Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 First real rifle - mostly for deer, What would you get? >

First real rifle - mostly for deer, What would you get?

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

First real rifle - mostly for deer, What would you get?

Old 02-24-2007, 11:49 PM

Default First real rifle - mostly for deer, What would you get?

Hi all! First, thanks to everyone in this form, I've always got such great help here!

I'm looking for myfirst real rifle, probably mostly for deer. I understand there are many different calibers to choose from so I figured this would be the best place to start. I've been enjoying my .22 Savage, but I'd like to get a real rifle now.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: First real rifle - mostly for dear, What would you get?

Try a Ruger, Remington, Wichester, Sako etc...they make real rifles! For a dear rifle I would use a light recoiling caliber such as a 6.5x55, 243 win, 25-06 and for deer, I would opt for 30-06, 270 win..
Old 02-25-2007, 03:45 AM
Typical Buck

270 or 30-06.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tell us a price range if you don't mind, may help because there are a lot of rifles out there.

If it was me I would go with a Remington 700 on a mild budget or a Kimber 8400 not on a budget.

Caliber for deer.. 243, 25.06, 7-08, 270, 30.06... depends on what else you want the rifle for and what type of hunting you will be primarily doing.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I sure hope you are after DEER and not DEAR. Caliber wise, I'd agree with the others. A mild recoiler such as the 25/06 would be super. Select a rifle based on: budget, fit and feel, reliability and, by all means, get one that has (or can be made to have) a decent trigger. Then go practice alot. Good Luck.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Serrinon

Hi all! First, thanks to everyone in this form, I've always got such great help here!

I'm looking for myfirst real rifle, probably mostly for dear. I understand there are many different calibers to choose from so I figured this would be the best place to start. I've been enjoying my .22 Savage, but I'd like to get a real rifle now.
"Probably" mostly for deer? No offense but it sounds like you are pretty young but maybe mature enough to handle a magnum. You could start out with maybe a 7mm-08 or a .277. The next choice would be the famed 30-06 which you cannot go wrong with. Up from there you have the 7mm Rem Mag and .300 Win Mag. Keep in mind also, you can get a WSM in any of these versions. Then of course there is the .338 Federal or Win Mag which will kill anything deader then dead. Up from that is the Promethius to hunt Bin Laden.

Good luck!
Old 02-25-2007, 07:47 AM

That reminds me, I wonder if you did get Bin Laden would they let you keep the head to stuff and mount on your wall next to yer deer? That would be a pretty cool trophy don't you think?!
Old 02-25-2007, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let me add the Tikka T3 to the mix chambered in any of the aforementioned calibers.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

on a budget look at a savage 111. maybe like a 270 or 308 caliber.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it was my first , I would get a Ruger M77 in a .270 any learn how to shoot it. That rifle and calibur will serve you for 100 years. I know there are many other choices but that one will do it all in NA.

Quick Reply: First real rifle - mostly for deer, What would you get?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.