Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Disabled Hunters
VA Hospital Trip >

VA Hospital Trip

Community
Disabled Hunters How-to's, adapted equipment, methods, disabled hunting laws, managed hunts, and more!

VA Hospital Trip

Old 07-04-2002, 12:49 AM
Spike

Default RE: VA Hospital Trip

Really sorry how some of the docs are treating you guys. You're definetly right that it pays to have the right person in your corner. Several years back I started falling apart, physicaly. I couldn't understand why. It got to where I couldn't work and was hit by so many problems, that I thought I was loseing it, but the problems kept getting more and more. I was hit with serious heart, lung, thyroid, esophagus, heart, kidney, pancreas, bone, muscle and nerve problems. Finally I found a private doctor that did all of the needed tests and went to bat for me. I now get a non service related 100% disability. Although 6 doctors and one medical researcher says I'm suffering from dioxin poisoning. When the chemicals for Agent Orange was mixed, two of the chemicals used cobine to make, you guessed it, DIOXIN! I obtained a little known V.A. report that lists the problems caused by dioxin and discovered that it reads like a check list for everything I've been hit with. My problems even started according to the time frame the report predicted. Thought I'd apply for a military related disability and discovered, real quick, just what that amounted too. There's only one doc, St. Louis V.A. Hospital, that is qualified to do the tests. A private doc is not allowed. Then I'd have to track down everyone I served with. Even if I test positive, the V.A. still doesn't admit dioxin as a cause. The doc at the V.A. Hospital in Poplar Bluff, Mo., kept asking me how I got in such bad shape in such a short time. Think, honestly, that they aproved my Non Service just to pacify me, cause they aproved me practicaly over night. What bothers me most is passing my health probs on to my kids. It's sad to realise that just making it home does not mean you survived Vietnam. Did not intend for this to be so long. Wish you guys the best. Hopefully you'll continue to find doctors who care.
Old 07-08-2002, 12:50 PM

Spirit, I sorry that you have "agent orange" I was tested many tines for it ,I had been exposed to it in Nam also but to this date have no real symtons ,yet they test me every time i go in. I dont under why your not service connected from this ,,they think you got this from a crop duster? Man what they come up with to save a buck! Fight them Bro!!!
Old 07-09-2002, 03:25 PM

Sorry to hear of your situation, Spirit.... I'd think there would be an on-line group that confronts this type of situations. Maybe even a registry where men you served with could be reached.

I do know of a website called "Classmates.Com", who's recently added a military version. Might be worth a look-see????

http://www.classmates.com/ Click on the "Military" tab, on top of the page....

If your mind should go blank...don't forget to [mute] the sound!

Edited by - Chairman on 07/09/2002 19:25:06
Old 07-10-2002, 09:19 AM

I recive a "agent orange " news letter once a year, gives me info on all the latest things there doing and other V A stuff, so there is a group out there that watches whats going on but i think it one sided if you know what i mean. My wifes brother died from the effects and had children borne with this ailment, he wasent told by the V A at the time what he had and spent years in the civilian sector finding out, stayed a poor man due to the bills, They still havent made things right with his children . If they would just be fair with all of us then ,well ill get off my box again LOL BTW there is an online group where you can get info on a lot of things www.viet-anm vets I think thats there addy but i will get it if you cant get there from this one.

Edited by - hoghunter51 on 07/10/2002 10:25:44