Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

hornady sst bullets

Old 10-29-2007, 07:26 PM

Default RE: hornady sst bullets

thanks for all the input. I look forward to trying them out on a good buck this season. Good luck to all.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I only used them for one season and found them no more robust then an NBT, though they certainly worked on the 3 animals I harvested with them. My partner uses the IB's and they show much better then the SST interms of holding together and in his rifle shoot to near the same POI and potential as the SST, making practice cheaper. I actually loaded up some 154IB's for my 7mm rem mag, it took a little tinkering but found a load that shoots better then the Nosler AB and as good as my best NBT load. Thinking hard on giving the IB's ago this deer season for S&G's.

Good luck
Old 10-30-2007, 02:36 PM

ORIGINAL: jeepkid

A buddy of mine shot them at a deer and it blew up on the front shoulder (no penetration at all), then he had to put another in its neck and it blew up on impact too. No penetration at all, he switched to Inter-Bonds.
Do you know what distance the shot was taken from? I'm surprised at those results.

I shot a 10 point buck with my Encore pistol last year (at only 30 yards). The buck dropped on the spot, raised its head onceand took 2 breaths. I had difficulty finding the entrance and exit wounds (which were no bigger than the size of the bullet). Butthe shot was behind the shoulder and through the heart, soit didn't have much bone to contend with.

The owner of a local shop talked me intoloading up some 120 grainHornady V-max to try (He was out of the 139gr SST). Anyone try those on whitetail? (I don't mean tohighjack the thread.)

J
Old 10-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: johnshiredman

A buddy of mine shot them at a deer and it blew up on the front shoulder (no penetration at all), then he had to put another in its neck and it blew up on impact too. No penetration at all, he switched to Inter-Bonds.
Do you know what distance the shot was taken from? I'm surprised at those results.

I shot a 10 point buck with my Encore pistol last year (at only 30 yards). The buck dropped on the spot, raised its head onceand took 2 breaths. I had difficulty finding the entrance and exit wounds (which were no bigger than the size of the bullet). Butthe shot was behind the shoulder and through the heart, soit didn't have much bone to contend with.

The owner of a local shop talked me intoloading up some 120 grainHornady V-max to try (He was out of the 139gr SST). Anyone try those on whitetail? (I don't mean tohighjack the thread.)

J
I'm not sure about the distance, but I don't think it was over 100 yards. As for the V-Max, they are "explode on impact" bullets, I don't think I would try them on deer...
Old 10-31-2007, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is not the first time that I have heard this about the SST's. I have a friend in Missouri that has had the same experience. I bought a bunch of the blemished SST's from MidwayUSA and loaded some for my Sauer 202 270 last night, and I am planning to go to the range today to try them. If they shoot accurately, I will be hunting with them on Saturday to experience the devastation for myself.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Typical Buck

If you look at the data in the new Hornady reloading manual you will see the MAX loads are 2-3grs less than previous books with the same weight bullets.SST have a longer bearing surface so they take up more space in the case and may create higher preasures.BEST BE CAREFUL........Harold
Old 11-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Guys,
Santa came early this year and I aquired a used RCBS reloading setup. I am still in the reading through a couple of manuals phase. When I get back from TX in a couple of weeks is when I plan on starting to reload. I like the hornady SST's and planned on reloading with them. If these are the bullets thatI choose to go with will they have to be crimped? If so would I be better off going with the A-Max until I get a better feeling for reloading?
Thanks
Old 11-22-2007, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: havingfunnow1

I just bought a box of the Hornady 139gr SST bullets in 7mm08 and they shot great. I want to use them for whitetail deer and was wondering what any ones opinion was on these for deer? Thanks
Here is a doe taken a 150 yrds with a 30-06. Her heart was no longer in her chest when I cleaned her...

Old 11-23-2007, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you sure he wasn't shooting the V-Max. They look very similar, except the SST's have a cannelure, the V-Max's don't. Maybe he made a mistake. What cartridge was he shooting when this happened?

Mike

Old 11-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Glad they shot well for you. I just could not get them to shoot out of my Browning as well as the Interlocks. What load are you using?

Ditto. I tried some out of my Rem 7-08 and my TC 7-08 (that said, my TC doesn't like anything... and its going back to where it came from). I tried the SSTs and the SP... nothing.

I handloaded some 162gr SPs for my Remington... wow... deadly.

Just goes to show that what one rifle loves, another will hate.

Quick Reply: hornady sst bullets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.