Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

New to Hunting...

Old 12-06-2007, 12:07 PM

Default New to Hunting...

Hi guys any advice you could give me would be great. I am going to go hunting (Deer) for the first time next year. I need some advice on what kind of rifle to buy. I am looking at a lower cost but still a good gun. I would also needa scope, so any advice on that would be great also. The reason I am asking now is so I can get it and get use to the gun at the range before I go hunting. I have never owned a rifle only shot guns. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New to Hunting...

Look at a Savage in .270 or 30-06. Savage is a great and accurate rifle at a low cost you will not be disappointed in it. the 270 and the 30-06 are deer hunting stables and drop thousands if not millions of deer each year.

There are many other calibers out there that will do just as good though. Look around hold some guns read some reviews and find what you like.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:57 PM

Any model of Savage you suggest? I saw there is a savage gun package with a scope. The model of Savage is: 111FCXP3. I am not sure on the model or Maker of the scope.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:41 PM

I have to agree with RugerM77. Get a Savage fora good low cost rifle. Or you could buy a used rifle. I would stay away from the scoped combo rifles unless you are really short on money. If you have to get one than you will need to change the scope mounts. The scope should get you through a year or two. I dont know what your budget is but Tikka makes great rifles and they are only around $500. A Nikon scope for another $130 and you have a great hunting rig. I would get a 25-06 or 270 if i was only planning on hunting deer but if your thinking about hunting larger game in the future go with a 30-06, 7mm mag. All of them are mild to moderateon the recoil.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:32 PM

I have been looking at the Savage's and there cost is great and everyone said they shot great also. The only bad thing I have heard it they don't look the best, which is fine for me cause I am going to use it hunting and put in a show. Also the lower the gun cost the better scope I can buy. Only question I have is what model Savage do most people use any suggestions would help.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would get the Savage 111 and like they said put some good glass on it. Don't get the $30 scope in the plastic package from Wal-Mart. If you are straped for cash get a Bushnell Trophy for about $100 I did and it is working great I have already dropped two deer with it this year. It will work till I get a Nikon.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:40 PM

I just got a silver Nikon Buckmasters 3x-9x for $156. It looks great and works great. I took a beating during bear season this year and it stayed right on target.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: rgmuckli

Hi guys any advice you could give me would be great. I am going to go hunting (Deer) for the first time next year. I need some advice on what kind of rifle to buy. I am looking at a lower cost but still a good gun. I would also needa scope, so any advice on that would be great also. The reason I am asking now is so I can get it and get use to the gun at the range before I go hunting. I have never owned a rifle only shot guns. Thanks in advance for your help.
Get a second-hand Marlin 336 in 30-30, ad a 4x scope on low mounts, and kill deer.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: Catus Magnus

ORIGINAL: rgmuckli

For the most bang-for-your-buck.... get a second-hand Marlin 336 in 30-30, ad a 4x scope on low mounts, and practice. You'll get a low-recoil with little muzzle blast, that will be deadly on deer to as far out as you should be shooting (couple hundred yards). Cheap ammo, good-looking rifle, accurate, classy, lots of panache.... what's not to like?
Old 12-13-2007, 11:31 PM

Hope this helps

http://www.chuckhawks.com/choosing_hunting_rifle.htm

Quick Reply: New to Hunting...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.