Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Stevens 200

Old 01-24-2007, 06:10 AM

Default RE: Stevens 200

Just bought one based on a lot of recommendations shownthrough research. I purchased from a friend who has a license and ordered it for me. I ordered a 22-250 with a adjustable trigger replacement. The friend replaced the trigger, installed and set it, mounted bases and rings, mounted a scope which I supplied, installed scope, relocated a ring on thebolt assembly (this isa thing he does to assure the lubricant stays where it's supposed to be and comes from many years of experience with being a gunsmith and a competition shooter)and bore sighted it. My total out the door was $485. The 200 comes with a bedded barrel and you can change the barrel out. I am awaiting shipment of supplies from Midway USA to begin the barrel break-in procedure. I'll let you know how it shots after I have time to break it in.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:09 PM

I picked up the Stevens 200 in a .223 at Gander Mountain for $279.00. After mounting a scope with Talley One Piece Rings, and a Scope that I already had collecting dust, I think I have about 325.00 in it. Great little firearm. The only drawback is the stock could use a little more finishing. I sanded off the seams where the stock was molded and sprayed it with Krylon O.D. Green. The trigger can be adjusted for a slightly lighter pull, but don't got to light, it could slam fire if you are not carefull. I would put this gun up against my A-Bolt or Rem. 700 anyday.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a Stevens 200 in 243 last summer. Topped it with a Tasco 4X12X40mm scope, Millet rings on Weaver bases. Using Hornady100gr SP reloads.

It works for me!

Ron
Old 01-28-2007, 10:11 PM
Fork Horn

rdbuck thats what I amtalking about did you have less fun on that hunt because you were not shooting a kimber rifle. I doubt it. I have a .223 in the m 200 I want one in 25-06 and .22-250.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:47 PM

Well, finally made it out with mine I just got in 7mm-08. Only ammo available at the time was Federal's Fusions, I was tagging 1.4" groups @ 100 yds. This may be just a matter of she no likie Fusions, though. Gonna reload some SST's over H414 to see if that works out better. So far though, for a factory rifle at low cost, I'm pretty happy.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:15 PM

Bought one in a .22-250 for my little boy. I was looking for something cheap because i had to cut the stock down. I was really suprised with this gun it shoots great. Since then my father also purchased one. The only trouble with them is the trigger. They have some adjustment but not alot. Great gun for the money
Old 02-18-2007, 04:55 PM

I have one in .223, and very much like it. I did adjust the trigger to near its safe limits.....not too bad. Heavy, but crisp. I understand that a few guys have put Timneys on theirs.
As for groups.....3 holes touch at 100 yards off a bench. So, any misses in the field can't be blamed no my gun! bummer
Old 02-26-2007, 05:50 AM
Spike

I finally registered to this forum after being a spectator for awhile. I purchased aStevensmyself, in .243, just a couple of weeks ago. I've got a 3-9x40 Monarch on the way, so I haven't shot it yet. I was just wondering if we could get some more accuracy reports from owners. I'd like to know what to expect when I do finally get around to shooting mine. Hopefully, they follow in line with other Savage rifles. My only worry when buying the gun was that maybe it was an excuse for Savage to use some of their parts(barrels) that weren't quite up to snuff. I'd really like to get around MOA with factory ammo, as I've done previously with Savage. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:05 AM

ORIGINAL: jason miller

I finally registered to this forum after being a spectator for awhile. I purchased aStevensmyself, in .243, just a couple of weeks ago. I've got a 3-9x40 Monarch on the way, so I haven't shot it yet. I was just wondering if we could get some more accuracy reports from owners. I'd like to know what to expect when I do finally get around to shooting mine. Hopefully, they follow in line with other Savage rifles. My only worry when buying the gun was that maybe it was an excuse for Savage to use some of their parts(barrels) that weren't quite up to snuff. I'd really like to get around MOA with factory ammo, as I've done previously with Savage. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Welcome aboard Jason.
Your not THE Jason "Mayhem" Miller, of UFC fame, are you??
Anyway, accuracy is amazing with my Stevens 200! Like I stated before, I can get 3 holes to touch at 100yrds. Off the bench, of course, and with handloads.
I will be shooting at or near that range, so I didn't shoot to 200 yrds yet, but may for the fun of it.
From what I undersand, when Savage started making their newer model rifles and the Accutrigger, they donated the old Model 110 machinery to their Stevens line. So the 200 is basically the Savage 110.....new.
Not old Savage parts or rejects.
I also understand that some guys have put Timney triggers in their 200s.
Which I might like, since I like the Timneys over the Accutrigger. The Accutriggers are very nice, and very adjustable, I just don't like the Glock-like blade. Just preference.
I too am looking to buy the Stevens 200 in .243. I like mine that much.
Good luck.
Victor
Old 02-26-2007, 07:09 AM

Well, with handloads, I am now getting below.75 MOA w/ a muzzle vel. of between 2865-2890. It appears to like the 139gr SST's moreso than a few others I've tried.
Factory ammo settled down a bit after retightening the stock screws from 1.4" to about 1.1".

Quick Reply: Stevens 200

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.