Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Handgun question

Old 02-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Spike

Default Handgun question

Iam going to buy a handgun in a 45 acp,my question is which make should i buy.I was thinking a glock or a kimber(desert warrior) which onewould bemy best choice or what other make would you recommend. thanks for your time
Old 02-07-2008, 10:49 PM

Default RE: Handgun question

Well, no expense spared, the Kimber's are great guns, as are the Glocks. Taurus just released a new 1911 that's about half the price of the Kimber .45's, not as flashy though.

I'm assuming you want a full sized model. It'd help to head to a dealer and hold a variety of them, see how the grips fit you. I've had friends with big hands say they don't like the larger grips on some of the GLocks, while they seem to fit me fine.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:57 AM

Another super gun to check out is the Springfield XD. Their new, or relatively new compact .45 holds I think 13 or 14. Pretty impressive for a compact .45. I Like them better than the Glocks, but that is just my preference. like others have said, go to the gun shop and handle as many as possible to figure out what you like. I would even suggest 1) go to a gun show as you are more likely to have a larger selection to check out, and / or 2) find a gun shop - range that has guns you can shoot to see what you like.

Good Luck

Old 02-08-2008, 05:52 AM

Another vote for the Taurus PT-1911. There is a thread here on these outstanding pistols and everyone who has purchased one can't say enough good things about them...including me. $585 for a 1911 model 45 with about $1500 worth of custome features is hard to beat. Ported, polished, skeleton hammer and triggers, adjustable sights, ambi-safeties are only a few of the mods you get with this gun. I bought new Kimber couple of years ago and the Taurus is 50% more gun. The Taurus never jams and the Kimber couldn't dig through a clip full without a jam or two. Kimbers are way over-rated and Taurus are way under-rated.

Check one out and you WILLbuy it.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

i just bought a taurus PT1911 and love it. i have put a little over 400 through it and it hasnt had a hiccup yet. i am expecting a cmc ss mag in the mail todaywant to start trying some other goodies out with it and see how it runs. great little gun. lots of fun. one thing i will say about it that i dont care for is the weak finish. but as soon as it gets alittle more wear on it im gonna use a coating of some sort on it and refinish it. as well as that its gonna get a new set of grips.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

I live in Springfield, Mass about two miles from the Smith and Wesson factory. They have a nice shooting center where you can try out different handguns and I love their 1911. Very solid gun, great trigger, and even with the cheap ammo they have there it is real accurate. They are a little big for a carry gun, so I don't know if that is what you are looking for. Another thing, although S&W are really hyping their new M&P line, I think they kinda suck..but just my 2 cents.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

Don't forget to look at Sigs. I have a Sig 220 Elite with night sights that has beena very good shooter and hasn't jammed on me so far.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are looking for a full size 45acp check out the HK 45 acp. It is the big version of the HK P30.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Spike

Thanks guysfor all the info. i'am now looking at the Taurus PT1911
Old 02-09-2008, 07:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Trapper

Thanks guysfor all the info. i'am now looking at the Taurus PT1911
Get one and you too can be a happy camper.

Quick Reply: Handgun question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.