Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Disabled Hunters
 Any suggestions appreciated >

Any suggestions appreciated

Community
Disabled Hunters How-to's, adapted equipment, methods, disabled hunting laws, managed hunts, and more!

Any suggestions appreciated

Old 06-12-2004, 10:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default Any suggestions appreciated

Before I broke my neck and back I had a crowd of people wanting to hunt with me. Now that I'm disabled, nobody wants to go with me anymore. So, my question is; how the heck can I get a deer out of the hills by myself? I can still walk with support, but can't carry or drag any weight. I have an ATV, but they are not allowed off the road. This is very steep country and I can't think of a good way to retrieve a deer if I do shoot one. Once at the truck or ATV I know how to get the deer loaded. It's just moving it from the kill site to the road that has me stumped. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2004, 10:23 AM

Default RE: Any suggestions appreciated

Apply at you D.N.R office, or fish and wildlife. They should have the application forms needed for special use of atv's. Also, I'm sure if you ask others on the deer hunting forums on this site, you will find someone to hunt with, and they will probably be happy to take you out. Where you from?
Old 06-13-2004, 01:33 PM
Typical Buck

I'm from S.W. Utah. The DNR won't allow the off-road use of any type of motor vehicle regardless of the reason.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:43 PM

Weasel,

Contact the director of DNR in writting & ask him for a permit for the use of the ATV off road. Give him only a address to return your mail, make him answer you request in writting. If they say no then request a meeting with the director & ask him has he heard of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Then which ever way he answers ask him why is he descriminating against you, denying the privilige of hunting to you. Then ask the director since you have his formal response in writting is he willing to defend his actions in court or give you the permit.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Bldhound. Anything can be won in court, and usually just the threat of court is enough to make people give in, especially if they know there is a good chance you could win. If not I wouldn't mind a little trip to SW Utah, where exactly? I live in Elko, NV. Just had a kidney transplant April 1st. Healthy as a horse now.

A couple more questions. Is there a law in Utah that allows for disabled people to shoot from vehicles? We have one in Nevada that allows parapalegics to shoot from a parked vehicle. Are there jeep trails and such in the area that you hunt that you get very close to watering holes or feeding areas and drag the deer using a winch?
Old 06-14-2004, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

Utah has a provision for parapalegics, allowing them to shoot from a vehicle provided they have somebody with them that can retrieve the game. I can and do walk, although not very far and only with a cane or other support. So, that rules out shooting from a vehicle and if I had somebody able to retrieve the game, my problem would be solved anyway. Since my major problem is retrieving game, I think I will challenge the off-road law restricting motor vehicles. Apparently this is kind of a gray area as it is. Utah law states that you will do everything necessary to retrieve game, but other laws restrict the use of motor vehicles to designated roads and trails. There is no in between for people that aren't physically capable of carrying or dragging game. I've killed many deer and elk in areas that an ATV couldn't get into. Those days are over, but if I can shoot deer and elk in an area that I can get the ATV into, I can still hunt and even retrieve them myself. I think I can challenge the law by proposing changes in the law at DNR meetings and possibly by petitions. If need be, but I can't imagine it going this far, I could challenge the law in court. My youngest son is an attorney, although in another state and could help if I go that route. Thanks for the tips and ideas, especially your offer Charlie brown.