Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

25 WSSM is SMOK'N!

Old 12-16-2007, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 25 WSSM is SMOK'N!

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

If only winchester had released the 25wsm instead.

Amen to that stubblejumper. I would trade in my 25-06 for a 25WSM. As it is, I am thinking hard about getting a 270WSM as it is the only WSM that is a real improvement over the standard offering without being a wildcat. I really wish they would have done a 6.5WSM foctory round with a chamber designed around the 140gr bullets. The wildcaters are getting great results with this setup.

mello

Old 12-28-2007, 12:10 PM

I like my 25 wssm just fine, whatever the tables say.
I bought it because of the supershort fat cartridge.
2 more deer this year that went NOwhere.............
I would love to have one of those d-tech ar-15's some day.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mello_collins

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

If only winchester had released the 25wsm instead.

Amen to that stubblejumper. I would trade in my 25-06 for a 25WSM. As it is, I am thinking hard about getting a 270WSM as it is the only WSM that is a real improvement over the standard offering without being a wildcat. I really wish they would have done a 6.5WSM foctory round with a chamber designed around the 140gr bullets. The wildcaters are getting great results with this setup.

mello
I wish they had a 25WSM factory offering as well. I would have one the second it came out. I have done alot of reading on the 25WSM, and i still might build one. I'm hoping they come out with some good solid reloading data first, I don't like experimenting with new loads with a new cartridge.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:32 PM

May be too late to catch any further interest in this topic here, but I'll give 2 cents just in case, cause i'm just smitten with this cartridge:

Have been reloading the 25wssm for a couple seasons (browning ABolt varmint stalker) and have found it kills deer dead, real dead, like dead where they stand out to 350 yds (not comfortable as a rifleman shooting farther), but bullet selection is absolutely critical for that performance. Hornady 117 gr BTSP have been most lethal for me, and the factory Win. Accubond (110 gr. i think) have had them run up to 30 yds, and i can believe that the ballistic silvertips would have results commented on in this forum. Suffice to say I'm just not a fan of the ballistic silvertip. The Winchester Super X factory 115 gr? PSP I've had deer run up to 50 yds as well, but i'd recommend that as the best factory load available for this caliber.

The 25-06 does have a velocity advantage, maybe less than 200 fps even to the handloader. They are pretty darn close, but if you're splitting hairs, there is an advantage to the 06, ballistically.

The point is that the 25wssm is just a really fun cartridge to shoot and extremely lethal on deer sized and smaller game. I'd highly recommend this to any new/young shooter, or any old shooter looking for something different.