Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 A Bolt Hunter or Savage Model 16FXP3 >

A Bolt Hunter or Savage Model 16FXP3

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

A Bolt Hunter or Savage Model 16FXP3

Old 10-15-2005, 11:19 PM
cck

Default A Bolt Hunter or Savage Model 16FXP3

I can't decide which one should I buy on this coming Monday.

Can anyone help me to decide which I should buy. I am planning to get 243 Win. I like both guns but Accuracy is my main concern.
A lot of people on this forum praise Savage's accuracy. I don't know how good is for Browning. For me Browning's look little more attrative than Savage's. But For the accuracy I don't know, Does it comparable to Savage.
Thanks for any comments.

Old 10-16-2005, 12:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: A Bolt Hunter or Savage Model 16FXP3

I would say what ever fells good to you for the money i would say the savage i own and enjoy my savage model 11 7-08 but i have heard great things about browning accucy but im still a remington die hard fan, good luck on your rifle what ever you pick
Old 10-16-2005, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own a Savage 16FXP3 in 270 wsm. Let me say I'm very impressed with the accuracy of this gun and I can't wait to see how the 270 wsm performs on whitetails in a few weeks! As soon as I got mine I replaced the cheap aluminum rings and bases with steel Leupold rings and bases. Then I replaced the Simmons scope with a Bushnell Elite 3200 in 3-9x40. I do not regret my decision on the Savage. As for the Browning, I have no experience with their rifles but I love their shotguns. I do think for the money you will be hard pressed to beat the Savage.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

I think it would be a tossup as to which shoots better. The Browning will get you more compliments at camp, the Savage will keep some coin in your pocket. I have a savage 116 stainless with a 3 x 9 x 40 Burris Fullfield2 that shoots 1" groups @100yards and am very pleased with everything about it. If you have not triedan accutrigger you really should I really like the trigger.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:42 PM

The Savage barrel is screwed in and the Browning is press fitted (reciever is heated and the barrel cooled and then pressed in to the reciever. That alone makes me want the Savage more as well as it beingalmost 1/2 the price.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:29 PM

I have had both. My first was a savage 111 in 270, great price, good accuracy, ugly, smooth as sandpaper. But it will get the job done. I wouldn't sell it for anything. Well almost anything. I stumbled on to a Browning A-Bolt Hunter 7mm RemMag that was dropped in the showroom there was a a couple small dings in the wood stock so it was reduced to 480$. I bought it and sold the savage. The A-Bolt is better looking 100 times smoother and does shoot tighter groups. In real world situations sometimes I wish I still had the Savage. In the rain with my climbing tree stand and rough environmental climates I focus on not diging up my A-Bolt when I should be worried about deer. I will keep my Browning for the rest of my life but my next rifle will be a Savage 116 ss/syn in .308/7mm-08 because I know there are accurate, inexpensive and if I do ding-um-up I reall don't care. What ever you choose I know you will be happy.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:30 PM

I'll bet either one will be as accurate as you need. I have a svage but the A-bolt series is one of the best bolt actions out there. All of the hunters in my group use the A bolts. I like to be different and I don't mind the savage looking as industrial and no nonsense as it does (read ugly).
Go with whatever comes up to you shoulder best.
okcmco
Old 10-29-2005, 07:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

The Savage barrel is screwed in and the Browning is press fitted (reciever is heated and the barrel cooled and then pressed in to the reciever. That alone makes me want the Savage more as well as it being almost 1/2 the price.
I don't know who told you that but I assure you that they are wrong. The only bolt action rifle that has a press fit barrel, that I know of, is the Remington 710.

About the question between the two rifles. I would take the one that "feels" better on your shoulder. Close your eyes and shoulder both of them and go by feel alone. See which one comes into position more naturally, which one feels more silid in the shoulder, which one you can hold stadier, shich one gets your eye lined up with a scope better, etc...
Old 10-30-2005, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just bought a A-Bolt hunter 300WSM. All I can say is that I love this rifle. Shoots great... 4 shots inside a 1 inch square at 100 yards... Also had the Savage 116 300WSM. Shot like S---... Got ride of it.... There known for there accuracy. But not mine 1.56" is not my idea of exceptible accuracy!!!! Plus the savage stainless looks like a mirror in the woods

I say buy the best gun you can afford
Old 10-30-2005, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

If accuracy is your priority consder the tikka t-3.It is lower priced than the a-bolt but unlike browning or savage ,all tikka rifles must shoot groups that are 1" or better at 100 yards before being sold.

Quick Reply: A Bolt Hunter or Savage Model 16FXP3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.