Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 24INCH BARREL, ANY GOOD FOR DOVES EXT. >

24INCH BARREL, ANY GOOD FOR DOVES EXT.

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

24INCH BARREL, ANY GOOD FOR DOVES EXT.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default 24INCH BARREL, ANY GOOD FOR DOVES EXT.

OK GUYS I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT A GUN THE BENELLI SBE2 BUT WAS NOT IMPRESSED SO YESTERDAY I SEE THIS BERETTA XTREMA2 TURKEY GUN AND I FELL IN LOVE THE GUN FEELS NICE AND HAS A NICE SWING TO IT AND ITS CHAMBERED IN 2 AND 3/4 TO 3 AND A HALF INCH SHELLS

NOW THE PROBLEM , IT HAS A 24 INCH BARREL
I WANT THIS GUN TO HUNT MAINLY DOVES AND 2 WEEKS A YEAR TURKEY IS THE 24 INCH BARREL GOOD FOR DOVES?? DUCKS?
DOES THAT 2 INCHES MAKE THAT MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE
I WOULDBUY THE 26INCH BUT THE SPECIAL PRICE 888.88 $ IS ONLY ON THE 24
BERETTA HAS A LIST PRICE OF 1200 ON THERE WEB SITE
THE MAN AT BASSPRO SAID THE BARREL IS AN EXCELLENT AT 24 INCHES FOR DOVE AND TURKEY

NOW THIS GUN COMES IN AT 500$ LESS THEN THE BENELLI

THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS ,
JIM
Old 03-24-2007, 01:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 24INCH BARREL, ANY GOOD FOR DOVES EXT.

I'm gonna go out on a limb an say.....Buy what feels best to you. I personally have a few shotguns (all Benellis) that I will shoot against almost anyone, whether sporting clays, trap, actual game, etc, and outshoot most anyone. I have 24" barrels on all my 12 gauges (M1 Super 90 and M2) and I do have one 26" barrel on my Benelli Montefeltro.

If it fits you, get it. Shoot it, and enjoy it. In the current production loads, the powder is all burned in 18", and if you have good form and follow thru, barrel length will not affect you in one bit.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO a 24" barrel is the best all around barrel length it will be fine for anything you want to hunt besides the lighter weight of a shorter barrel swings better in my opinion also. besides shotshells obtain there maximum velocity within the first 6 inches of the barrel with that said if you are worried about velocity? the answer is DON'T!! the only thing really effected by barrel length could be shot string but im assuming it has interchangable chokes so don't worry about that either. get your gun and enjoy it!!
Old 03-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

IMO a 24" barrel is the best all around barrel length it will be fine for anything you want to hunt besides the lighter weight of a shorter barrel swings better in my opinion also. besides shotshells obtain there maximum velocity within the first 6 inches of the barrel with that said if you are worried about velocity? the answer is DON'T!! the only thing really effected by barrel length could be shot string but im assuming it has interchangable chokes so don't worry about that either. get your gun and enjoy it!!
I agree that a 24" barrel is the best all around, but I would not trade my Benelli M1 Super 90 with a 21" barrel for anything. Barrel length is a personal preference thing more than a performance thing. Shoot what make you comfortable.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:08 PM
bigcountry

Turkeys 24" is where its at. But who needs a semi for turkeys? Longer the barrel, sometimes easier to get on doves. 28" barrel does make a difference on getting on a duck, doves, or anything fast and furious. Espeically skeet or trap. If it was me, I would buy myself a nice camo pump with 24" barrel for turkey, and then buy a nice 3" semi for doves, duck, and skeet with a 28" barrel.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

The "best all around" barrel is the one you are used to shooting and more importantly, the one affixed to a gun that fits you properly and that you shoot well. If you are used to looking down a 28" pipe, than stick with 28". If you did well with a 24", than by all means...

The velocity difference in a 24 and a 28 is slight, but for practical purposes negligable. If you like the gun, then go get her!
Old 03-26-2007, 11:15 AM

I've got the extrema 2 with a 26" barrel, but the 24" is fine. Honestly todays chokes make up for the difference in barrel lenghts anyways. Excellent gun though, you will be happy with it.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:51 PM

I have the Beretta Al390 Silver Mallard with 24" barrel and it will do anything the 26 or 28 inch will, it has the mobile choke system
Old 04-26-2007, 08:23 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

If you are used to looking down a 28" pipe, than stick with 28". If you did well with a 24", than by all means...
Very true! I have a better sight plane and pointabilitywith 28" for Quailand 30'' for Doves and Ducks.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

Barrel length today is all abut the feel and swing of the gun. Barrel length has nothing to do with patterns, that is controlled by the choke and to some extent the bore diameter. Most people prefer a longer barrel for doves but, use what feels the best to you. The Xtrema has a rotary bolt face which makes it on the longer side. A 24" barrel on an Xtrema will be closer to a 26" barrel on most non rotary bolt face guns for over all length.

Quick Reply: 24INCH BARREL, ANY GOOD FOR DOVES EXT.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.