Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Benelli SBE II and 2 3/4 target loads? >

Benelli SBE II and 2 3/4 target loads?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Benelli SBE II and 2 3/4 target loads?

Old 03-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Benelli SBE II and 2 3/4 target loads?

Unless you absolutely have to shoot 3.5" shells, I would go with a Benelli Super 90. I have had one since 1995 and have shot THOUSANDS of rounds through it without a hiccup. Several years ago, I got heavy into skeet and sporting clays and loaded the lightest 7/8 oz loads that I could due to volume shooting, and they cycled fine in my gun. I have friends that shoot Super Black Eagles and love them, but some SBE's are a little finicky on light loads. My Super 90 will cycle anything from 3" magnum buckshot to super light 7/8 oz target loads.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

Unless you absolutely have to shoot 3.5" shells, I would go with a Benelli Super 90. I have had one since 1995 and have shot THOUSANDS of rounds through it without a hiccup. Several years ago, I got heavy into skeet and sporting clays and loaded the lightest 7/8 oz loads that I could due to volume shooting, and they cycled fine in my gun. I have friends that shoot Super Black Eagles and love them, but some SBE's are a little finicky on light loads. My Super 90 will cycle anything from 3" magnum buckshot to super light 7/8 oz target loads.

x2 what he said. No use for a 3.5" unless you are plannin on shooting some long range Turkeys. Stell 3.5" gives no advantage over 3"

Old 03-10-2007, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would like to add that I prefer the older M1 Super 90 and SBE's over the M2 and SBEII's. All of my Benellis are H&K imports and will take a 4th shell while plugged. This is just a personal preference, but I thought I would mention it.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:27 AM

Why would you want to put four in when it's plugged for three? The ones made after H&K can also have a forth slipped under the bolt, it wasn't until the last half of the SBE run that Benelli "fixed" it so only three would fit.

Doug
Old 03-14-2007, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Doug S

Why would you want to put four in when it's plugged for three? The ones made after H&K can also have a forth slipped under the bolt, it wasn't until the last half of the SBE run that Benelli "fixed" it so only three would fit.

Doug
Doug
You appear to be more experienced with the "4th shell" guns than me, which surprises me that you would ask why. My answer to that is why not? I am not a big waterfowler, but I don't understand plugging a shotgun anyway. As long as I don't shoot over the limit, why not allow an extended magazine? Waterfowl laws are the main reason that I am not more into it. I hunted waterfowl alot as a kid when lead shot was legal and the "point system" was still in effect, but there are too many "rules" in that game today for me. I actually have private access to several miles of river in NW Oklahoma right next to a refuge, and the duck and geese are THICK! My Dad, brother, and youngest son go quite often and kill a limit every time, but it is just not my cup of tea.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

UPDATE!
My son's SBE came in yesterday, and I tried it this morning. I want to note that it is a "used" gun, but I am not sure how much. I tried some 3 3/4 dram high brass shells that cycled fine, but the 3 1/4 dram 7/8 oz "target loads" would not cycle at all. That was all the ammo that I had handy, but I intend to try a wider range of ammo to see exactly where the gun quits functioning.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:42 PM

Retrieverman,

You are right, I do have alot of Benelli experience, I've had an SBE since they first came out,and a Supersport II-(recently sold that one to someone who wanted it more than me). My original SBE is my main 5stand gun and on Sunday mornings we practice what we call 'lightning rounds". The machine ordersare prearranged and and once the first stand shoots, the puller just keeps fireing the machines in order, the shooters just keep shooting in turnuntil their guns are empty-tons of fun and really fast action. I found the SBE a little light so I handloaded two shells full of just shot and inserted them infront of the mag spring which I shortened, effectively I permanently plugged it for three rounds but added 6oz. to the gun-(I also use it with buckshot for deer and 3's our limit). But for lightning rounds I often sneak in the forth so as to get the last shot in.

Like you, I have not shot waterfoul since lead shot went out and the rest of the regs went nuts. I play by the rules and if I don't like the rules i just don't play.

edit: Are you familliar with the bolt spring tube in the Stock? You might want to take that apart and clean it out real well(I run it almost dry). If someone over lubed it or put the wrong stuff in there it will mess up with light loads. That load you mentioned should work. There is an aftermarket stainless one you can install that is suposed to be better but I have not seen the need. Mine cycles 1oz/3dram loads fine so dropping down to 7/8's and up 1/4 dram should still be OK, or very close to it.

Doug
Old 03-14-2007, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Doug
It may be an ammo problem. This afternoon I tried the 3 1/4 dram in my Super 90, and it wouldn't cycle in it either. I am going to try some Remington Premiers tomorrow and see if the SBE will cycle them.

I was against my son buying the SBE, but it was mostly his money (I had to front him some). He did get a "good deal" on it though. The gun is camo and has some "rub marks", but it is smooth as glass when you manually work the bolt.

I have had a stainless Sure Cycle tube in my Super 90 for years. I installed it after having to work on my cousin's Super 90 with a rusted up, gummed up cycle tube. I figured I would change mine before I had a problem.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:12 PM

Ahh, I see you know about them and Benelli's. I always liked the Super 90's, main reason I went with the SBE was the 3.5" buckshot I could use. With buckshot, more is definately better and after cutting the forcing cone and a bunch of patterning, this SBE is outstanding with buckshot. I bought that Supersport IIused but in "as-new" condition for 800.00, some guy at my range shot it and fell in love with it so I sold it to him for a small profit, it was a nice gun but I have enough autos.

If you don't mind, what is a used SBE going for these days? (not that I'm gonna part with mine)

Also, have you ever shot a Montefeltro, 20guage?

Doug
Old 03-14-2007, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Doug
Have you tried a PatternMaster choke with buckshot? I used a modified for years, but I have tightened my pattern a considerably using a PatternMaster. I LOVE buckshot and have killed quite a few deer using it, but I am mainly a rifle-man.

I owned a Montefeltro 20 ga several years ago, but I didn't keep it long. I shot a few rounds of skeet, but like you, I found someone that wanted it more than me. I used to be a hard core gun trader and have owned 9 Benellis including a couple of Sports, but the SBE that my son has is the first one ever in my safe. I have owned 13 Beretta O/U's, and my Dad keeps the one that I have now. It is a english stocked model Onyx. My Dad wants to buy or trade for it, but I am keeping this one. I still do some buying and selling, but I am more into Blaser rifles right now. At $2000-3000 per gun, I have my "play" money pretty well tied up.

My son found the SBE on Gunbroker, and it was a pretty good deal. We gave $780 shipped. Most are running at $900+/- for a black gun on the used market. My son's is a "newer" BenelliUSA camo model.

Quick Reply: Benelli SBE II and 2 3/4 target loads?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.