Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Birchwood/Casey perma blue >

Birchwood/Casey perma blue

Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Birchwood/Casey perma blue

Old 07-03-2005, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Birchwood/Casey perma blue

Awesome stuff, I used some tonight on a shotgun barrel that needed touching up. All I can say is it worked great. I applied the stuff 3 times to match the arleady existing blueing an almost perfect blend in, then I buffed it lightly with steel wool and then gave the entire barrel a good rub down with some rem oil. you can hardly tell where I touched it up at unless you look real close. deffinately the best 4 dollars ever spent. Anybody else have as good of an experience with this stuff as i did??
Old 07-03-2005, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Birchwood/Casey perma blue

Only problem I have had with it is it seems the touch ups are far more suseptable to rust than the rest of the metal.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:52 PM

If I am going to use a cold blue, itwill beeither Oxpho-Blue from Brownell's, or Blue Wonder. Nothing else comes close, IME.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:36 PM

I'm with Charley, but I think the Blue Wonder's a bit easier to use.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:13 PM

I agree with the others. I have had better results with the oxpho-blue. The perma blue will be more suseptable to rust. I was not at all happy with the long term results. At first, it looked good. But after that it looked aweful. Hope you have better luck than I did.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Blue Wonder rocks, it's so easy to use, consistant look andresults. No nasty odor either.
Old 07-04-2005, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

i tried re- blueing in the past and it comes out o.k. at best. i would rather wait till the barrel really needs some help and then send it out for hot blue. last time i sent a barrel out it was around 100$ but it looks new when i get it back.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:04 PM

I've had good results with the B-C Perma Blue. About 7 years ago I reblued on old Winchester single-shot .22 rifle with the stuff. I applied it to the gun as the directions stated, and the finish came out very nice. I have yet to have any problem with the bluing wearing thin or the gun rusting, but then I am a stickler for keeping my guns oiled or wiped down with a silicon rag.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:17 PM

All these blueing solutions,first came out for touch up work on screws and pins ect. They have and will be used by some to try and blue there guns with it. It does make them look better,but will not protect it like the hot bath blueing process. Which is oxidizing on the metal,(just like rust is a oxidizing process).Its come a long way since they first came out. vangunsmith
Old 07-11-2005, 02:47 PM

Oxpho-blue is a cold blue, of course. Is is a surface coating, like other cold blues. Blue Wonder is entirly different, I believe it is a photo chemical reaction to a micronized metal coating that does penetrate ferrous metals. Doesn't rub off, like cold blues, and does provide a very good degree of corrosion protection. Corrosion protection is higher than hot blueing, because the finish is not a layer of oxidized metal.

Quick Reply: Birchwood/Casey perma blue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.