Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 what hand gun to buy??????????????? >

what hand gun to buy???????????????

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

what hand gun to buy???????????????

Old 01-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Banned

Default what hand gun to buy???????????????

hello, im trying to get ideas on what type of hand gun to buy,, auto, revoler, and what makes and models... I would like a gun that is easy to keep clean, with out alot of maintance, cleaning ect..... I was told that for an auto the Glock, amd the springfeild ,would be the best bet,, im looking at a gun for personal protection, for shooting at range, and taking with me when I travel... The calaber should be able to have stoping power if need be,, any ideas about Glock, and or springfeild, and what size cal 45, 40, ect.. would be great , ,,,Thanks....
Old 01-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what hand gun to buy???????????????

You really can't go wrong with either the Glock or the Springfield. Just make sure that the Glocks grip fits you right, if you chose that gun. It doesn't fit that many guys' hands I know, and they can't shoot them worth a crap.

I have an XD 40 Tactical and it shoots very well. I added a set of Trijicon sights, Dons Stainless guide rod and a #22spring. Disassembly of an XD takes all of 5 seconds to completely strip it down.

Here is a group I shot with mine about a week or so after I bought it, shot at 25 yards freehand.

Old 01-07-2006, 06:47 PM

Glock and Springfield are great manufacturers, but I have been a Walther fan myself. I own a Walther P99 in 9mm and a P99 in .40 cal. Both preform great, and within 3-5 seconds, a total strip down is made. Both have , no hammer, no safety, and cleaning is easy, simple, and has minimal parts to it. I am not saying Walther pistols are better than Glock or Springfield, and I am not saying Glock/Springfield are better either. I am merely saying they are great guns, awesome to fire for both target and to have for protection, and weight distributed nicely. I carry one on my waist during the day, everyday when I am on the ranch, usually with snake rounds in it, and doesn't get in the way.

Old 01-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kimber CDP in 40 S&W or 45.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:24 PM

If you want ease of cleaning and maintenance, get a revolver period. Open the wheel clean the barrel...yadda yadda oil here, oil there, and you're done. Auto's are great and I have twoautos, Ialso have two revolvers,.22lr, .40sw, .357mag, and .44mag.

Auto are more involved with cleaning even if some people on take them down into 3 parts, that's field cleaning and if you really want to get down and dirty there is much more to it, springs flying everywhere if you're not careful and you could loose an eye...well possibly...just kidding.

If you want a revolver I'd say go with a good used Colt or S&W in .357 mag. Auto I'd go with a .40S&W, this one is more difficult due to many on the market. I prefer Beretta, because I've had several Beretta shotguns and they never let me down, so I bought a Beretta 96 Inox, and it has been flawless.

I also wouldn't buy a Glock until you shoot one, the grip angles are slightly different thanmost and you may not be comfortable with it.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:16 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: pintailhomes

If you want ease of cleaning and maintenance, get a revolver period. Open the wheel clean the barrel...yadda yadda oil here, oil there, and you're done. Auto's are great and I have two autos, I also have two revolvers, .22lr, .40sw, .357mag, and .44mag.

Auto are more involved with cleaning even if some people on take them down into 3 parts, that's field cleaning and if you really want to get down and dirty there is much more to it, springs flying everywhere if you're not careful and you could loose an eye...well possibly...just kidding.

I don't know what kind of autos you have cleaned, but in this case my Walthers don't throw springs and become messy as you disclosed. With 200 rounds through it in one sitting for targets, I spend less than 15 minutes cleaning and inspecting. In that time, you shouldn't be choosing a firearm solely on cleaning. Comfort, ease, design, caliber, accuracy, and so on should be running through your mind, instead of being concerned if it takes 10 minutes to clean or 30 minutes.

Old 01-09-2006, 07:57 AM

99% of people on here or at the local gun shop are going to tell you buy a "Remchester 999 Magnum" because that's what they own.

I will agree with pintailhomes in that a revolver is the easiest to clean/mantain/etc. as a general rule. A medium framed 357 magnum by S&W or Ruger or anyone else for that matter, will give you the ability to shoot milder and cheaper 38 special loads or 357 magnum loads.

Go to a local range that rents handguns and try a variety of makes and calibers. Any model by Glock, HK, Springfield, Ruger, S&W, Colt, etc. should offer good quality. The cheaper guns like Highpoint, Jennings, etc. are another story.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:49 AM
Dominant Buck

SP101®

Double Action Revolver · KSP-321X

Old 01-10-2006, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

The answer is; the one that fits best in your hand. Too many times people get caught up in "i want a glock" only to find out the grip angle is a PITA. But they had to have a glock...!! The glock is a great gun but make sure it fits you comfortably. I just purchased an XD9 which fits like a glove. What i suggest is choose the caliber you are interested in. 9mm, .40, ,45. Decide what the purpose of the gun will be, try to shoot said calibers in the guns that fit you well. There is nothing worse then someone who wanted a .357 only to find out they can't handle the recoil and muzzle blast.

Most shooting ranges let you try out a few guns. And with todays loads, there isn't much difference between a 9mm, .40, etc..... there is, but not as much as people think. And don't be afraid to look at revolvers. There are plenty of very good ones out there. If it fits you will be better off in the long run.

Just find the gun and caliber that you can shoot well. That is the first step to becoming confident with your firearm.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:30 AM

Do some research on caliber ballistics between the.40 and the .45, then compare those to the 10mm, I owna Glock 10mm and as far as auto's go, good gun, accurate, good power.

Don't discard the revolver's too readily, you can't fit 15 shells in em', but they'll also never jam. (not that my Glock has)

Quick Reply: what hand gun to buy???????????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.