Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 serious T/C Encore question >

serious T/C Encore question

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

serious T/C Encore question

Old 12-19-2006, 04:01 PM

Default serious T/C Encore question

Hey guys,
just ordered a 22-250 in the pro hunter and was all excited about it until i read some of the previous posts on the encore. Some people are not having good luck with them. I ordered this gun for accuracy in groundhog hunting and target shooting. It is topped off with a VX111 6.5x20 40mm, so i have a lot of money invested. Did i make a wrong move by buying this type gun? Does anyone have this gun in this caliber? Please any information will be greatly appreciated. By the way guys I am new and have enjoyed reading all the posts. I have learned a lot.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:34 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: serious T/C Encore question

I have a regular encore in a 204 ruger. Did you make a mistake? Well for groundhogs its ok, but single shots might not be the best if you want to go out west which I plan too in May. It all depends how the guns shoots. I had to do alot of work to mine. Especially the hinge pin, I could push it out with my finger with little to no pressure. Thats too loose. Also I had to put pillars in the forarm to basically take away pressures from the barrel. Now I am pretty happy with it.

Guns of any types vary when it comes to accuracy. No way to know until you recieve it and shoot it with a few different types of ammo.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don’t jump to conclusions until you have it in your hands and shoot it. Also, take BC advise and try different ammo. I made that mistake with mine and sold my barrel before really giving it a chance. Sounds like a good set up, so just go out and shoot it and have fun...[8D]
Old 12-19-2006, 11:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Did i make a wrong move by buying this type gun?
i would say not, i love mine own/have owned 3 tc frames an old contender in 30/30 with a 14" barrel 1st T/C (sold to my dad)

i curently own a dedicated encore frame in a pistol, 7mm-08 w/15" barrel and a fixed 4Xpower leupold scope, 2nd T/C

the other frame started life as a 209X50 front stuffer, i have added three more barrels for this frame, now not to be a wet blanket but here is what i have found on this frame, it is not a barrel changer/shooter, meaning everytime i change barrels my poi moves, not bad/far offbut i always end up re-setting zero, all the barrels shoot great, less than 1" groups @100, and the best result for reducing my poi moving is to be sure and index the hinge pin, (it always go back into the exact same position). and in all farness this may still be something i am not considering. The only other problem with this frame was that the trigger was horrible, i started to do it myself, but decided to send it off, after a trip to mike bellms that took care of that and overall i am happy with mine, although i believe they are a better dedicated cal/than cal changers just from my experience

Old 12-20-2006, 05:27 AM

i would think that a break action gun might not be the best for a varmint rifle especially for a mulitple shot scenario like out west ....having to dismount and open the action to reload would seem like a pain...even with a single shot bolt you wouldnt have to dismount the rifle and completely loose your sight picture .....but then again im no dyed in the wool varmint hunter either. to be honest with you - im biased against this particular tc rifle...only because all the guys on the hunting shows are using them....and nothing irks me more than seeing some guy shoot a nice deer and then look into the camera and go "my tc encore pro hunter put 'em down!!!!" - then they praise god.........lol......i've never had a hunt like that, mine are more like..."SH!~#!$%$ !!!!!, G@!$$%@%^, YEEEEHHHAAWW!!!" it just seems to corny.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:28 AM

I don't know if you are into handloading or not but, I havehad alot of the Pro Hunter barrels chambered for the 22-250 come through here because of "accuracy" issues. I rechamber these barrel to what I call my 22 SUPER PREDATOR, which is based off the full length 307 Winchester case necked down to 22 caliber. The cartridge is basically a "rimmed" 22-250 Ackley Improved and is loaded using those dies. This round matches the ballistics of the 220 Swift and in a break open single shot, the rim aids in accuracy by helping control the headspace. Besides the rechamber,cut a new 11 degree target crown at the muzzle and you'll have one of the better shooting single shots out there....

DAVID
Old 12-20-2006, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ha David: I have read alot about Encore accuracy. I just ordered a 6.5 X 284 barrel for mine. I have read where people like the rimmed casings over non-rimmed because of case extraction. Your post is the first I have seen of accuracy being better because of headspace on the rim. Although most of what I have read about the rimmed cases stated how accurate they were. I have always thought that head space on the shoulder was more accurate than head space on the rim.

Please do not misread my comment. It is obvious to me that you know what you are talking about with single shots. I have followed your posts, and have been impressed with some of your postings. Please explain why headspacing would be more accurate off the rim.

The only drawback to ordering the 6.5 was that extraction may be difficult with the 284 case. I hope I do not have any problems with it. Do you have any comments about extraction? Tom.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:49 AM

Hi Tom,

I build a lot of 1.200" diameter bull barrels for the T/C Encore that are chambered in both the 6mm-284 and 6.5-284 and have never encountered and extraction problems with either one...

For one, I cut my chambers alot tighter at the base than what most gunsmiths do and certainle a lot tighter than the factory cut chambers. In going with a rimmed cartridge, since I have complete control over the depth of the rim cut, I cut the rim counterbore to where there is .003 clearance from the breech face instead of .003 deeper or more that most guys cut from the breech face of the barrel. With the rim not allowing the case to be driven any deeper into the chamber when the firing pin strikes, headspace is held to an absolute minimum SO LONG AS THE ROUND IS NOT OVERLY SIZED AND THE SHOULDER PUSHED BACK TO CREATE EXCESSIVE HEADSPACE!!! Headspace is controlled off the shoulder but the "rim" seems to be most important for controlling it as well as helping keep the case aligned in the chamber...

I did a couple of tests back last summer that involvedusing a barrel I had chambered for the 30-30 Winchester. After developing a load that would shoot consistant 1/2" groups at 100 yardswith a heavy bull barrel, I then set the cases up in the lathe and turned the rims down to form a totally rimless case. With identical loads, these same cases now turned in loads that averaged 3/4" to 1.00"!!! I have performed many tests like this one over the years and in all instances, rimmed cases have proven to be more accurate. I also cut a lot of rim counterbores in the T/C Encore and the H&R single shots. Guys that shoot the 7mm-08 and 308 change over to using 307 Winchester brass, which is basically the same case - except that it has an identical rim to that of the 30-30 Win.. When they change over to the rimmed case, they all report an increase in accuracy....

DAVID
Old 12-20-2006, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

David i see you mention using a 307 in an encore .i all ways
thought that would be a great cal. for an encore ,i have even suggested
it to a freind that was wondering what to get.
my self i prefer the 7mm bullet over the 30 (.308) has any one tryed necking the 307 down to 7mm ? maybe calling it a 7-07.
i know i'd get one , i think it would be great in an encore.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ha Cataway: I believe you are speaking of the 7-30 Waters. This has been a successful factory load in the past for TC. Tom.

Quick Reply: serious T/C Encore question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.