Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Remington 700 SPS DM

Old 09-27-2007, 09:28 PM

Default Remington 700 SPS DM

I am all but set to purchase a Remington 700 SPS DM. I just want to know if this is a quality rifle. If anyone out there owns one let me know what you think. One thing I am worried about is the finish on this rifle. It's not stainless and I am worried about rusting. Let me know how this rifle is.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:13 PM

Default RE: Remington 700 SPS DM

You have choose a great rifle, I own a few 700's in both stainless and colored. The detachable mag is great, no more opening the floor plate and catching your ammo. As far as the finish have no worries it will last you a lifetime, just wipe the rifle down with a light coat of Rem Oil when you get home from the field and you will be fine. I hope this helps you!
Old 09-28-2007, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own a "few" 700's,you'll love it! Just wipe it down at the end of the day with a oil rag and you won't have any problems...
Old 09-29-2007, 12:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree.Picked up a SPS DM in 7mm 08 this spring, for the up and comers. Fine shooting rifle, about the only thing I'd do if it were for me was drop the trigger pull down a few pounds(I like 3lbs but since it's purpose is beginners I am going to leave for now).If it only had a left handed bolt I'd be use it myself.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:27 AM

I'm looking into a 700 right now, but I haven't decided between the regular floor plate or the detachable magazine. On one had, I don't want to spill bullets on the floor everytime I open the plate. On the other, I don't want to walk off and leave my magazine at home when I go hunting either.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: deepdiver

I'm looking into a 700 right now, but I haven't decided between the regular floor plate or the detachable magazine. On one had, I don't want to spill bullets on the floor everytime I open the plate. On the other, I don't want to walk off and leave my magazine at home when I go hunting either.
Me personally would rathier pick up bullets and not have a magazine.Only reason being all my 700's are hinge floor plates.But in the long run why would you leave a magazine home when it should be in the gun unloaded until your ready to use the rifle? Not trying to bewhittle you. Just in idea to think about.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:06 AM

I don't like storing a gun with a magazine in. May lead to accidents. I know that many people will say that it is a way for dust and grime to get into the gun, but I don't mind cleaning guns.

When I pick up a gun, I want to KNOW that it is empty. Bolt/slide/action open, magazine out. If it is stored that way, I can look at the gun and there is no doubt in my mind that the gun is empty. There is no way that an "accident" can happen with a gun that is stored open and empty. I have a very curious 5 year old and a super curious 3 year old. If the magazine and rounds are stored seperatly, they can't possibly get into any trouble with it. They also know never to go near a gun unless they can see that it is "open and empty." They know never to touch any gun without me or their mom there.

The other reason that I am thinking about staying away from the detachable magazine is that it is another part that can wear over time. Best just to keep it simple.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:53 PM

There's nothing wrong with the Remmy 700 but I would give the slight edge to the new Ruger.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

With a drop floorplate, you will never loose a magazine in the woods, have it fall out of a coat pocket, or leave it at home or in a vehicle by accident.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Why are you guys dumping ammo all over the floor when you unload a hinged floor plate rifle.

Why don't you just turn the gun over so the floor plate hinges upward and the ammo stays in the gun?

With a drop floorplate, you will never loose a magazine in the woods, have it fall out of a coat pocket, or leave it at home or in a vehicle by accident.
Ditto!

And what a mess our grandfathers must have had with guns rusting because they didn't have them made from stainless steel. I bet they had to buy a new gun every year with all the rusting guns in their time.

Oh, and by the way...... Stainless steel will rust if you neglect it. Just like blued steel will rust if you neglect it.

The Remington 700 is a fine rifle in any of its configurations.

Quick Reply: Remington 700 SPS DM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.