Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Browning, Tikka or Sako in .338 Win Mag?? >

Browning, Tikka or Sako in .338 Win Mag??

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Browning, Tikka or Sako in .338 Win Mag??

Old 03-31-2007, 08:39 AM
RDJ
Spike

Default Browning, Tikka or Sako in .338 Win Mag??

I am finally getting down to business about buying a .338 win mag. I am defintely choosing a stainless synthetic instead of wood for this rifle. I am trying to decide between a Browning A-Bolt, Tikka or Sako. Cost is not really a factor, I am just trying to decide which would be more accuracte in a .338. I currently have a Browning A-Bolt in 7mm which has great accuracy. Also, I noticed the Tikka is quite light in this calibre.......less than 7 pounds in fact, which I assume could result in a significant kick from the .338. Then there is the Sako. I looked at one of the new Sako 85's the other day and am not sure if I like the new look?? Besides, the store didn't have the Sako 85's in .338 win mag yet....and no Sako 75's left.

In all honesty, I would prefer to go with the Browning, since I am so familiar with it already, but since the .338 win mag is not known for the pinpoint accuracy of say a .270 WSM, I was thinking the Sako or Tikkamay give me the advantage from an accuracy standpoint.

Another thought that went through my head was, go with the Browning, and if the accuracy isn't quite there, spend a few hundred bucks at the gunsmith for fine tuning.The price may end up being the same, but I get the rifle I'm comfortable with.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:18 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Browning, Tikka or Sako in .338 Win Mag??

Sako or Browning. Sako's are about twice as expensive however.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:32 PM
Typical Buck

I dont know about your neck of the woods but around here the Sako M75's are being discounted a couple of hundred dollars, the wood/blued versions are going at $800 and change while the synthetic/stainless ones are just under $1000. I would rate them the best of the 3. Now finding one in 338 Win might take a little foot work.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am on my second Sako and would buy an 85 if I had the need. I see they have controlled round feed... that is important to some, depending on whether or not the critter hunts back. Some tote 338's for that. Also, since I am in various climates it is important to me to periodically take everything apart and clean/lube as needed. Can't do that with browning bolts, unless they have changed that aspect.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

My vote would be for the Sako 75 although I still haven’t looked at the 85 yet. I was surprised on how the 75’s keep coming up for sale around here at discount prices but as previously mentioned the 338 Mag might be hard to find...
Old 04-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would have no hesitation in choosing the sako.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:32 PM

Tikka is a SAKO just a cheaper model. The best of the three is definately the SAKO 75then the SAKO Tikka version. Could not give me the browning. Well guess they could then I would just trade it in on the SAKO.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Sako and a Tikka and have owned a couple of .338's in the Browning also. All excellent choices and shooters. I would caution on the Tikka in .338 if you're looking at the T3 which is quite light for that round. Buy whichever fits you best when you snap it up while wearing your hunting clothes, not just a T shirt.
And the Sako and Tikka while both owned by the same company are "NOT" the same rifles at all. Totally different stocks, actions and triggers. They share the same barrels though.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to throw my vote in for browning a-bolt.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, the Sako is the best of the bunch. I like Tikka's o.k., but they are not nearly the gun Sako's are. BTW, I have both. I did check out the Sako 85's and found them to be very nice. I am partial to my 75 though.

Quick Reply: Browning, Tikka or Sako in .338 Win Mag??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.