Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Disabled Hunters
 Guess there are not that many Dis. hunters >

Guess there are not that many Dis. hunters

Community
Disabled Hunters How-to's, adapted equipment, methods, disabled hunting laws, managed hunts, and more!

Guess there are not that many Dis. hunters

Old 04-02-2004, 06:20 AM

Default RE: Guess there are not that many Dis. hunters

I just receved my disability permit yesterday and I an happy to have a 4 wheeler and friends to help me, also,I never thought that I would be in a position like I am now,but know one told me life wasn't fare. I wish in Wisconsin that you could use a 4 wheeler on public land,where I use to hunt,but I am lucky enough to have a farmer that will let me take my 4wheeler on his land and hunt.
Old 04-02-2004, 12:15 PM

Hey there Bow hunter, were you able to get out and deer hunt this fall.Just wondering what your dis is.May be some day the state will open their eyes and see that the handicapped in this state could drive our atv with out their worry about wrecking the enviroment.They dont understand that we just like to be out and about. big kentk.
Old 04-03-2004, 02:37 AM

To akbound:

I too was millitary and I know how money can be a real crunch. I also know what it's like to lose someone you love. True, i don't know what it's like to lose a son, I can honestly say that I don't know how it feels. But I lost my little brother (6 years my junior) almost 2 years ago to the day. There are some people who would argue (I know, because it's been done to me) who will say that it's harder to lose someone in an accident; or they'll say it's easier when they have a terminal disease. That's BS! There is NO "easier" way, as you well know... it's damn hard. My brother, God rest him, was my best friend. He was picking up a buddy and he simply tripped over his own two feet, happens to me all the time. He hit his head on a stair and got knocked out... he never woke up. He died 20 hours later in the hospital. In the first year without him, I regretted that he didn't have some terminal disease. I regretted that I didn't have time to say the things I wanted to say... but then I realized what I was saying.
I'm sorry, the story of your son really hit me as I found out my wife and I were going to have a baby shortly thereafter. Anyway, you and your family are in my prayers and I'd like to say one thing that may make things a tiny bit easier: Your son is in perfect health now. On top of that, my brother is up there with him right now. Hunters can't stay apart so your son undoubtedly has a hunting partner in my brother. You know what I tell my son when he starts crying during a thunderstorm? He doesn't understand, as he's only 16 months old, but I tell him that it's just his Uncle Mike hunting geese. That's something that helps me get through the rough times. Now I look forward to every thunderstorm, because I know hunting season is back on!
Sorry to get all emotional here, everyone on this board has problems that are as bad or worse than mine. What I really came on here to say, before I read akbound's post was this: Someone should write to Buckmasters Whitetail Magazine and tell them about this board. Buckmasters is very active with disabled hunters and I think they would either mention the board on TV or would put it in their magazine... maybe both. I'd write to them myself, but I think they'd like to hear from someone who knows what it's like to be a disabled hunter. I too am disabled... but it's just that I am disabled to hit the damn target half the time
Old 04-29-2004, 10:29 AM

Just was wondering if any of you guys were turkey hunting.I got a 24lb. gobbler on the 24 of this month. bigkentk.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:10 PM
Typical Buck

i read the posts on here every now and then.

i was in the kansas jaycees a few years ago. our state project (the ongoing project that all 30 some chapters in the state help support) is a cerebral palsy ranch near wichita kansas. it's open for campers from roughly may~august, on 160 acres, has a 20 acre lake, woods, fields, etc etc.

the state president of the jaycees lived there, and he was a hunter. i spent alot of time up there when i was another officer for the state jaycees.

the cp ranch is in augusta kansas. i wonder if anyone here has heard of it?
www.cpranch.org
Old 05-08-2004, 12:24 PM

Hi Danth,
For a great site try this one; http://residents.bowhunting.net/disabledhunters/
there are TONS of gun holders, rests, etc.
Good luck and happy hunting!
Old 05-08-2004, 12:36 PM

Hey Brigid,
I'm a 44yr old T4-5 para, I've been chair bound for 3yrs but due to many problems associated with this disorder, I haven't been able to get back uot doing what I love.
Between bloodclots, pressure sores, and chronic pain, I am now just able to go again.
I spend alot of time on the web, so I read alot but the other problem is, I've been on Soc.
Sec. and have all but exhausted my savings/ investments. So, now I can finally go but I can't afford a hunting trip or hardly even ammunition! I guess I could sell a gun or two but then where would I be? Any help for a fellow 100% Irishman?!
Thanks much,
Old 05-10-2004, 12:50 PM

Hello everybody. I'm new to the forum. I'm not disabled but worked part time through college for Bob Bowen at SR77 enterprises building gun rest for disabled hunters. Glad to see there are a quite a few forums around the net dedicated to disabled hunters.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am a disabled hunter. I have OI but i am fortunate to only have a mild case so i am able 2 walk and get myself around. i love to hunt and fish and i get out very often. My bones break easily so i have 2 watch myself when out hunting but i get there. 2 years ago i had back surgery to correct some curveture and i was not alowed 2 walk for 6 months. The good lord was with me deer hunting. I harvested a 6pt off my gator with my crossbow and it was the first time i ever went archery hunting. needless 2 say i am hooked now! That year i also harvested 2 does. I shot them using my 223 with because i didnt know how much recoil i could take with my back being screwed up. And people say a 223 wont kill a deer [:'(]. My hunting and fishing career's although effected by my disability have been very successful thus far. I have my dad to thank for getting me out when i was hurt or had something broken. i wish everyone the best! God Bless
Old 05-18-2004, 09:39 PM

HEY DEERSLAYER. That sounds good to me sounds like your getting along with your hunting well.I also hunt with a .223 for deer.If you put the shot were i does some good you will harvest what your shooting at.Have not as of yet to get a kill with the x bow but keep shooting targets some day a deer will get too close and i will be ready.There is not much going on on this forem latley but check every day just the same Keep up the good work and good luck. bigkentk.

Quick Reply: Guess there are not that many Dis. hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.