Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

S & W Sigma .40 cal

Old 02-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default S & W Sigma .40 cal

I just bought a Smith and Wesson .40 cal and I am haveing a hard time shooting it. I am all over the paper, it is the first pistol that I have owned. If you all have any tips in shooting a pistol it would be helpful. I am a pretty good rifle shooter and I am just wondering if there are differant things that you concentrate on while shooting a pistol compared to a rifle.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: S & W Sigma .40 cal

ORIGINAL: Armybowhunter28

I just bought a Smith and Wesson .40 cal and I am haveing a hard time shooting it. I am all over the paper, it is the first pistol that I have owned. If you all have any tips in shooting a pistol it would be helpful. I am a pretty good rifle shooter and I am just wondering if there are differant things that you concentrate on while shooting a pistol compared to a rifle.
You could get some good bits & pieces of info. in a place like this, but it might be tough to assimilate them into a cogent shooting regimen. I'd highly recommend spending $35 or $40 @ your local range for some 1-on-1 time in a basic handgun course/class. It would set you up for success, and hopefully keep you from developing any bad (or worse yet, UNSAFE) habits. A wonderful use of 1 hour of your time.

Actually, that's what got me back into shooting/hunting after a 20 year layoff. I had wanted to take a handgun class for years, since I'd never shot a handgun, & I wanted to confirm that all the romantic ideas I'd attached to handguns from watching TV & movies was just pure BS. Naturally, it was nothing like the movies: I found out it took a lot of discipline, focus, and attention. I also found out that I LOVED it!

Good Luck!

FC
Old 02-27-2008, 07:52 PM

I purchased the same type pistol a few years back and have never been able to get it shoot right.Thing shoots a 1.5ft low at 15yds,I mean it groups decent just consistently shoots low.talked to a few other people and they said it was just a "throw" away pistol S&W made for NATO
Old 02-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

The biggest problem with the sigmas is that the trigger pull is about 12 pounds. It's real tough to keep a good aim with a trigger pull that heavy on a hand gun. A gunsmith can lighten and smooth up the trigger but some won't touch triggers like these.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

The sigma has always been cursed with that heavy trigger. i was going to get on but when I heard all the bad reviews I got something different. Other than that its a good gun. Get a trigger job and try again.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Typical Buck

Now that you all mention it the trigger is pretty heavy, I was getting it on the 12 inch by 12 inch paper today but it was all over and no groups. It has to be the trigger, because I changed targets and did better when I really concentrated on my trigger squeeze. I am going to go shoot again tomarrow and see how I do.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:26 AM

I put a lighter striker spring in mine and it lightend up the trigger alot but then it was really picky on what ammo it would shoot. Alot of rounds it would just put a small dent in the primer. I only used to for targets so when i got the trigger down to 5 pounds i was happy even though it didnt shoto all the rounds.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

They have a heavy trigger pull, you need to practice good trigger control or you will pull the shots low. That's the reason why some fo the cheap pistols are more difficult to shoot than betetr one.

Set up a target in you basement or living room, etc. Make sure the pistol is empty (triple check this and make sure there isn't any ammo in the same room.) balance a dime on the front of the slide and practice dry firing the pistol. You need to take up the trigger smoothly and evenly while keeping the target on top of the front sight. Practice doing this about 20 times a day. Honestly, it will help, but a trigger job that cuts the weight of the pull in 1/2 will help much more as well.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Spike

I have the same pistol. No problems at all.
I does have a heavy trigger pull.
I fiind if i stage the trigger first, then pull through
and hold pistol firm on target accuracy improves greatly.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:34 AM
Fork Horn

Triggers are too heavy on those guns, they are a cheap gun. Pick up a glock next time, awesome rigger and very accurate, and youll have a hell of a time finding ammo that wont shoot out of it.

Quick Reply: S & W Sigma .40 cal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.