Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

.375 Ruger m77

Old 03-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: .375 Ruger m77

Barring the case jams in a rifle, which I really don't see that happening, and adding a 100fps to the h&h, in a sense its the same round just in a .30-06 length action, so better? I say if that makes it better, its better, otherwise its the same, i dont see it being worse.....in anyway.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

In general the 375 Ruger seems to have an edge in performanceovermost 375 H&H production ammo, but when I look at the best available production ammo there are 375 H&H rounds that generate 5,000 lbs KE.I do not see numbers that high from any of the 375 Ruger ammo. It may well be out there and I could be mistaken I just did not come across any in brief internet search.

It seems in this post that it is assumed that the Ruger has superior performance. I just wanted to mention that the high end H&H ammo is every bit the match "if not superior" tothe Ruger
Old 03-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Scott Gags

In general the 375 Ruger seems to have an edge in performanceovermost 375 H&H production ammo, but when I look at the best available production ammo there are 375 H&H rounds that generate 5,000 lbs KE.I do not see numbers that high from any of the 375 Ruger ammo. It may well be out there and I could be mistaken I just did not come across any in brief internet search.

It seems in this post that it is assumed that the Ruger has superior performance. I just wanted to mention that the high end H&H ammo is every bit the match "if not superior" tothe Ruger
All mylooking was done from a handloader perspective, soI never really accounted for factory ammo. In sifting through the data I came to the conclusion that the ruger was comparable to the H&H in terms numerics perfromance.The true gain or allure to this cartridge is due to its effecient case and design it is able to produce similar numbers in a smaller lighter package.AsI mentioned this comes with a price in recoil which may mean that a lot of otherwise 375 user might be turned off by thebelt they receive from the lighter 375 versions. However at present only brass i can find is frontier (hornady). Limiting for a handloader as well. I can walk into any shop and pick up H&H brass without spending a lot either.

Forthe factory ammo shooter the H&H has a markable edge being its established and loaded by everyone choices are vast. I am not 100% sure that anyone is yet loading the 375ruger other then Hornady of course (seeing its a ruger/hornady combined effort)??

I certainly wouldn't dump a H&H for a Ruger but starting from scratch especially for use in NA ithas appeal.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Better brass, ammo should come along too btw. I'm thinking get a .375 h&h and a .416 Ruger, would anyone disagree that a .416 Ruger would be awesome? Just a even smaller market....

Old 03-23-2008, 09:11 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

"....would anyone disagree that a .416 Ruger would be awesome?"
I have yet to hear of anyone who has created one or fired one, to my knowledge it is simply vapor out in wildcat land....
probably best to wait for the facts before declaring its standing.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

Better brass, ammo should come along too btw. I'm thinking get a .375 h&h and a .416 Ruger, would anyone disagree that a .416 Ruger would be awesome? Just a even smaller market....

I am not sure what you mean by better brass? However as it sits right now option 1 and only 1 frontier aka Hornady.

As far as ammo, well it appears that the 375ruger isn't part of the Hornady magical powder that the RCM's useto get the performance.I suspect your right others will come on stream if demand dictates. However for today Hornady as well is your stop for ammo andlimited considering the options for .375 cal bullets. Personally rather have a Barnes TSXvs Hornady vanilla for DG. Its new, just like the wsms were at one time time will tell. Unless youreload the H&H at present stands alone in the .375 bracket.

I agree with EKM at this pointjust dust in the wind as far as standard chamberings go.