Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Best conceal carry pistol for self defence. >

Best conceal carry pistol for self defence.

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Best conceal carry pistol for self defence.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Best conceal carry pistol for self defence.

I have an XD sub compact in 40S&W. I purchased this gun to act as a dual roll firearm. Both for concealed carry and a home gun. IMHO it is still a little bulky (wide)and heavyfor a true concealed carry gun unless you are a large person. I am 6'2" 275 pounds and it will still print a little in its paddle holsterunlessI am wearing a coat which is not likely in Florida. It is concealable but not the best choice IMHO.

IMHOmost any firearmthat uses a double stack magazine (Glock, XD, M&P, double stack 1911's, Walther P99 etc...)is too wide to be used as a conceal carry firearm. While a single stack firearm doesn't hold as many rounds they are far more concealable and more comfortable to wear.

For a true concealed carry gun....... S&Wairweight revolvers; Kahr arms has several of very slim and very concealable firearms; Springfield EMP and microcompact; Kimber pro carry, ultra carry and aegis II; Walther/ S&WPPK, Para carry line of LDA handguns...... Obviously there are many more options but these are some excelent examples of some fine handguns that are very easily concealed on a person.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am looking at a KAHR when my permit finally comes in
Old 12-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

Another Illinoisan here. I like my Taurus .38 snubby for traveling in the big city. Loaded with +P lead hollow-points I never feel "under gunned".

Saving my dimes for a Glock 36. .45acp, super compact, and having owned a Glock 19 for many years I know they are 100% reliable and the .45 is still the king of stopping power.

Good Hunting,
Bowflex
Old 12-13-2007, 04:49 PM

pick what ever is comfortable and shootable to you. But you owe it to yourself to look at the KAHR cw series. try one in 9mm, .40. or .45, you wont be disapionted. If you want a revolver, id pick a titanium .38 from s&w.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:24 PM

ORIGINAL: bugsNbows

I carry a Glock 23. It's the midsize .40 and is dead nutz reliable.
Same here or and old 22 mag revolver.....
Old 12-14-2007, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Icarry a Glock 27(.40 S&W) as my off duty CC weapon. I like Glocks for defensive weapons because of their simplicity and reliability, however there are many other excellent choices out there. Let me throw a few things out that no one has yet mentioned. Whatever you carry you need a quality holster and a quality belt tocomfortably carry concealed. This means a belt specifically made for concealed carry. You can't get this belt at WalMart and it will not come cheap either. You will also need a quality holster that is designed forconcealed carry, such as an inside the waist band holster(again, this won't be cheap).Finally you must learn to dress in a way that allows you to conceal a weapon. I can effectively conceal my Glock 27 with shorts and a t shirt on during the spring, summer, and fall.Here are some links to some excellent holsters and belts:

http://www.comp-tac.com/catalog/

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/index.html

http://www.ttgunleather.com/

http://www.thebeltman.net/

http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=43&osCsid=f088d51f6f6c3ca56e86 ef99c5e83237
Old 12-14-2007, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

VAhuntr is giving you very good advice and I will put it this way " begin carrying a gun will make you understand why your wife has 100 pairs of shoes"

The gun you carry is less important in terms of concealment than what you use to carry it, I have carried a Sig 229 for 13 years among other guns all being larger. I did pick up a Glock 26 this past summer for a special circumstance. I have had many holsters over the years and found that no one holsterworks 100% of the time and the same holds true for belts. My advice would to get a great midsizegun Sig 229/228, Glock 19/23 or maybe a compact with a mag extention Glock 26/27 orSpringfield XD but somethingwhich to have pride and confidance in, then learn to dress around your gun, cause it's going to happen anyway or you will stop carrying the gun. Istarted carrying a glock 17 in a galco holster with a decentleather belt 14 years ago and here is what I learned:

The best Walmart leather belt lacks the support to carry a holster and gun, it begins to lean the guns grip outward and sags. Furthermore belts not made for carring guns while wearing pants with 5 or less belt loops will not work unless you trighen the belt so far you can't breath, and it still doesn't work well. Just bite the bullet, buy one Wilderness Instructer belt for casual, and oneKramer, Beltman Horsehide, etc for dresser times.

Cheeply made leatherholsters will ruin your guns finish due to minerals used totan the leather, additionally they are usually too soft of leather and will loose their shape over a short period of time and the gun becomes loose in the holster and may fall out at bad times, which is any time a gun falls out of a holster.Plastic, composite, kydex holsterswhatever you want to call them are loud when youhitthem, scrape them or anything them (they make noise) directing people to ask what made that noise. Keeping that in mind I have5 holsters, 4 are Kramer Horsehide leather (3 Verticals, 1 IWB #3)and the other is BladeTech inside the waistband for that Glock 26 I spoke of. The kydex holster and glock are used for deep summer concealment when I sweat, saltwater fish, exercise, and other activities that cause leather to get ruined.

Use my advice how you see fit, just know carrying a gun is a learning experence.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

The best carry gun is the one you can hit your target with. Even with a .22 you are no longer a victim. If you have a .45 auto and can't hit a torso sized target at 7-12yards it will do you no good at all.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out the para ordnance C6LDA as mine has NEVER malfunctioned,and has an extremely light,smooth dao trigger. 3"barrel .45acp trigger pull of 5 1/2 to 6lbs
Old 12-15-2007, 01:14 AM

I currently carry an HK USP compact 9. I am looking into either an XD sub compact .45, or possibly the HK P2000, or their new model Sorry, I cant remember the model off the top of my head.

You have gotten lots of great advice here. Most importantly is something that you are comfortable with, and can shoot well. THough I have told what I carry, it is more to show different guns than to say mine is better than the other guys. YOU have to remember that what works for one of us, won't necessarily work for the next. I would also suggest looking in the Para LDA pistols. I have shot a couple and they are nice. Small, and easy to handle. It was the first pistol that I have ever just picked up, and shot the center out of a 2 in bull at 12 yds. on the first go. Just saying it is worth lookin into.

good luck

Quick Reply: Best conceal carry pistol for self defence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.