HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Disabled Hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/disabled-hunters-34/)
-   -   Disabled hunter thread (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/disabled-hunters/295438-disabled-hunter-thread.html)

Centaur 1 06-05-2009 08:50 PM

Disabled hunter thread

One part of me feels good that there aren't many posts here, that means that everyone is healthy. Since I know that's only a dream I'd like to encourage people that know disabled hunters to get involved here on Huntingnet. I have so many problems with my back that it's almost impossible for me to hunt anymore. I'd love to hear from others in my situation and swap stories and tips.

If anyone knows someone who doesn't hunt as much as he used to because of health issues please try and get them to sign up. This forum is a great place to share ideas and make friends. It just might be the encouragement that they need to get back in the woods.

jdhogg 06-08-2009 06:12 AM

RE: Disabled hunter thread

most of us buck up and just do it.and its great to think of others

hankedw 06-09-2009 04:31 AM

Thought I was the only one who visited this section. I have a disability due to a stroke suffered in Dec 2004, ie. left side weakness. Would love to hear from other disabled hunters and how they have learned to adapt.
Hank

Peglegearl 06-18-2009 11:52 AM

Now there are 4 of us.

x-mountie 06-22-2009 05:45 PM

Let's make that 5. I'm a cancer survivor, butcomplications have left me very weak in the legs and lower back. I still hunt every chance I get, just don't run the bush like I used to.

Gimphunter 06-26-2009 09:26 AM

Okay, don't forget me. I'm a full time wheeler. Been hunting for years. I live in CA and own a chunk of forest in Southern Oregon. My new hunting grounds.

wheelz99 06-29-2009 07:08 AM

there are plenty of us out there. come check out my journal & my website!

Centaur 1 07-07-2009 03:05 AM

That's a pretty cool website Chad, love the rickshaw.

http://www.followmeoutdoors.com/

James B 07-07-2009 10:09 PM

I have some deer hunting land in SD that would be open to a few handicapped hunters. I am partly handi capped myself.

leman 09-26-2009 04:32 PM

I am 23 years old and due to some genetic problems I have a bad hip. Luckily I can still walk, but have to use a cane, and still I can only walk for short distances at a time. Before it became this much of a problem I did a lot of squirrel, rabbit, and pheasant hunting. I can no longer pheasant hunt. It is just too difficult for me to walk through tall grass. I still squirrel and rabbit hunt as much as I can, but I mostly just sit and wait for them to come to me instead of stalking them. It is good to know that I'm not the only disabled person out there who enjoys hunting.

shump 09-26-2009 04:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
put me in on it.i do not hunt to much anymore but i can take my grandson out now yahooo.i got him this 22 for his 5th bday.if you look he has 3 in the black ring this was from 25 yards and his first time with this gun.look out tree ratsAttachment 3197

Bigtimer 09-27-2009 03:15 PM

Another gimp here. I broke my back on 2002 and have suffered from chronic pain ever since. The pain has increased tremedously over the last six months but I try to stay avtive. I was just approved for a spinal cord stimulator this past week and am praying that this will be the break that I have been looking for. I love the outdoors, hunting, fishing, just about anything that I am able to these days. I look forward to hearing from some of you with ideas on how you adapt.

Centaur 1 10-06-2009 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bigtimer (Post 3455663)
Another gimp here. I broke my back on 2002 and have suffered from chronic pain ever since. The pain has increased tremedously over the last six months but I try to stay avtive. I was just approved for a spinal cord stimulator this past week and am praying that this will be the break that I have been looking for. I love the outdoors, hunting, fishing, just about anything that I am able to these days. I look forward to hearing from some of you with ideas on how you adapt.

That sucks about your back. I didn't break mine but I have a lot of other problems. I have surgery set for November second. They're going to fuse five vertebrae, I'm getting plates bolted to the front of my spine and rods down the back. They're going to start at L3 and go down to S2, S1 and S2 aren't fused like a normal person so my body grew a rudimentary disk between the two. It ruptured and it's pressing on my spinal cord. No hunting for me this year. :sad:

PaJack 10-07-2009 02:24 PM

Add one more to the list,I've had MS since 1987! I still get out,I have a permit to hunt from a vehicle and I hunt off my ATV all the time...:biggrin:

waynemorgan 10-12-2009 10:40 AM

i have been here for some time but i dont check this thread much
i am still trying to work out haw to grt in the field alot more.

FLBandit 10-25-2009 08:59 AM

I'm not officially disabled, but I broke my back in '04 and things changed forever. I can still get out, but I'm limited in how far I can walk, and I'm not supposed to use treestands (among a bajillion other don'ts :(). I guess I don't really have any point to this thread other than to say hello, and encourage others to get outdoors.

mr.mc54 02-20-2010 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bigtimer (Post 3455663)

Is that a (tens) stimulater? I have one and it is awesome. I have a bad back, both shoulders surgery and a hip replacement and I still hunt.

jdhogg 06-20-2010 12:44 PM

centar,i busted my back and finally had it fixed.hahaha.i use traction,i hang upside down and its better than sex.i can walk and exercise hanging and doesnt hurt my back.most of the time i look like a troll hunched over but this has really helped me get back on my feet.i still have alotta bad dazebut i try exercising.hell i been in an ankle cast for over a year now and yup come hell or high water im going huntin.might just sit and watch but i wont be home bound anymore

jdhogg 06-20-2010 12:49 PM

be very careful with those 10s units,u can do perminent damage with too much use or turning it up too far.as i said i got one of them swivil things ya hang upside down on.the VA told me to go home and get use to being more or less homebound.BULL S... I TRY to exercise and walk,its helped me alot

hunt genious 06-20-2010 02:04 PM

There is a New Company in the north west thats into outdoor Activities for the physically challanged check them out at www.PNWOA.Org

jdhogg 06-21-2010 06:43 AM

thank you sir

nystr8shooter 04-26-2011 10:25 AM

I've been a gimp for over 20 years. Still try to hunt and fish whenever I can using a cane or walker and my atv to access the woods. Now I am spearheading an effort to give information, support, and outdoor events to us gimps. Physically Challenged Sportsmen of America has a web site (www.pcsaonline.com) yo reall should check out. If you like what you see, join us. More.....

later,
Rob

Terasec 07-08-2011 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by hunt genious (Post 3637774)
There is a New Company in the north west thats into outdoor Activities for the physically challanged check them out at www.PNWOA.Org

Good group HG posted,
I am not disabled but would be glad to help anyone that is, whether young or old,
whether in NY or PA know anyone thats disabled that could use some help getting out feel free to send me a PM,
I have 2 kayaks and a small boat i can take some people out on, or will loan them for a parent/child outing,
i also know some hunting trails manageable by wheel chair.

creature 07-12-2011 08:58 AM

new here

hello i live in ontario canada stroke survivor feb 2009 looking at the renagade wheel chair any one use this chair:fighting0007:

unkelfester 08-03-2011 09:02 PM

disabled hunter

I became disabled by a severe left side stroke June 07,needless to say, there went my bow hunting,low back, neck, right hand surgeries. all xtra complications,besides PAD in my legs & lung cancer. I had been an avid bow hunter for 40+ yrs. till then. I'm not ready to lay dead just yet! I don't have the strength to draw any bows anymore. I am also finally on S.S. disability,but it barely pays the basic bills! I would like to know if anyone out there would happen to have a spare decent crossbow that they could send my way to try to bow hunt this year,as I never have any spare cash,or at least put me onto some manufacturer who would be willing to allow me to demo/field test one this Sept! my e-mail is [email protected] please contact me for more details A.S.A.P. THANKS to all you guys!!!

AF Hunter 09-07-2011 06:00 AM

I am only as disabled as my mind makes me on any given day. I blew out my right shoulder in the Air Force in 2003. Took until 2005 before they took me seriously and I lost most of the strength in my arm. I also have arthritis in my feet, knees and hips. On wet and cold days, I have next to nothing in that arm and it hurts like hades to walk long distances. I've learned to adapt in a lot of ways for hunting. I strap a hay bale hook to my arm for climbing into the stand and use my knee to hold the bow while I pull back with my left arm. When my lower half hurts too bad to walk to my favorite stands, I placed stands closer to home that have ocassional traffic. I won't let this interfere with my love for the outdoors.

not the dogs 12-07-2011 11:17 AM

Well you can add one more to the list. I was born with cb and now I have also found out that I have severe spinal stenosis. I do still get out everyday that I can. It is a challenge most of the time but, I make myself do it because I love it. My cb is a mild case. I know that all of us on here have some kind of problem but the way that I look at it, everyone has problems sometimes. I just thank the Lord that he has blessed me with what I can still do. I thank him everyday.

REwalt 02-22-2012 05:45 AM

Add one more to the list.Disabled since 2008. Have several of health issues.Heart dease (heart not pumping but25%),Arthritis over 90% of my body. Some days are better than others.But I still love to hunt and fish. I know whay you guys are going through. Dont give up, and keep enjoying what you like to do.

matt068 06-01-2012 08:09 PM

I suffer from Multiple Sclerosis diagnoised 5 yrs ago aslo broken neck just a yr b4 that nock on wood have good days and bad days I find if It was just myself going out i might play hooky but i hunt with my son daughter and nephew w/out me they cant hunt so gives me extra incentive even on those not so great days If theres a will theres a way I dont do deer drives and on occasion take shorter routes for ease in and outa stand probably cost me some deer but im still out there good luck and keep pluggin away all we only get one go round

camocowgirl07 12-22-2012 07:43 AM

hello to all,im not "healthy" but i am blessed to be alive,i just discovered this site today.been looking for free adult disabled hunts (i have terminal diagnosis with mesothelioma) i would appreciate any help or advice anyone has! god bless everyone

monoped 01-02-2013 08:54 PM

Welcome camocowgirl!
Not up to date on hunts.
Would look up n.w.t.f. in your area and see if they have a wheeling hunter group. If they don,t they may have some leads to pursue.

Jaag 01-28-2013 10:58 AM

I'm located in northern Wisconsin. If you need help to get out and enjoy the great outdoors let me know what you need. I have a small shop where I build rifle stocks and slings. My slings can help you carry a rifle much easier.
If you are disabled, pay no attention to my web prices. My goal is to help, not put the bite on you. PM me for my contact information

CARL9140 04-05-2014 08:43 PM

It's nice to see this group I'm recently disabled COPD rheumatoid arthritis, on oxygen,It's not easy only hunted 3 days last year.I'm hoping to hunt more this year .I started taking a friends son hunting. I just have to figure out the oxygen problem.

RWK 04-06-2014 11:12 AM

Copd, open heart, two replaced hips, prostate cancer,cartroid surgery and now both rotar cuffs gone i would like to find out were they went. And some one told me Fifty niffty.

Xbowhunter29 05-12-2014 09:03 PM

I just signed up due to this forum! Iam 21 years old and battle Limb Gerdle Muscular Dystrophy! A buddy of mine recently made a fundraiser to get me a action track wheelchair to help me continue hunting! Check this out and share with people if you would like!!! Thanks everyone!
Hello all hunters! Iam 21 years old and a very avid hunter from Norfolk Nebraska! I was diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy when i was 13 years old! Each and every day it is getting worse and worse! I hunt, film, and edit all my footage and my teammates footage! Iam a pro staff member for Buck Brothers Outdoors which is a Web based hunting show on vimeo, youtube, and facebook. One of my best friends started a fundraiser to get an Action Track Wheelchair which will keep me in the woods doing what i love! We have raised approximately $8,000 in two months and our goal is to make $13,000 by august! Mission Archery recently donated two compound bows to be raffled off by buying tickets! A ticket for the Mission Craze is $10 and a ticket for the Mission Ballistic is $15 a ticket! If any of you guys would be interested in the drawing or donating to the fund please go to this link and type in your name and number with your donation if you want to be in for the drawing just donated as much money as you would like for however many tickets you would like to have! This is the link: http://www.gofundme.com/84ts2k Thank you all so much and hope you guys can get in on this raffle and help for a great cause!!! Happy hunting and god bless -Tyson Freeman

nystr8shooter 07-05-2014 02:30 AM

I haven't logged on in a dog's age. So long in fact that my profile still showed NY as my home. I hope to be a visitor and contributor more often. My name is Rob and today's my 65th. birthday. I've been disabled since my late 30s with stenosis that led to a spinal C3-C5 fusion. Getting around is done with help from a walker or electric chair. Although I can access the Ocala National Forest by means of my UTV, I'd love to find some private land where I could hunt deer, turkey, and hogs. I fish too. Because I am a new resident of North Central Florida, I don't know many people. I'm always on the lookout for new hunting and fishing buddies. Even someone to talk to would be great. All replies welcome.

lootie da beers 07-23-2014 10:04 AM

Well, I guess I get to join the ranks as well. Back at Thanksgiving 2012, I slipped in my yard and fell flat on my butt. I got up and told my wife "I think I just broke my neck." I was just running my mouth. 3 week later my hands and feet are numb and my neck and shoulders were killing me. I go to doc and have MRI. They strap me to a stretcher and I got to surgery. 3 surgeries later, I am on a walker and still no feelings in my hands or feet but I am alive and can walk with a walker. I broke C-4 and C5 and the disc went backwards into my spinal cord and bruised it. I can't shoot anything but a .17 or .22. No bows but I can shoot a crossbow if I had one. I hope to learn stuff from all on here. Thanks for listening. ><> del

[email protected] 07-27-2014 08:19 AM

i two am disabled, i came down with guilliume barre syndrome in the chronic form and now have chronic hip/back and shoulder pain. i am unable to pull back a bow. I also have to use crutches to get around and still am only able to walk maybe 50 feet without stopping. i have not hunted in 4 yrs due to the amount of walking it takes to get to a stand. i would love to be able to hunt again. i am on SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY with the diagnosis of 100% disabled and unemployable.

AF Hunter 08-05-2014 02:57 PM

Shoot, I have suffered a stroke and 2 heart attacks after being declared 90% disabled by the military (or VA anyway). I can only pull my 40 lb bow back once a day now, can't walk more than 100 yards without being totally winded from blockage (which they say they'll address next year), and my knees and hips and right shoulder are in constant pain from arthritis. I hunt on good days and stay home on bad.

AF Hunter 08-13-2014 08:58 AM

bump - tired of seeing the spammer at the top of this forum