Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Which handgun?

Old 01-20-2007, 08:07 PM

Default RE: Which handgun?

Don't get me wrong, I like both. The 29 was much nicer to carry, the trigger was fantastic in both single and double action, and it just felt better in my hand. But a 29 just can't handle the abuse thataRedhawk can.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

Head0001,
I will agree with you that, on average, the Smith will out shoot the Ruger. But for hunting purposes and at the ranges that these handguns are used the difference is negligable. I was on the Air Force Markmanship team and we used Smith revolvers. Very accurate and will shoot all day with light loads but you start shooting many hottter loads and they work loose. I have replaced many parts in my Smiths but then I used to shoot LOTS of ammo every week. I think that Smith has really improved over the years tough as far as durability goes.

The best advise to someone looking to get into handgun hunting is to see if anyone has the different models for you to try. The recoil is much different in these two revolvers. The Smith slaps the crap out of you whereas the Ruger sort of rolls in the hand when it recoils. Not that big of deal on the lighter loads but with my 300 gr hand loads it can get a little much in the Smith. I have several hunting handguns up to a .444 Marlin 10 inch T/C and my Model 29's are the hardest on the hand. This can be cured with a shooting glove so its not that big of deal. I would rather do an extended session with my Freedom Arms .454 than the .44 mag Smith. But it does take lots of practice to shoot the big bore handguns with consistent accuracy.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

629 with the 8" barrel
Old 03-05-2007, 08:03 PM
c j
Typical Buck

Thanks for the input, guys. I appreciate it.

I know the Rugers have a reputation for being well-built and quite a bit stronger than most other revolvers, but do they also have the same reputation for having heavy triggers like the rifles do?* And if so, is it just the double-action use that's heavy or is the single action of the SBH a tough pull, too?

(*Not knocking Ruger triggers; just stating the reputation, whether it's still deserved or not.The triggers on my own Ruger rifles have covered the whole spectrum; my oldest had a terrible trigger before the gunsmith worked his magic, but I like the 77 Target model triggers and the last 77 mk II stainless I bought had an exceptional trigger right out of the box.)
Old 03-14-2007, 10:13 AM

i would go with a s&w .44 mag i have one with a 6.5in barral and a aimpoint red dot scope its awsome
Old 03-20-2007, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

S&W model 50
Old 03-21-2007, 07:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Having owned several of each brand, when it comes to strength and durability the Ruger is the hands down winner. Accuracy depends more on each individual gun than the brand and both are capable of fine accuracy. I would go with the Ruger if I only had one. Trigger jobs are pretty cheap if you need one and when its done you have best of all worlds.

Just to carry for emergency or for target shooting with light loads, the S&W would get my vote. I like both revolvers very much but give me the Ruger when I need a TANK of a handgun.

My hunting 44 is a Ruger SBH Bisley Hunter with a Nikon 2X scope. My carry 44 is the Taurus Ultra-lite with a 4 inch barrel. 28 OZ. I really love this gun
Old 03-21-2007, 05:51 PM
Spike

The only issue with the Ruger Revolvers are the cylinder throats. Get them reamed to .0005 to .001" over groove size of the barrel and play with the trigger to your fancy and your great grandkids will still be shooting it. To lighten double action pull for teeth and claw hunting, may result in a misfire and you may become lunch. Learn to use the cards dealt you on this for emergencies real or perceived. For non dangerous hunting such as whitetails, etc., the single action is the foolproof way to go.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a couple ofRedhawks andtwo SRH.Excellent guns.Both of my SRH'sare in 454 Casull.One istheAlaskan w/ashort 2 1/2" barrel which can be a handful.Depending what you're really looking for.The Smith is lighter,might have a very slight edge on accuracy if anyand is easier to carry all day.If you're looking for a gun that will withstand constantuse of heavy loads ,the Ruger beats the Smith hands down.The Smith will loosen up as mentioned.The Ruger has to be one of thestrongest revolver made.To me there is no comparison between the Smith and Ruger when it comes to durability.The Taurus Raging Bull could be another possibilty. They don't interest me.For Single Actions Ruger again unless you have big bucks for the Freedom Arms.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 04-04-2007, 11:17 AM

I have the Smith 629 Classic in .44. Ported barrel helps with the recoil, even with heavy loads it's not that bad. Gun is a great shooter, has taken a bear and more a few whitails with no problem at all.

Quick Reply: Which handgun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.