Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Disabled Hunters
Comment about Disable Hunters >

Comment about Disable Hunters

Community
Disabled Hunters How-to's, adapted equipment, methods, disabled hunting laws, managed hunts, and more!

Comment about Disable Hunters

Old 07-16-2002, 01:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Comment about Disable Hunters

I really don't know why I am posting this as a new topic but either way its all good. I don't know any hunter who is disabled in any type of way personally but I just wanted to say good job to everyone, hunters and non hunters (not including PETA or other tree hugging hippies) who don't let their 'disable body/parts' get in the way of doing things like they enjoy doing. Whethever it be hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or whatever it is. I admire people like that, who just because have something wrong with them by body, they just kick it in the butt and keep doing it no matter what people may say or think. Sad to say there are people out there who don't think disable people should hunt or whatever, and happy to say i don't know any one so that's good. I just want to say that I admire you all for the strength of going on strong with what you enjoy doing the most. Keep out going on strong guys and gals.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Live to hunt, hunt to live, be the eyes of the hawk. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Old 07-16-2002, 07:59 AM

Default RE: Comment about Disable Hunters

As I see kids and a LOT of adults whine about not being able to do this or that because it's to much work, I kinda chuckel to my self and say,&quot;I sure am glad I can&quot; Some times I wish I can hear, but othwer times I wouldn't want to listen...He..HE, and when I can't move around to much cause me back is kicking my butt, I feel glad I can walk.
Thanks for the pat on the back, It helps us smile on days that are hard to do anything.
Bruce

Old 07-16-2002, 01:20 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-17-2002, 05:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Red Hawk although I am not disabled I know where you are coming from, I have nothing but admiration for the folks who are disabled yet chose to continue on with life and not allow their disability to run their lives.

Edward and Bruce folks like you all are one of the reasons I am forming the VDOC, you are the example to the disabled who feel as if their butt is kicked and throw in the towel. Folks like you are the ones I want to talk to the recently disabled and even the long term disabled to tell and show them that they can return to the outdoors, whether it is simply with some sort of aid or an assistant.

You have the fortitude to refuse to let a disability run your life and some folks just need to see that their disability can be overcome to allow them to return outdoors, it is so much easier to try something that you have seen someone do, than it is to be the first one to do it.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 07-17-2002, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Being disabled myself and a hunter,I have to agree with Mr.Owens! I can't walk and I am wheelchair bound but I still feel lucky to be able to hunt(with help from family and friends)for deer,turkey and one of my obsesions woodchucks. I even hunt out west for pronghorn and &quot;WHEN&quot; I draw my tag for elk in New Mexico,I'm going! I feel lucky...their is always someone worse-off and can't enjoy the things they love...

Hunt Safe!

Jack

Old 07-21-2002, 12:31 PM

I'd like to share some observations ~ something I've noticed about us disabled hunters:

I focus on the true experience of the hunt - getting &quot;out there&quot;; interacting with 'ol Mother Nature ~ on &quot;her&quot; terms, not mine ~ accepting the challenge.

It's not only about monster bucks & recordbook entries ~ those are just the icing on the cake. It's about deer camp, camaraderie & campfire cooking and the &quot;stories&quot; that follow. It's about making a first-time hunter welcome to the camp; cheering him on & helping him realize his dream ~ his first deer. It's also about nullifying those old thoughts of &quot;I can't&quot;.

I don't belittle others for the weapon, equipment or method they choose (as long as they hunt legally & responsibly). I'm just ecstatic they're out there.

I'm not out there to impress anyone either ~ I'm out there to make a life for myself. A life full of memories I can recall, when the time comes when I can no longer experience the wonders of nature/hunting on a personal level.

I see hunting seasons as opportunities ~ opportunties for me to get away for awhile. Away from daily stress, financial worries, medical bills and all the physical, emotional & spiritual **baggage** we have heaved upon us ~ sometimes on a daily basis.

When I'm in the woods, I feel blessed when I observe nature in all her true glory. While sitting there in my camo unnoticed, and the sun is beginning to appear, the sounds of the woods coming alive makes me feel as if I'm being reborn. I feel completely rejuvenated. When I was in rehab, back in '79, we were taught to meditate to reach this level of relaxation. Ever since I've started hunting 11 years ago, I have had no use for those meditation tapes. Whenever I feel the need to &quot;meditate&quot;, I just head for the woods ~ thats MY &quot;Happy Place&quot;!

When I was introduced to hunting, 11 years ago, I gained a whole new lease on life. Before I was disabled 23+ years ago, my dream was to work in a conservation/wildlife profession. After my accident, I was quickly told what &quot;not&quot; to expect in my newly aquired lifestyle. I just told them to wait & see ~ I'm not going to be one of those guys, on his deathbed, with regrets of what I wanted to try - but didn't, merely because someone told me I &quot;can't&quot;.

When I applied for my first managed deer hunt in '92, I was drawn! The sponsors & voluteers made me feel very welcome, even though we were all total strangers. I don't know which of us were more excited - the sponsors, voluteers, or the disabled hunters... It was then & there that I began my admiration for these folks. The sponsors & volunteers could have very easily decided they wanted to go hunting instead, and decided to do so without showing up to assist at the disabled hunt. After all, no matter who you are, you still have only so many days in the season to fill your tags! I realized from that day on, just how un-selfish these folks are. They were giving up some of their days to hunt, so a few of us could experience our first hunt.

I'm not there to only take the largest buck or doe - it's not a competition to me. I wouldn't pass them up if they came by my blind, though! I'm grateful when I'm able to put a couple of deer in my freezer. I LOVE eating venison....

I've enjoyed meeting new friends, and hooking up with old ones every year, now. It's a magical time of year, when we all get together to recall old memories, renew friendships & catch up on hunting stories.

When it's time to head for the deer hunting woods, a hush falls over the group. It's time to get serious... Break out the topo maps, check your gear & check your watches...we're going hunting!

To make a long story short ~ I'd do just about anything to be able to go hunting. Wild horses couldn't drag me away from deer hunting camp. I've always felt the calling of the wild. And as long as I can hear that call, I'll be out there...

There's nothing that can compare to the feelings I have, when I'm in the woods. There ain't no pill, nor no therapy that could even come close to conjuring up the euphoria I experience, in the deer/turkey hunting woods...

If your mind should go blank...don't forget to [mute] the sound!
Old 07-22-2002, 05:20 PM

I take my Camo hat off to all you good ole boy's.

It's not how big the Deer,But the size of the experiance that matters!!
Old 07-23-2002, 07:26 AM

Thanks Carpetguy! But pit it back on, we gota hunt to do!

And to you Tazman, For your unselfishness to give!

Old 07-24-2002, 05:59 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-13-2002, 04:51 PM

99% of a persons disability, in in Thier minds. I know many, disabled people, that beat the odds. That did the impossible, after being told they couldn't. The only thing I've ever seen, that has held a disabled person back, is thier attitude. I could be classified as disabled, but chose not to be. I'm still young (28) and have too many things I want to do in my life yet. That is NOT to take away from anyone who is. I did get a crossbow permit, for here in PA, so I could use a crossbow in 2000, and it has made for some of the best memories I have of hunting yet. Including taking my first buck last year with it, a 170 pound 7 point. Double lunged Him.
I have had people make me feel like less of a person, partly because I am on pain meds, to control my disabilities, and partly because I'm a Female Hunter. I've got scoliosis (curvature of the spine), Fibromyalgia, and Periphrial Neorpathy (know I didn't spell that right, sorry) I just started back to school mid June, am studying to work on computers. What keeps me from feeling sorry for myself in the least bit. Is all the people I know, that are in alot worse shape then I am. If they can smile, and enjoy life, who am I to do otherwise.

Life is like a Box of Chocolates..... You always get stuck with those Yucky cream filled ones

Quick Reply: Comment about Disable Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.