Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

This is ONE UGLY RIFLE

Old 01-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default This is ONE UGLY RIFLE

Periodically I hear people describe certain rifles as "ugly". For example, some describe Savage 110's as ugly guns. Some say mossbergs are ugly. And on and on. I can't truly say that I've seen an "ugly" rifle, especially if its brand new. Maybe I'm missing something. Can someone tell me what makes a rifle ugly. All jokes aside guys...
Old 01-23-2008, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: This is ONE UGLY RIFLE

I would not use the term ugly. I would use the term plain, or featureless. Tom.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:44 PM
Typical Buck

I'm sure some people have their opinion as to what an Ideal rifle should look like. For example what type of woodgrain cut looks nice (tight lines or open grain). The curves in the stock design or the checkering and the overall fit and finish of the gun should be pleasing to the eye. So they are using that base for a qualifier of what looks "good". I think a good looking gun is one that attracts the eye without added embelishments. If the lines are rough or the stock is off color that would distract me. Also, a ton of fancy cut and metalwork turn me off. I like a smooth clean plane rifle. However, I try to remember that the #1 aspect of a rifle is how it fires. My 30-06 has an odd woodgrain pattern in it that at first looked ugly to me but I've gotten over that more and more as it has put meat on the table.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

Just take a look at a Mosin/Nagant or an SMLE, should be the definition of ugly.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not to say that "ugly" guns can't excell from a practical stand point but here are some examples of rifles that IMO represent the beautiful and ugly side of rifles.

Beautiful rifles...

Ugly rifle...

Old 01-23-2008, 07:46 PM

Hey that savage looks fine to me bigbulls
Old 01-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

Bigbulls, ya have to love those Coopers......

Beautiful is in the eye of the beholder and is very subjective. I think that in the case of the Savages and Mossbergs that their fit, finish and stock material has been sub-par when compared with the other major makers but in recent years they have come along waysand catch up. Everyone has different taste in which is pleasing to their eyes. I have a liking for stocks with some character/figure. I have a few Ruger 77's and while they are solid rifles I never considered them as nice looking in my book until recently when I accquired this one, it'sfactory stocked MK II in 270 Win.

[

Old 01-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

i consider my groundhog rig to be pretty ugly...

i actually almost didnt ask to see the rifle because of the nasty looking OD green stock...have a mossberg 500 dad got me in the same color...musta got a deal on it because he hated it so bad he painted the stock before i asked lol...

(man its hard to get pics that show off the guns color...but you get the idea)

see what i mean?? its definently not an attractive rifle....but it has...character? i think it came together nicely and the OD green grew on me...after looking at the same rifle in black, i liked the green stock better...a rifle that size looked worse in 1 color IMO...but i like it now...

stock aint going to be on there long....got a laminate thumbhole planned from richards microfit sooner or later...trigger job is first...then stock...then barrel down the road...bought the rifle for an instant groundhog rig...but in due time, its a project rifle...till then, i like the OD green stock...but its ugly IMO...just has a certain....look that makes it look pretty awesome in the same sense that its ugly lol...
Old 01-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

An ugly gun to me is one that just won't shoot good.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wow, that's a heck of a factory stock on that Ruger you got there doubleA!

Quick Reply: This is ONE UGLY RIFLE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.