Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 What should I do?   Scope repair question >

What should I do? Scope repair question

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

What should I do? Scope repair question

Old 03-06-2008, 06:50 PM

Default RE: What should I do? Scope repair question

I had a Simmons 8point on my muzzleloader for 5 years, and I have a Sightron 3-9 on my new muzzleloader, and both work perfectly. Needing a shotgun scope for a shotgun or muzzleloader is BS. The only difference is the parallax. Generally rifle scopes are set at 100-150 yards, rimfire scopes at 50 yards, and shotgun/muzzleloader scopes are set at 60-75.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Rifleman your dad would ask "How dumb are you?"? You should ask your dadthe same question.
There wasn't a single thing in that post that was factual. I don't knowif your dad actually told youany of that stuffyou stated but whoever you heard it from I would, from now on, take their advice with a grain of salt.

And why not have a Bushnell elite on a shotgun? The elite designation is simply a series designation. There is an Elite3200, 4200 and now a 6500 (sweet BTW).They make a whole bunch of scopes in the elite line. Even "shotgun" scopes.

Any way, the scope should be sent back to Bushnell. They will either repair or replace it and you will only be out about $10 shipping. It has a lifetime warranty through Bushnell.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with you all,if a rifle scope is designed to handle the recoil of some of the heavy magnums used for brown bear and dangerous game,I'm allmost certain that it will handle the recoil of any shotgun,I shot a 338 one time and I still remember it,and I'm sure that some rifles are a lot worse than it was,my 12 guage dont kick that bad with 3.5 inch mag loads.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Typical Buck

It's me again,I just read that guys post again,if I'm correct my muzzle loader is a rifle,and it has a rifle scope on it for the last three years and remains sighted in from one season to another,I guess it would do better if I replaced the rifle scope with a muzzle loader scope it makes me ask my self "how dumb are you'' I realy thought that nikon was working flawlessly each season when I kill a deer or two with it must be "dumb luck" sorry we cant all be as smart as one person!
Old 03-07-2008, 04:16 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks fellows for your info. I will send it in. I thought it had a lifetime warranty, but no where in the booklet I have that came with it does it say anything about a lifetime warranty. (I don't have the box, which may have on its exterior "lifetime warranty" for marketing it). The booklet just tells where to send it. The part aboutadding $10 with shipment of scope and they'll give me a quote on repairis info I got off their web site.

Thanks again
Dan
Old 03-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: The Rifleman

My dad would say - How Dumb are You?

You cannot use a rifle scope on either a Muzzleloader or a Shotgun.

A rifle scope is designed for a Rifle ONLY!

There is different harmonic's between a rifle and a shotgun and that is what broke your scope. The different type of recoil between the two will break almost any type of rifle scope - even a Leupold.

Besides that - you do not need a Bushnell Elite 3200 on a Shotgun!

Even with a rifled slug, your effective range is still less than 200 yards.

If you would have PAID someone to mount your scope for you - that knew something about guns and scopes, they would have advised you not to do it and would also had advised you to buy a shotgun scope for your muzzleloader or shotgun and not a rifle scope.

Play dumb, send it back. Bushnell will replace it.

Go out and BUY a shotgun scope and put the rifle scope on a rifle and you will not have anymore problems.

The things you see on here...lmao!! You couldnt pay money for entertainment like this!
Old 03-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

I use an Elite 3200 on a muzzle loader an my slug gun and have had no problems with hundreds of rounds. I would send it in maybe they'll fix it for free or if you have to put a little money in it would be less then buying a new one.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: dkbs

Thanks in advance for any responses.

I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 Rifle Scope w/ Rainguard. For me an expensive scope, about $200 a number of years ago. I put it on an inline muzzleloader, worked great. Moved it to a Rem 870 12 gauge and worked fine for a year or two. Now it seems to not hold its zero and doesn't respond the way it should to adjustment. To rule out the gun and because I wanted another gun, I bought an H&R Ultra Slug gun and put the scope on it. Same problem. We ruled out the shooter by my son shooting it and I his gun and the terrible groups went with the gun with that scope. I know some people say don't put a rifle scope on a shotgun, but does the shotgun kick any harder than one of those big African Magnums.
Heres the question, should I waste the $20 to send the scope in to get an estimate for repairs? Or am I throwing the money away because by the time I add more money to it, I could get a cheap scope that would last as long.

Dan
I sent a scop back to busnell.
They said it wasn't repairable so they sent me a new one like the one I sent to them.
They was going to charge $60.00 for a new one.
So I called them and fussed about having to pay for a scope with a limeted life time warrenty.
Then the said OK and they sent it to me no charge.
Just cost me insurance and shipping to and from them.

What ever you do good luck.

PS just don't tell them you put it on anything other than a rifle.
They will say it was missused and won't send another one.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm with the majority,have owned several muzzleloaders but never owned a ML/Shotgun scope -all have worn rifle scopes!

I also agree send it back to Bushnell with a simple but descriptive written note"scope doesn't hold POI or track adjustments, any longer"! If they try to upcharge you for anything other then shipping then as jrbsr mentions do not comply! That is BS it states Lifetime and unless they can prove its been abused they have no reason to eek any more cash out of the consumer.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:22 AM

I buy used Leupolds all the time without hesitations. The last deal I got was a really old 3x9x42 Leupold Vari-X II, for $160 which included shipping. This scope’s power adjustment ring was supper tight to turn. I didn’t hesitate to send it in for repair. After about 2 months, I received a brand new $300 VXII 3x9x40 glass scope. They were unable to repair my scope, so they replaced it free of charge.

Quick Reply: What should I do? Scope repair question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.