Sako I've owned were all great rifles.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

My three main hunting rifles are (ranked in order of preference) Cooper 52M, Sako 75, Kimber 84M. I'm here to tell you the Coopers are the best of a good bunch. Great shooters. Excellent craftsmanship. Guaranteed to shoot or they WILL make it right. Coopers can be configured with all sorts of options including fancy wood or synthetic stocked for real world usage. Coopers main downside is build time. Expect to wait a minimum of 6-8 months unless you get one off Gunbroker or stocking gunshops like Hendershots (for example). I just had my 25-06 Cooper to the range yesterday. I had no problem making 5 shot sub-MOA groups with three types of factory loadings. The best performer was Stars and Stripes loaded 100 gr. TSX bullets. Real accurate. I'm very satisfied with the Cooper 52.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just looked at the Cooper firearms.
I noticed too that they provide a Model 22 in a 6.5x.284.
The cal is one plus over Kimber.
I think its there bottem end model the Classic for $1500.
Its only a singleshot mind you.But thats all I need
Noticed that they use a Sako style extraction.
BUTS WHATS WITH THE ALUM TRIGGER GUARD[:'(]
Even if its their bottem end model, for 1500 bucks I would expect it to be steel..
Oh well, I just get a block of steel myselfand get one of the guys at work to machine it for me..
Not a bad rifle over all though.I just don't know how I'd get it shipped across the boarder in Can.
We finally got Kimbers into Kamloops, and those Custom Noslers because people are noticing and ordering them them
fairly often now. I'll have to see how much Red Tape it will be to get a Cooper in..

Old 04-27-2008, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

Jeff, I have a few Coopers, Sakos and a Kimber and they are all great rifles in their own way. The Coopers have a 1/2 moa guarantee while the Sako's offer 1 moa and the Kimber, well they dont offer anything other than saying the use match grade barrels,triggers and are bedded. In my case, they all work great for their intended purposes.

Since you mentioned the 6.5x284 that Cooper makes I post a pic of my M22. It likes a diet of R22 and 142 SMK's.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow..Very very impressive group Double A.
I know it has to with the gun/scope and the load..BUT
Geez thats some damn fine markship on your part.
Very very nice.

Old 05-03-2008, 11:00 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

Scott Newman, a bear guide in Petersburg AK, was horribly mauled a few years ago when his Sako jammed on him as he was tracking a client's wounded bear. I saw his scars and the defective bolt last fall. Ask him what he thinks of Sakos.

(There. That ought to stir things up a bit!)

Quick Reply: Sako rifles - any good ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.