Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

7mm-08

Old 01-03-2007, 09:04 AM
Typical Buck

Default 7mm-08

Does anyone have any field experience with this round. How well does it penetrate? Up to what distance is it reliable? Up to what size game is it usefull for? My local wal mart has a Ruger on sale in this caliber and I had questions. I checked Chuck Hawks information and was veryimpressed by it's low recoil and long range drop rate. Any real field input out there?
Old 01-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 7mm-08

The 7mm08 is ballistically similar to the 7 x 57, which has been used effectively worldwide for game as large as elephants...

Realistically however, it excells on deer sized game out to 350 yards or so... With well constructed of bullets of 140 to 175 grains, it is adequate for non dangerous game as large as elk and moose within reasonable range, and of course with proper shot placement..

Many consider it a nearly PERFECT deer cartridge when loaded with 120-140 grain bullets ....

It's been my favorite whitetail cartridge for several years...As far as ability to hit and kill game, it runs neck and neck with suchold standbysas the .270 Win, .280 rem, .308 and 30-06, with less muzzle blast and recoil...
Old 01-03-2007, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used a 7mm08 for years and have several of them. It performs all out of proportion of it's size and is EXTREMELY accurate. ALL of my kills with it was instant or near instant kills. I use nosler 120 or 140 gr ballistic tips for deer sized game.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Excellent deer cartridge!
Old 01-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

Great deer cartridge, maybe even the best deer cartridge.

I've taken a couple of elk with it, too. Dropped them just as fast as the deer.

Super-accurate, minimal recoil and excellent terminal performance on medium-size game make it one of the finest centerfire rifle cartridges on Earth. You'll be extremely happy with it!
Old 01-03-2007, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

what they said ,yep
Old 01-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I own 3 of them,a Remington Model Seven for deer,Savage116 for long-range woodchuck hunting and a T/C Encore 15" "hand-cannon"...

Check out this site, http://members.tripod.com/sed88/rem7/
Old 01-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Until deer start jumping on the grill when I say please, you will never convince me that there is a better, more balanced, more suited cartridge for whitetails and related game then the 7-08.

I own two currently. One Rem 700 and on TC Encore. Love both of them.

Have shot a good number of deer with them. Never had one go far. Only one went over 70 yards and that was a botched shot on my part. Recoil is similar for all practical purposes to a .243. At least, out of the same rifle, I can't tell the difference. After all they are the same case, one just has a bit larger bullet than the other.

I have spoken with a few people who have used them with good success on elk and caribou. A good friend took his on safari in Africa and took a Gemsbok with it, although it took three shots in the boiler room before the animal even flinched. It bolted 15 yards and fell dead. All three shots were able to be covered with a post-it note. He thought he had missed the first two. African game is tougher, I digress.

Fantastic round. You can't lose.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had mine two years now. Five deer. No chases. I seriously doubt if I will ever go back to anything else for deer-sized game. I'm lovin' it!!
Old 01-03-2007, 06:28 PM

My all time favorite deer cartridge! I have a Weatherby Mk5 with a 20 inch barrel. I handloaded and shot deer with speer 130s and Barnes 120 tsx. Ive also shot them with Hornady lite magnums, It is just a plain and simple fine deer round. Ive got plans for one of the new ruger hawkeye with a blue finish and walnut stock as soon as i can get it past the bride.
Oh yea there is also a NEF youth model in the cabinet for my 3 year old grandson as soon as he is old enoph.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.