Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

shotgun or muzzleloading

Old 12-12-2006, 06:25 PM

Default shotgun or muzzleloading

If you had to pick one for regulare season what would it be? and whi? (shotgun or muzzleloader)
Old 12-12-2006, 07:49 PM

Default RE: shotgun or muzzleloading

I live in that situation. Where I hunt in Mississippi, a military reservation, the only legal firearms are shotguns and M/Lers. I chose an Encore w/ a 209x50 barrel. With 110 grains of 777 and a 250 grain shockwave it will cleanly take deer to 200 yards.

If I had to make a second choice, I think it would be a 20 gauge semiauto shotgun with a rifled barrel. My kids use this (and a cut down t/c black diamond most of the time) with partition gold sabots. At 100 yards it has solid 2 to 3 inch accuracy and I would feel ok using it to 150 based on the limited shooting we have done with it. If it were my only gun, I think I could practice with it enuff to feel comfortable to 200, maybe, maybe not, only trying would tell.

Hank
Old 12-12-2006, 08:47 PM

I would pick a muzzle loader over a shotgun any day. I'm in the same situation as Ahankster when it comes to rifles. I currentlylive in Indiana and hunt a military reservation some. Though I do hunt off post some and usehandgunswhich I prefer over anything. But if I didn't use handguns, I'd opt for a muzzle loader.
By the way, I'm from Mississippi.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:16 AM

It would really depend on what terrain that I am hunting. If brushy, wooded, tight conditions where quick shots and possibly more than one shot is appropriate, then I would go with the shotgun. If longer shots are available and terrain not so quite dense, then ML.
I primarily hunt in a shotgun/handgun/ML only zone in Minnesota. I have always used a shotgun, but will be using my savage 10ML-II this next year. I have a few spots that offer longer shots, and since I will be using smokeless powder, I can reach out to 250 yards and little farther without a problem.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

My choice would be shotgun and the reason why is muzzleloader isn’t my thing at this time...
Old 12-13-2006, 10:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Shotgun with rifled barrel!
Old 12-13-2006, 09:33 PM
Typical Buck

ml if you are commited to working and cleaning your ml if not shotty i like my black diamond
Old 12-14-2006, 02:28 PM

ORIGINAL: monster10rackstack

ml if you are commited to working and cleaning your ml
Unless you shoot smokeless through a savage 10ML-II, then you can fairly easily achieve excellent accuracy and cleaning is not a big issue.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:50 PM

I have both and have been hunting with both for along time. I use my shotgun in Shotgun season and ML in ML season. My shotgun is a Rem 11 in 3 " mag with a Hastings Rif. Barrell scoped with a burris scope on it. It has been on that gun since 1987 and has taken alot of deer out to 130 yards. While my scope is a long eye releif set up( see the attached ) I enjoy shooting it as it hits where I aim.
My ML is a TC Scout in 50 cal I just got a KNinght Revoultion in 50 cal While I shoot the ML in Season I will always pick my REm 1100 during Firearms Season

Old 12-14-2006, 10:58 PM
Fork Horn

I would go with the muzzleloader. I hunted one yearhere in Wi with a shotgun and I will never do it again (long story). I have 3 muzzleloaders and I love all 3. The cleaning with the new inlines is very easy and with a good load you can shoot 200 yards. As far as follow up shots go muzzleloaders just force you to make the first shot count.

Quick Reply: shotgun or muzzleloading

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service