Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

CZ 22 varmint

Old 01-26-2008, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default CZ 22 varmint

Was checking this gun out... Does anybody have one and if so hows it shoot???
Old 01-27-2008, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CZ 22 varmint

I have the American, which is verysimular to the Varmint,and I believe that CZ makes one of the best .22's on the market today. They're built like a $700 American made rifle. The only thing that I found that I didn't like on the rifle was the trigger. It was probably 3-5 pounds but it had some creep to it.Another thing that I would strongly recommend would be akit from http://ebrooks77.50megs.com/and it'll bring that rifle to life! He has scope rings and just about anything else you would need for the CZ rifles as well.

I maybe got a little anal with mine because I pulled the barreled action and sanded out the barrel channel to make sure it was free floating, and coupled with the trigger kit made the rifle twice as accurate. I shoot mostly Wolf Match through it and it'll keep them very tight at 50 yards. I would definitely get another one.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:24 AM

CZ makes great rifles. I have a CZ 527 American in 204 Ruger. Its an extremely accurate rifle and the set trigger is great on them. I have mine set at 1 pound.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:13 AM

I have an American in 17HMR, and a Trainer in 22LR. Both are very accurate for their price range (you'd have tospend a lot more ona low end Anschutz or Cooper to have a better chance of getting a shooter). The only downside is there is no aftermarket for them compared to the10/22, and Anschutz. My Trainer will put 10 shots in .55 measured outside to outside from a bench at roughly 60 yards if I do my part. I don't shoot high dollar match stuff either. That group was with CCI SGBs as I was checking my zero for hunting squirrels. I wouldn't recommend buying anything from Eric Brooks. His products are great, but he's 50/50 on whether or not you'll actually get what you ordered. You'd be better off to CALLWhittakers and ask if they havehis trigger kitin stock as it doesn't show up on there website. I recommend BKL 257 rings, as they are self centering, and will fit either of the CZ dovetails.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:47 AM

I have a 452 Varmint that will shoot as tight as my Anschutz 54. It's not nearly as smooth in the trigger department, but it's very accurate. I worked my trigger over the best I could, but it will never be in the Anschutz class. Of course it cost $900.00 less or so than the Anschutz as well!
Old 01-27-2008, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would like to get one for squirrel hunting... The trigger is kinda S!@#y looking thoe[:'(]
Old 01-27-2008, 10:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

I would like to get one for squirrel hunting... The trigger is kinda S!@#y looking thoe[:'(]
I've never worried about what the trigger looked like personally. I can't see it while I'm shooting so it could be s#!t brown for all I care. My CZ's didn't have the best triggers in the world, but they were better than any of the other rimfires I own (1 Remington, 3 Marlins, and a pre accutrigger Savage), and can be made even better with the Brook's kit for less than a brick will cost you.

Since you're using it for squirrel hunting (I assume tree squirrels) I would recommend an American over a Varmint, but that's just my personal preference. I tend to walk 5+ miles, go home to eat lunch, then walk 5+ miles again when squirrel hunting, so I cut as much weight as possible.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

Ruger 77/22, CZ 22, and Kimber 22 for cost.

I have a 77/22 that at fifty yards 5-10 shot groups are smaller than a dime say .25-.375 inch with either CCI Green Tag or Eley EPS flat points. I perfer the standard quiter ammo for squirrel hunting it dosen't scare the whole woods, I can just keep hunting. The EPS flat tip is tops for hunting drops em with out undo meat damage but spending.
I am about to order a CZ American in 222rem becauseCZ makes a great gun.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:27 PM
Typical Buck

MR Longbeard I have a cz452 american and my trigger is adjustable,I have it set at 9.5 oz. and I didn't buy a trigger kit,there is an adjustment on mine from the factory and with the 4.5x14 nikon buckmaster on it you have just a ragged hole for a 5 shot group at 50 yards with cci mini-mags,my rifle loves them and remington sub-sonics.These gun are in a class by themselves for a $300 rifle you could spend $500to$600 for a used remington541T or more for a browning or kimber or several other high end 22's and have a more expensive rifle that doesn't shot any better.This is the only 22 that I have ever owned that would ever out shoot my 541T that I sold several years ago.The triggers are great and there is an easy adjustment by turning the trigger rod nut it is in the owners manual,I dont know if they offer a left hand version you could possibly order one,trust me these are incredible deals and very accurate.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:39 PM

I just realized I made a mistake in my original post. You need to call Whittakersto see if they have any in stock, and get a price as they are not listed on the website. Brownell's as far as I know does not stock the trigger kit. I'll edit the original post.

Coyote#68- The nut on neither my American 17HMR, or my Trainer 22LR wouldn't drop my trigger anywhere close to that even with the nut removed completely so the spring ran the full length of the rod. I was only getting about 4lbs, andmore creep than I'd like. Now with the kit both guns have about 2lb triggers with almost no creep. You can go lower than that, but these are both hunting guns so that's about as low as I want them.

Quick Reply: CZ 22 varmint

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.