Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Winchester 190

Old 05-27-2007, 09:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default Winchester 190

Anybody own one of these? I have one that I got used when I was 14 (Im over 30 now) and have put a bazillion rounds through it. i have had problem with the barrel nut coming lose but I fixed that the other day with some lock tite. It still jams on occasion but that only with hotter stuff like cci's stingers. They are real accurate in my rifle, but they do jam. Any ideas on this one? I have worn out a firing pin (it dont look like a pin) and made another out of spring steel that I quenched later on. I am quite shure the home made firing pin isnt the cause for concern here, it is within about .002 of the old one and seems to actually work better than the old one. EJ
Old 05-28-2007, 02:49 PM

Default RE: Winchester 190

I picked up a used one 2 years ago from a divorce sale for $50. Not really knowing what it was I took it to my gunsmith for a quick once over. He stated that they were made right after winchester was turned over in 1964 and were an economy rifle. His opinion was that about 50% jam on a regular basis and a good number of them are almost non- functional (and non-fixable). Luckily, mine works pretty good. I have put shorts and longs through it and have not had many jams but have had a bunch of mis-fires ( I think it is the cheap ammo). The better ammo such as CCI have been trouble free. I threw a $40 fixed 4X scope on it and it actually shoots pretty good at 75 feet in our indoor range.

KEJ
Old 05-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Winchester 290, does that count?

Mine has been out of commision for 2 years now, I was leaning over the bridge one afternoon shooting a muskrat an the magazine tube went flying off and in the water. I need to find a new one and I'll be back in business.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:31 AM
Typical Buck

I've got a Winchester 190 that a guy I worked with about 15 years ago gave to me to give it a good cleaning. Within a week of having it, he quit his job and I haven't seen him since.

It is actually a good little rifle, fires, feeds and ejects every time. Trigger is horrible. I recently put a scope on it so that my sons could practice. Not a bad gun for what I paid for it, nothing.