Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Holosight bumming me out. >

Holosight bumming me out.

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Holosight bumming me out.

Old 05-17-2006, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Holosight bumming me out.

Bought a holosight with a 1 moa reticle. When I fired it up it looked like a firework show with no definition to the reticle at all. Bushnell confirmed a problem and I took it back to the dealer and swapped for another. That reticle also looked quite funny but seemed to warm up???I have it mounted on an 1187 Rem fully rifled barrel and cantilevered. Sighting it in was a nightmare with no clicks so to speak and after forty 2 3/4 slugs the scope shut off. A rap or two on the sight seemed to get it going again but what the Hey!! Also, it seem odd that the windage and elavation knobs have no covers and lord knows I work my guns. Just really looking for some input in general. If I do get another I may pop it on a mini 14. lots less recoil.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Holosight bumming me out.

Can't stand them myself. Check out a plain old red dot system. Two best brands I have are a AIMPOINT with 2moa dot and 2x magnifiction. Also got a Nikon VSD with variable size dot from 1 moa to 10moa , 4 different sizes. Also varying levels of brightness. Both work exactly as claimed,just move the red dot to your target and fire. Got a cross dominance eye problem which the red dots seems to work through.Holosight gave me focusing problems and thing was always shutting off or going dim automatically. For me its scopes for stand hunting and red dots for close in rapid shooting associated with still hunting. Bets of luck with however you work it out.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

You know I had the same problem I went through 3 of them before I demanded my money back (they sure didn't want to part with my money). Any way I got my money back and bought a cheep Tasco red dot and could not be happier I also put it on a Remmington 11-87.
Mike
Old 05-20-2006, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

slug gun theres the problem..... those sights just dont handle recoil very well. Id look at a bushnell trophy red dot or a doctor optics sight they seem to handle recoil alot better. that holosight will work great on a lesser recoiling gun like your mini-14.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:47 PM

Its been my experience for the past 8 years that I have had Total success with my Holosight. Its not mounted on anything large or recoiling like a shotgun, Its only been adhered to a mousey .454 casull for that long, and when it bites it also barks, 300gr hornady XTP's at 1700+FPS can make a scope shake rattle and pop apart. What I like the best about it is that anyone can pick up one of my guns, and as long as they place the dot on the target, squeeze the trigger--target gets a hole the same size as the dot. I remember sighting the .454 in. I used 7 shells, $1.28/shot one does not waste ammo. I put at least 100+ rounds thru it a year. I shoot my 30 rounds a year, and then everyone at the gun range shoots it 5 times. That tests the mettle of any equipment. Sorry I just can not fault the Holosight for any reason other than one, the batteries can't take the punishment. At around 80 shots the batteries are toast. The 454's nickname is Turkeypuffer.. I wonder why?

T. P.

Old 05-27-2006, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do any of the red dots like the Aim point offer a 1 moa Reticle? That was really the reason I went from a 5 moa dot to the 1 moa dot of the Holo-site. The other problem with the Holo-site is there are no caps to cover the windage and elevation adjustmentwhich seems like a weak link that could lead to trouble in the field. Guess it does not matter much as I have a VX1 2x7shotgun scope waiting for me at the old spend the cash shop. A 2X 2 moa Aimpoint does sound interesting. Rock On.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:55 PM
Fork Horn

My Nikon VSD has a adjustable 1 moa dot. Don't know if they still make the 1 moa nikon, all I see in a lot of catalogs now is a 4 moa camo model. The aimpoint is also good but very pricey. They have some new models now and I think some have smaller moa, check it out. Can recomend both ,but then I can also recomendmy cheaper millets etc. Only thing better about the nikon and aimpoint is the smaller MOA. Have them all set up on lever rifles/44 mag and 357.Good luck with whatever you get.