Community
Enhancement Request / Wish List Please post any enhancement requests here. We will review them all, but please understand that we may or may not be able to include them in future releases.

Raptor Forum?

Old 05-12-2004, 12:11 AM

Default Raptor Forum?

There are virtually no populated forums (training birds of prey) for raptor owners (falcons, hawks, eagles, owls...) and there deffinitly should be... IMO... [8D]
Old 05-12-2004, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Raptor Forum?

I agree with you 100% as it is something I have been interested in since I was a little girl. Awesome way to hunt if you've ever seen it done, and Awesome birds too!!! Not sure how much interest it would generate though. It is also a sport that is federally regulated due to the fact that special permits and training are required to even own the birds, period! Just a thought.....We do not want inexperienced kids or adults out attempting to raid nests to get a Hawk, Falcon or an Owl to hunt with and all are/can be used for hunting. It takes a great deal of knowledge as well as proper certifications that are aside from the required permits. Not to mention Raptors require special diets and care to thrive, as well as specialized training and the legal permits that go with it.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:29 PM

i think it would be sweet
Old 05-12-2004, 06:00 PM

i am 12 and i would love to get into falconry. yea a falconry forum would be great.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:04 PM

I am a falconer - albeit a new one... [8D]

I work in the Middle East as a civilian contractor and acquired a Lanner Falcon, known locally as a Wakiri (from Iran)... she is a fantastic and very intellegent raptor that manned and glove trained very well. I have recently began flying her at game - so far, 1 rabbit and 2 quail. I do plan on getting registered and sponsered some day in the US. I have been taught by an Arabic man, as well as British and American publications.

You are not sure how much interest it would generate? I have a friend who has captured and released falcons for 3 hunting seasons and he agrees - there is no good message boards on the Net to find other falconers. Run a search query and see for yourself. I was recently BANNED from a Pet Forum because I posted pics of my falcon's first prey - a little fuzzy rabbit... they said it was "offensive to all small pet owners." Yet they all encouraged me to post more about our training.

In my current location, depending on several variables (sex, species, who has owned and trained it, how and where it was captured, age, health record and so on...), a falcon can become a very large asset. One that I saw fly last month was worth nearly $30,000! So you can see why the few falconers that there are in the world do look for places to meet up...

If a forum goes up here - it should populate just fine. And I will post my story...
Old 05-13-2004, 11:32 PM

If anyone would care to learn about Birds of Prey, and support an Internet forum regarding this topic - please chime in and let the board admin know. For the mean time, if anyone wants further info on Raptors (or see photos), I own a Lanner Falcon and can do my best here... I am looking to chat with, and read posts from other raptor owners on a good board like this...

Tango...
Old 05-14-2004, 05:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Sounds like a good idea , I've always wondered about falconry , it would be facinating .
Old 05-14-2004, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

sounds good to me... i would participate in it for sure!
Old 05-14-2004, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have my vote!

Mike
Old 05-20-2004, 04:59 AM

you got my vote !

Quick Reply: Raptor Forum?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.