Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

REMINGTON 710

Old 02-10-2006, 11:24 PM

Default REMINGTON 710

what are all of the good and bad things about this gun.
how does it shoot.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: REMINGTON 710

I have fired two 710s ,one in 270win and the other in 30-06.Accuracy was average for a factory rifle but the action was so rough that I had to take the rifle off my shoulder to cycle the bolt.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

welcome mndeer hunter, i have no dealings with a 710,except forholding one,try the search function, there have been several threads on the 710, some love it, some don't, as i said i don't have any field experience with it, best of luck, let us know what you end up with
Old 02-11-2006, 04:51 PM

i own one in a .270 caliber. they are a little rough when you bolt them but they get easier as you go along. they have good accurac. ive killed two deer with mine then had to retire mine since i bought a ruger 7mm mag. my dad still uses the 710 though and he seems to like it pretty well. they are good guns for the money.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

I guess Reminton wanted to manf. a rifle that was less costly and came up with the 710. Years ago they came out with the 788 I assume for the same reason. The 788 wasn't very pretty but most of them shot really well and although not as slick as the 700s, they worked fairly well.
The 710 looks alot like the 788 but doesn't perform as well, at least IMO. I picked a few up and handled them in the local shop and put it right down. These rifles just don't appeal to me at all. I guess they work OK in the field and have acceptable accuracy under normal hunting conditions and that is what they were made for. But I don't think one will ever find its way into my gun safe.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I own the 710 in a 270 camo. It has hurndreds of rounds through it an is very accurate for me. The bolt action is not as smoothe as someother guns I have but is not a hinderance at all.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

A lawyer friend of mine has one and he seems to like it. However, he's not even close to being any kind of rifle afficionado, so I don't put a whole lot of stock in what he has to say about the subjectof rifles.I had a chance to handle it and it felt rather cheap to me. It's not something I'd ever spend my money on.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Fork Horn

I've had one for a couple of years and it's been a good rifle. The least desirable feature is the effort it takes to close the bolt. Other than that, it gets the job done. Accuracy has been very good, especially with some Federal 150gr ammo using Sierra Game King bullets. For the amount of deer hunting that I get to do, it's a great rifle. I didn't want to spend $1000 for a rifle and scope setup when I only get to hunt maybe a dozen days of the the season.

You'll find there are plenty of folks who don't like the 710, but almost all of them have made that judgment based on looks. The gray synthetic stock is far from pretty, but it's not fancy wood and shiny metal that gets the job done.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of my buddies bought one this fall and I got to sight it in for him. I kinda liked the looks of it, then I cycled the bolt for the first time and I was terribly diassppointed. Then I shot it around 20 times, my best group was 3" at 100 yards with this rifle, with 3 different kinds of factory ammo. I bet those groups would be cut in half with a decent scope (his is the cheap bushnell that it came with from the factory).

I know I would never buy one. I have 2 completely stock rifles that I use and both of 'em (with handloads) will put bullets touching each other at 100 yards. Then again both have high quality optics, and lighter triggers (ones a Browning A-bolt and the other is a Tikka T3.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

Locally, the price of the Rem 710 , the Savage 110 (with accu-triger), and at times the Weatherby Vangaurd are in the same price range ( might cost you $ 20.00 more for either of the later two). I'f a person handled the others I'm sure he'd see $ 20.00 worth of diference between them. I guess including the Weatherby isn't real fair you need a scope after that purchase but the Savage is a package deal too. I'd say go with the Savage you'll be much happier.

I have no field experience with the Rem 710 but I have handled them in the store and set them right back down. I suppose if you were trying to get a work out while shooting that bolt would come in handy .... a day or 2 of shooting and working that bolt you'll have arms like Mr. Universe

Quick Reply: REMINGTON 710

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.