Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

tikka T3 rifles

Old 09-01-2006, 05:27 PM

Default RE: tikka T3 rifles

I had a T3 in .270 WSM for a short while. Seemed to perform OK on the range as far as accuracy goes. Really had no issues with it until it got wet when I got caught in the stand in a little rain. As the stock got wet, the checkering turned to mush and collapsed. I could make an indentation by just pushing on it with my thumb. Then I noticed that the end of the wood grain back by the buttplate was apparently wicking some moisture into the stock and it looked as though it was raising some splinters away from the wood. It went right back to the gunshop and they readily took it back. Comparing quality to price (ie. value)......there are probably no more Tikkas going in to my gunsafe.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:09 AM

Any new rifle should be proper finished with stock oil and waxes before they are taken out into field.
This no new wisdom, and is recommended everywhere. The manufacturers don't take their time or money to finish their wood stocks.
This is also very important to new Sako and Tikka rifles, even rifles costing 15000$.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I won't own a wood stocked rifle,so I don't have such problems.
Wood is to look at,synthetic is to hunt with.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

I won't own a wood stocked rifle,so I don't have such problems.
Wood is to look at,synthetic is to hunt with.
Amen to that.

I once had a wood stocked Ruger M77 and halfway during our wet season my gun starting printing screwy groups due to the wood stock warping putting pressure on the barrel. No more wood stocked hunting rifles for this guy.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:05 PM

I agree with you Doria. However, in this case I oiled and waxed the Tikka stock the same way I treat all of my guns that have wood. I have a number of shotguns that have been a lot wetter and more often so. None reacted the same as this stock did. I am talking a meltdown almost as soon as it got wet...not after days of sitting wet. Don't know what the deal was. Synthetic is a lot more practical if the weather is iffy.......but I have too many older wood stocked guns to let them just sit around, I'll take them into the field and enjoy them!
Old 09-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

Ok all you tikka shooters I need some info,I just bought my second tikka,the first one in 25/06 I wasn't all that thrilled with it shot good one day and wouldn't shoot good the next.The one I got today is a 308 varmit,was going to mount a burris 6x24x44 scope on it but wouldn't work,so I need to know what rings to get,I looked on the tikka site and they don't swap rings.Would like to get a set like the ones on it if possible.I went ahead and put a buckmaster 3x9x40 on it so I could give it a try today since I had allready loaded up some rounds while I was waiting for it to be shipped.
Cleaned it with 200 strokes of JB"S an went to the range.
Shot several loads that had worked in a friends varmit,at 100 yds I had 3 very good groups(3-shot groups) that measured .250,.432 and .542
At 300 yds the best 2 groups I had was 1.235 and 1.324
I think the rings that come with it are low since it only takes a 40 mil scope so I guess I need the medium??? Appreciate any and all help.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe not what you want to hear,but I like the leupold base and standardleupold ringson Tikka rifles.The base is very strong and you can get leupold rings in a variety of heights.The price is also very reasonable.A much stronger set up than millets,and much cheaper than the optilocs.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Typical Buck

I like the leupold std rings on any of my rifles. Ive seen lesser value rings sell for higher.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Typical Buck

A buddy gave me a set of warne rings this morning allready put them on and a better scope so next week will see what the results are Thanks fellows.Now all I have to do is reload some moreloads to try.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:42 PM

The guy at the gun shop that sold me my T-3, told me that Millet makes the rings that come with the gun. If the ones you have don't work, check out some Millets. They're working well for me right now.

Quick Reply: tikka T3 rifles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.