Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Who can make a T/C shoot? >

Who can make a T/C shoot?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Who can make a T/C shoot?

Old 05-04-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Who can make a T/C shoot?

I'm thinking of getting a Thompson/Center Encore rifle so I can have a "switch barrel" rifle. Does anyone know how well these rifles will shoot? I would like to get a .204 with a varmint barrel first --

Thanks
Old 05-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who can make a T/C shoot?

Encores are fine guns and generally very accurate, but for starters, I would get a Bellm oversized hinge pin. Some Encores have "excess slop" between the barrel and the frame, and the oversized hinge pin will solve this. I also had trigger jobs done on all my frames. A 1.5-2# trigger really makes an Encore fun to shoot. I have never owned an Encore in 204, but it seems like a fun varmint caliber.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:24 PM

Is the hinge pin drop in or require some massaging? Thanks -
Old 05-04-2007, 04:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sticking point with some Encores is the trigger. Trigger on mine is just perfect from the factory. Encores are notorious for light hammer strikes. Simply putting a hammer extension on the gun can cause misfires. Get the stronger hammer spring from Bellm. Minenever had a misfire with the M/L barrel butthe very first roundin the .30-06 was a misfire.Gotthe Bellm spring and no more problems.

Have .22 Hornet, .223, .30-06, .50 M/L, and .35 Whelenbarrels for mine. The .35 Whelen barrel issoon to be a .35 Whelen Improved barrel. All the barrels are TC andthe Hornet, .30-06, .50 cal. and 35 Whelen barrels are very accurate. The .223 barrel has not yet been fired.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

My longest woodchuck kill was 503 yards with my 25-06! Answer your question? ...
Old 05-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Agshooter

Is the hinge pin drop in or require some massaging? Thanks -
The oversized hinge pins require slightly more than "massaging" to get them in and out, but they sure tighten up the barrel/frame fit.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

www.eabco.com Excellent work at reasonable prices.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

The oversized hinge pins require slightly more than "massaging" to get them in and out, but they sure tighten up the barrel/frame fit.
A trigger job will help with accuracy also,I have mine down to 2.5 lb...
Old 05-07-2007, 08:18 AM
bigcountry

The hinge pin helps greatly, but you might have to have a gunsmith mill out the hole in the reciever and hole in the barrel to match the pin. I did and my groups of my 204 went from 2MOA to 0.7MOA. Along with pillar bedding the forearm. The pin should have to be tapped in lightly with a punch. If you were like me and can shake it out of the reciever, then its way too loose.

Also, any new barrel you get, you might have to have it milled out a few mil to match the pin. The slop in these T/C's these days are pretty bad. Some get lucky.

I have went all the way with my encore, and if I had it to do over again, I would have got bolts. But it shoots well. Also, I would think twice about a 204 in encore. Encore doesn't make a great varmit rig. Especially for secondary shots.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:39 AM

thanks guys, i have several bolt rifles & am looking for something a little different. I really like Ruger No 1's, but they are pricey & are not flexible with caliber as a T/C is. I appreciate everyone's input.

Quick Reply: Who can make a T/C shoot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.