Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Semi-Auto Shotgun

Old 11-19-2007, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default Semi-Auto Shotgun

I am looking to purchase a Semi-Auto Shotgun, and am considering the higher end models such as the Benelli, Beretta, Browning, and Winchester's new SX3.

I am primarily looking for a gun that has a rifled barrel with 1x28 twist for deer hunting , but am also planning to purchase a field barrel for bird hunting etc.

Can anyone offer some educated advice about these higher endshotguns?

Old 11-19-2007, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Semi-Auto Shotgun

I can't say about all of them. I have owned/shot browning,winchester,and benelli,but the latest beretti I had was a 390. The winchester is basically a browning except cheaper,beretti was great,but the benelli is the one that I liked the most. I've since sold it,along with the others,the benelli had the least amount of felt recoil,I had to almost TRY to miss with it,and have never shot as good with any other 12 gauge shotgun.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:52 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the reply. I am curious what model of Benelli you had, and if it was a slug gun? I am strongly considering the Super Black Eagle II slug gun.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:52 AM
Spike

I'd recommend the SX3, I love mine. Lightweight, low recoil, lightning quick, & just plain fits me - I've never shot this good! Mine even cycles the 1 oz loads, though the manual says it won't. I've been very impressed.

I was looking at the SBEII because it's very reliable because it is inertia driven, but decided against it for the same reason - inertia driven shotguns kick more than their gas driven counterparts.

Also beware, these guns you listed, the rifled barrels tend to be very cashy - like $400 or so. I wanted to do that also, but didn't, not when I can buy a dedicated slug gun for that price.

Just my 2 cents, but fit is more important than brand. I know guys with $100 beat up shotguns that can outshoot anyone I know, just because their guns fits perfect. I'm now a firm believer that fit makes the shooter.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Michbowhunter

Thanks for the reply. I am curious what model of Benelli you had, and if it was a slug gun? I am strongly considering the Super Black Eagle II slug gun.

A buddy of mine owns that very model and swears by it!!!! He stated that it shoots slugs to 125 yards with great accuracy!! You can also buy an extra barrel for spread shot as well!! Only thing is that price!!!![:-]
Old 11-20-2007, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

In addition to the Benelli SBEII, I've also been looking hard at the Winchester SX3. I wasn't aware that 1oz slugs would not cycle through the gun, but I guess these guns are more made for the high velocity sabots which are typically smaller.

I know that price is a factor when considering any of these higher line shotguns, and that goes for the SX3 as well. It will run you nearly $500 to add a field barrel to your slug gun! And that is not even a camo'd barrel as the SX3 Slug gun is only available in black. You can also add a field barrel to the Benelli SBEII, which comes in camo for around $500.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Spike

When I said 1 oz loads, I was talking field loads (quail, rabbit, dove etc). Slugs have plenty of recoil to cycle the shells!
Old 11-21-2007, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

Don't forget the Remington 1100 Series.
I shoot the LT-20, (20 gauge/24" rifled barrel) and it is the real deal.

Good Hunting,
Bowflex
Old 11-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the suggestion Bowflex. I had a brother in law who had a 1100 and it was always jamming up. I am really looking for a gun that will not only cycle, but cycle quickly, but I will give the Remington a look.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

the benelli's are the fastest cycling semis I've seen. I can set empty hull on side of reciever,turn up,and shoot 5 times before the hull hits the ground!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Semi-Auto Shotgun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.