Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Browning A-Bolt 243 WSSM--What a disappointment >

Browning A-Bolt 243 WSSM--What a disappointment

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Browning A-Bolt 243 WSSM--What a disappointment

Old 08-08-2005, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: UPDATE: Browning A-Bolt 243 WSSM--What a disappointment

Why I can understand your disapointment , I dont think you should bash the gun for not being abel to shoot a COL [case overall length] cartrage, that is over the spec's . If thats what was intended , you probably would have been better of with a single shot like the #one . I believe all magizine feed rifles will have this same problem , and it will be exadurated with the super short , super fat cartrages , like the 243wssm .
Old 08-08-2005, 10:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

FWIW, my .223 magazine won't allow me to load much over COL specs, but it seems to have no effect on accuracy.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:39 AM

Push the cartridge down into the magazine while pushing the bolt forward.

Problem solved.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:37 PM

Default RE: Browning A-Bolt 243 WSSM--What a disappointment

I brought the same Browning A Bolt Medallion 243 WSSM home last night and could wait to load up. The first shell snagged on each attempt. I had to throw the bolt very hard to get it to chamber. When I ejected the round, the tip and the casing were badly scarred. This was consistent each time I tried to load the first round. The second two were not so bad but were still lightly scraped. I am a little torqued about that. Has Browning acknowledged the problem and are they going to fix it???
Old 09-03-2005, 04:18 AM

Default RE: Browning A-Bolt 243 WSSM--What a disappointment

This sounds like it has little to do with the gun, and almost everything to do with the WSSM cartridges. The sharp shoulder angle of the short mags are inherently problematic in terms of feeding a cartridge into the chamber. I wouldsee if you can't exchangeit for a regular 243 Win or a 6mmRem.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:31 PM
jjo

Old 09-19-2005, 01:49 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: johnboy1948

The local Browning-certified gunsmith told me that this gun will onlyfeed cartridges from its magazine into the chamber that have aCOL equal to or less than the factory ammo's COL (about 2.220"), and that the ballistic tip bullets (very pointy) are about the only ones that will feed from the mag into the chamber without jamming against the front edge of the chamber entrance.

So...I shortened my ballistic tip reloads by 0.060" and they feed just fine. Further measuring shows that HPBT bullets (almost pointy) need to be shortened another 0.015".

The bottom line here is that, ifyou wish to usereloads with a COL long enough to have the bullet close to the lands, then you have to use the rifle in single-shot mode (no feeding from the magazine). The magazine is very cheap and falls apart in your hands sometimes, so this is no loss.

This gun is still disappointing.

John

Not uncommon at all foryou not be able to reach the rifling and be at max length or even have to shorten for feeding.

Old 10-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

I dont own any WSMs. But from what I've heard and read they aren't as slick in feeding as your 'standard' cartridges. They say that this is due to the thick case body and sharp shoulder. Sounds logical. This may be the case especially with the .243 WSM and the .223WSSM.
I'm sure pushing that shoulder up against the front of the magazine feels like hitting a brick wall. Did you actually try cycling rounds from the mag to the chamber without being too tentative? Take it to the range or a safe area and try it. You may just not be used to this rifle/cartridge combo yet.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

What is COL?
Old 10-13-2005, 09:43 AM

Iknow this is a stupid response, but sometimes the simplest solutions are the best. With one of my top load guns, if i personally push the cartridge down too far it will cant to an angle and will not load properly. Try to push it just into the magazing and let the spring and magazine lip hold it in tight. Might just be pushing it too far down and it goes at an angle.

Quick Reply: Browning A-Bolt 243 WSSM--What a disappointment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.