Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 trading for a savage rifle >

trading for a savage rifle

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

trading for a savage rifle

Old 12-25-2006, 02:14 PM

Default trading for a savage rifle

heyhappy holidays everyone!here is my little problem though..
my uncle just got a savage 243 today and it felt really nice and shot great this afternoon so i was thinking about getting one in a 223 for a coyote/target gun

i have a howa model 1500 .223laminate thumb hole stock with a stainless steel barrel that has been sitting in my gun case for about 2 years barely used. the gun looks brand new but im going to trade it in on this savage because it see's no use because of how heavy it is. i was looking at buying a savage package 11FXP3 in a 223

now the gun is listed at a little over $500 but what do you think the ball park price on it will be if i trade the howa in for it? i have about $200 i can spend on the gun. i know i wont get a great pice on the howa but will trading it in bring the savage into my price range?

thanks
Old 12-25-2006, 02:19 PM

Default RE: trading for a savage rifle

ORIGINAL: killer243

heyhappy holidays everyone!here is my little problem though..
my uncle just got a savage 243 today and it felt really nice and shot great this afternoon so i was thinking about getting one in a 223 for a coyote/target gun

i have a howa model 1500 .223laminate thumb hole stock with a stainless steel barrel that has been sitting in my gun case for about 2 years barely used. the gun looks brand new but im going to trade it in on this savage because it see's no use because of how heavy it is. i was looking at buying a savage package 11FXP3 in a 223

now the gun is listed at a little over $500 but what do you think the ball park price on it will be if i trade the howa in for it? i have about $200 i can spend on the gun. i know i wont get a great pice on the howa but will trading it in bring the savage into my price range?

thanks
I would almost guarantee the HOWA would bring that Savage into your oprice range.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

No kidding. That Howa is a quality firearm and should get you close to being able to buy that Savage. I know what you mean about the weight. I have had 2 shoulder surgeries and struggle with that aspect of hunting every year. Too much weight and packing a rifle gets to be a real pain in the neck, leterally and too little weight and the recoil of even a light kicking gun gives me an instant headache.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:06 PM
Fork Horn

Santa just brought me a 116fhss 30-06. I too looked into the package deal, until I realized that the gun in the deal was internal magazine and I was wanting the hinged floorplate. That and the scope isn't too high a quality, but for the 18 bucks it makes a good .22 scope... I picked up my savage for 496 plus tax
Old 12-25-2006, 10:12 PM

ORIGINAL: rynigner

Santa just brought me a 116fhss 30-06. I too looked into the package deal, until I realized that the gun in the deal was internal magazine and I was wanting the hinged floorplate. That and the scope isn't too high a quality, but for the 18 bucks it makes a good .22 scope... I picked up my savage for 496 plus tax
I was turned away from a Weather Warrior in .338 Win mag, because it had internal box magazine, I hate internal box.[:@]
Old 12-25-2006, 11:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tuk have you ever tried a thumbhole stock. You can take alot of the recoil off your shoulder if you hold the rifle the right way.

The Weather Warrior was designed to be a tough, go any where gun. Hence the internal magazine. You do not have to worry about loosing a magazine. And it can happen. It can even inadvertently fall out. Also I have noticed alot more bullet deformation in a magazine, than in a blind box. Also you can normally seat your bullets longer in a blind box, rather than in a magazine.

I normally like my bullets seated long, so I just put a follower in the box, and shot it single shot. You can not do that with a magazine. WOW it sounds like I do not like magazines(clips). Tom.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:45 PM

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

Tuk have you ever tried a thumbhole stock. You can take alot of the recoil off your shoulder if you hold the rifle the right way.

The Weather Warrior was designed to be a tough, go any where gun. Hence the internal magazine. You do not have to worry about loosing a magazine. And it can happen. It can even inadvertently fall out. Also I have noticed alot more bullet deformation in a magazine, than in a blind box. Also you can normally seat your bullets longer in a blind box, rather than in a magazine.

I normally like my bullets seated long, so I just put a follower in the box, and shot it single shot. You can not do that with a magazine. WOW it sounds like I do not like magazines(clips). Tom.
Thats the beauty of guns, everyone can have their own style, as to what they like and don't like.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:06 AM

thanks i am hoping the HOWA will get me into my price range its a really nice gun but i just have no use for it. most likely ill bring the gun in by this weekend to see what kinda deal i can get

i know the scopes on the package series arnt the best but i bought a 270 savage package maybe 3 or 4 years ago as a back up rifle and the scope has worked fine on it. and where i hunt my farthest shot is maybe 200 yards. so as long as it holds zero ill keep it on there for awhile
Old 12-26-2006, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

The package scope do just what they are supposed to, get you started and hold you over for awhile till you can put a nicer scope on if you choose. To answer the question about whether or not I have tried a thumbhole stock? Nope, not yet. I really just got back into guns a couple of years ago. I found myself hurting a lot after my accident at work and shooting was the last thing that I wanted to do. Before that, I pretty much just thought of my guns as a tool, something to do when bored, but nowdays I have found my guns also being my hobby lol. I may look into a thumbhole stock for my .270 down the road though.