Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

New .17 cal. Rem.?

Old 12-26-2006, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New .17 cal. Rem.?

Is Remington coming out with a new .17 cal. rifle? I've heard one is or has come out based on the .221 Rem. Fireball casing. Sounds very interesting. Anyone know?
Old 12-26-2006, 06:19 PM

Default RE: New .17 cal. Rem.?

actually No, the .17 Rem has been around for a while, its just never been really popular. I just read an article in a magazine about it and it's a nice little round, with certain loads it shoots over 4000fps. It's a centerfire not rimfire.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MarineStud

actually No, the .17 Rem has been around for a while, its just never been really popular. I just read an article in a magazine about it and it's a nice little round, with certain loads it shoots over 4000fps. It's a centerfire not rimfire.
The .17 Rem has been around for a long while, but the .17 that our KeystoneWildfella is referring to is called the .17 Remington Fireball, and yes, it is more or less new for '07.

However, Remington did not create this round, it is acctually not a new cartridge at all. It is acctuallyolder than the .17 Rem. A company out of Las Vegas came up with this baby back in the 50's or 60's. POAckley was a huge fan of it. It was originally called the .17 Mach IV. Rem is more or less "legitamizing" this wildcat, and releasing it under the name .17 Rem Fireball. Since it is little more than a .221 Fireball, necked to .17cal.

I suppose that rem is going to make some rifles for it as well, since there aren't too many floating around in .17 M4. I was fixin' to get a TC Encore barrel made in the caliber, when Rem decided to start commercially loading it. How cool huh? So much for being different.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:52 PM

Alright, let me clear something up. I know the 17 remington is an old "never-got-popular" round. Its a crazy-fast centerfire that's pretty specialized for bobcat/yote/fox/rabbit size stuff. (Saw a clip online of a bobcat bang-flop. I mean bang-"FLOP". No exit and I couldn't see the entry in the picture of the hide even with them pointing to it.) Now there's another remodelled 17 centerfire called the 17 fireball which is really the ole 17machIV?

What's it got over the 17rem? This MachIV/Fireball round is shorter but with a 30' shoulder and less taper (hmmm....no wonder Ackley liked it[&:]) But just from eye-balling the dimensions on stevespages.com it doesn't have more case capacity. Sooooo, is it just more reloader friendly? I would think Remington would be better off to rename and re-push the 17Rem. I'll be sure to put that on my list of things to tell them next time they call.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.predatorxtreme.com/articles.asp?ArticleID=68

Good write up on the new .17 FB as it relates to everything else. As well as its lineage.

Rem is no doubt trying to follow ruger, as Ruger put out their wildly successful .204, Rem is hoping that some of the same crowd that went for the .17 rimfires and .204s will go for the centerfire .17s also.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:58 AM
Dominant Buck

New cartridges
Old 12-27-2006, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

17 Rem is fun to shoot! I will say that much for it...got to shoot several rounds from one of those and a 204 the same day. Fun...but I still wouldnt buy one..lol.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

As much as this new round looks intriguing I’m not getting anything smaller then a 22 caliber. Never liked cleaning my rifle in a .17HMR...[:@]